Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playing Spotify on Multiple Amazon Echo Devices

Playing Spotify on Multiple Amazon Echo Devices

Amazon Echo has just been released to the UK today! - Whoop, and I bought 2!

Now I already read ahead of time that you couldn't play a single Spotify track on 2 different devices at the same time which was a shame; but I had already accepted that (hopefully that will be solved in the future)

But I didn't realise that I wouldn't be able to independantly control EITHER of my Echo devices and have them BOTH work with Spotify independantly.

For example;I move between my 2 primary rooms quite a lot (I work from home) and I'd like to ideally have the same song playing; but at a min be able to play different songs in different rooms.

If I play Spotify in Room A; and then go to Room B and ask it to Play Spotify; it stops the music in Room A

What's up with that!?!?!?!

Surely I should be able to play songs on my spotify account to each of the speakers at a min?

16 Replies

Sonos is the answer I think

I already have 2 Sonos speakers but Amazon Echo doesn't integrate YET.  

Funny though that within Sonos I can play to multiple rooms using Spotify embedded with either the same song or different songs; without 1 of them shutting down on me.

My ideal result is to be able to call Spotify from Amazon Echo and have it playing from all my Echo + Sonos speakers at the same time!

I just canceled my Spotify subscription due to this. We have a handfull of Echo Dots and our main Echo and, even on Family plan, we cannot have Spotify playing in different rooms at the same time. The only way to do it is to assign each Echo to a different Amazon/Spotify account, which is not desired.

For what it's worth, the new Amazon Music Unlimited Family plan works the way we want it to -- I just confirmed this weekend. You can play songs from one Amazon account on multiple devices. I'd rather have Spotify for the Roku and Google support, but this will do for now.

I just found this out last night.  I have two Echo Dots.  Music was playing from Spotify in one room.  I moved to another room and played a song from Spotify, not realizing that the track playing in the other room stopped!   The people in the first room, surprised that their track stopped, requested the track again, and then my track stopped in the other room.... This went back and forth for a couple iterations until we figured out what was happening.

On that note, my Spotify subscription is history.... back to Amazon Music Unlimited I go... with haste!

"The only way to do it is to assign each Echo to a different Amazon/Spotify account, which is not desired"

Why is this not desired? I thought as part of the Premiun Family package you have to have seperate Spotify accounts anyway so can't you just configure each Dot with its own account?

Most Echo users have all of their Echos under one Amzon account. Within the account you are only able to configure one Spotify account. Tha account is used by all Echos under the Amazon account. Even if you have a Spotify family plan, you are only allowed to enter one login. Amazon would have to allow Amazon account users to be able to individually configure each Echo with a separate Spotify account, but even that solution would not be desired because, in my case, I would not want my Spotify account configured on one Echo and my wife's Spotify account on the other. My playlists would be missing on one of the Echos. Spotify and Echo are doing a great job so far, but they have a long way to go to satisfy all of its user's needs.

Please correct me if any of the info I provided is wrong.

I wish this would get resolved.  Has anyone found a workaround other than separate Amazon accounts?

The "work around" is to "walk around" your house with your phone/tablet in hand and when you walk into a different room in your house you tell spotify to swich devices to the echo/echo dot in that room.

I am pretty sure that selecting an echo as a device to stream music to from the spotify app uses the spotify account configured on your device and not the account configured in your echo/Alexa app.

You should technically be able to have one device with one spotify account play music from one echo and another device with another spotify account play music from another echo in your house all under one wifi network.

I really wish we could set up Alexa with multiple Spotify accounts, set one as the default and just tell Alexa: Play this playlist/album/song from this spotify account and boom! My music starts playing. This doesn't seem like a hard thing to program. It's AMAZON after all. If they can deliver packages via drones they can do anything!

That's not working for my use case.  I am upstairs, and want to listen to the music I want on the Echo upstairs.  My daughter is downstairs, and listening on the Echo down there.  Despite the fact we have a family Spotify account, it appears Amazon is only letting us connect one Spotify account, which is creating this issue of her music requests trumping mine, and so on. Pretty messed up.  Maybe Amazon needs to improve their Prime Family options like Spotify did.

Thanks to Black Friday, I have another two echos on the way so this is going to be a problem. Can you confirm that with Amazon unlimited you can definitely stream different songs to different echos concurrently?

Can you also play the same track on both echos (e.g. party mode)?

If so will definitely switch. 

Many thanks. 

@Sledge89 wrote:

Thanks to Black Friday, I have another two echos on the way so this is going to be a problem. Can you confirm that with Amazon unlimited you can definitely stream different songs to different echos concurrently?

Can you also play the same track on both echos (e.g. party mode)?

If so will definitely switch. 

Many thanks. 

I'm not sure about different songs, but their multi-device groups allows you to play the same song on both devices at the same time, with Amazon Music.

Just got my second Echo this weekend and I'm pretty upset that I can't have it play Spotify across both at the same time. May be time to leave Spotify.

Switch, or just get, a Pandora paid account. Pandora has no issues playing on multiple Echos/Dots. 

Nice one, Spotify. Pandora is doing an end around on you and you're letting them.

Just started my 99 cent 3 month trial yesterday and was loving it. My Everywhere group (Echo Plus and 2 Echo Dots) showed up in devices available. When I clicked on it I had Christmas music playing on all 3 Echos. When I tried again today, the Everywhere group was no longer listed. Maybe it worked because I had Spotify running on my PC when I upgraded to premium, don't know. This limitation is caused by Spotify, not Amazon. Pandora, iHeartRadio and the other music services supported by Echo can all play in groups. Hopefully Spotify enables groups by the end of my trial or I'll be cancelling my subscription too.

It's working again!!! Listening to Pink Floyd right now on 3 Echos. I don't know if Spotify changed something in the past hour or so, but after restarting my PC and 3 Echos the Everywhere group showed up again and worked!!!

Now try playing separate Pink Floyd songs on the Echos and it fails, that’s the frustrating thing that I wish Amazon\Spotify would fix!

It's still hit or miss. Yesterday I had all 3 playing then one of the Dots stopped. Today the same Dot is still not working. I can ask it what's playing and it tells me the correct song. I can ask it to pause, skip tracks, etc and it works but no music.

Still can't start Spotify on the everywhere group from an Echo. Alexa responds by saying "Sorry I can't play Spotify on groups, playing here instead...." At least the apps are partially working. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Suggested posts