Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playing to devices not on the local network.

Playing to devices not on the local network.

Hi

Ive got a Marantz SR7011 AV receiver with Spotify connect. 

When I first got it it came on through the night full blast and made my brand new speakers smoke I was very lucky they weren't completely ruined. It turned out my account had been hacked and some lad in Mexico was having a laugh at my expense ( voiding my speakers warranty in the process). I'm very concerned that my device can be operated by someone not on my local network. My Girlfriend has a Marantz CR511 music streamer and I'm able to turn it on and play to it from my house 20 miles away. 

Is there a security setting im missing somewhere? This seems very unsafe and has already caused damage once.

Thanks

Scott

1 Reply

Hey @sgoaty, help's here.

We appreciate your concern, and sorry to hear this has happened. First and foremost, Spotify has not been compromised and your data is secure with us. We take many precautions to make sure our users details are safe such as monitoring Pastebin and other sites regularly.

If you still think someone else has access to your account, check out this help article for further assistance.

Regarding the Connect feature, you don't have to worry about someone having access to your local network through your Spotify login. What might've happened is that your speaker was last connected to your account. Whenever a device was last connected to an account, that session is saved and the specific account can connect to the same speaker outside the network until your account connects to another speaker. Note: An account must still have access to your WiFi network to connect to the speaker, so don't worry about someone outside getting access to it.

To solve this, simply follow the steps provided in the link. 

Hope that helps 🙂

Suggested posts