Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

[PS4] poor audio quality

Re: [PS4] poor audio quality

butaca
Regular
Low bitrate artifacts are audible independently of the setup. It's something easy to spot if you ears are somewhat trained. This is definitely an issue in the PS4.

Atomicric
Regular
It's Spotify.

butaca
Regular
But Spotify with the best quality is fine. It's not that bad. But the "normal" quality is the horror, the horror!

Atomicric
Regular
This issue has nothing to do with the compression that is selected and everything to do with how the app handles the audio output to the PS4.

butaca
Regular
I know. You can't even select the quality in the PS4 app (at least the last time I checked). My answer was in response to your "it's Spotify" message. I thought you were trying to say with that that Spotify has bad quality anyway. In other platforms, the difference between normal and best quality is enormous. Being the best the only one acceptable. I don't know the actual issue on the PS4 but you can clearly hear low bitrate compression artifacts. That's all.

Payne_
it sounds bad in general but i put DTS on and it's slightly better. i have Turtle Beach stealth 400s if that puts that in perspective

Rockman85

Hello, just wanted to add to the list of people who have noticed an issue. I used to stream from my PC to a high end DAC and Speakers setup. With premium the sound was acceptable, didnt notice TOO much of a difference from Tidal lossless. Rearranged my setup and now I run a ps4 to the same DAC and speakers, and I just cant get with it. I am constantly noticing how just... flat my music sounds coming out of the ps4. Its a constant disappointment. Are all these people imagining this spotify? Is this a collective hallucination or is there actually an issue, acknowledgment of the problem would be at the bare minimum an good faith gesture to the community.

conditionals
Casual Listener

Tried Spotify (Premium) on the PS4 last night for the first time - I wanted to play Overwatch with music overlaid ("Overlisten", if you will... ), so I could hear the sound effects.

Wow. Look, I'm not expecting sound comparable to vinyl on my HD650s, but I am expecting something at least comparable to Spotify on mobile. Alas, the sound was just as others have described. Atrocious. I tried a few different setups, including running my Sennheiser Momentums into the DualShock headphone out. Hahahahaha "music"

Laughable. This is why I usually use Apple Music - it doesn't promise any of these features (see also the spotty last.fm scrobbling from Spotify), and delivers as is. 

KingJames0
Casual Listener

For some reason Spotify still refuses to acknoledge this problem. This is clearly an issue on Spotify's side because you can clearly hear artifacts in songs that are streamed through the spotify app. I even decided to hook up my studio monitors (KRK Rokits) to my PS4 and music just sounds awful compared to all other apps that allow you to stream music. What is taking so long for them to simply fix the audio quality through the PS4 app?

Rafa_84
Casual Listener

Returned to spotify after a long time and what a surprise, spotify sounds terrible on the PS4. I don't know if that's related or not but when using spotify on the ps4 my subwoofer doesn't work at all.

SUGGESTED POSTS