Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists on Echo?

Solved!

Playlists on Echo?

I am a new Premium User.  I have an iPhone 6, a Windows desktop, an iPad, and an Amazon Echo.  I have had other music services in the past, such as Deezer, Amazon Prime, and Apple music.  But I signed up for Spotify because of its support for Amazon Echo.

I am having a very hard time trying to navigate the mess that is Spotify.    I would like Spotify to learn from my listening habits and suggest music for me to listen to.  Deezer did this brilliantly and effortlessly.  You could just ask it to Flow and it would play its best guess about what you like or don't based on your likes and listening history.   Spotify seems totally lost.   You can't even like songs from what I can see.  Or else you can, but only on certain devices and when playing certain streams that I haven't found yet.  You certainly can't do it on Echo.

So I am looking for a way to get some playlists that are to my taste based on my listening history and play them on Echo.  Or if that isn't possible, to at least search for some playlists on my desktop or phone, add those to my library, and then ask Alexa to play them.  Even this seems impossible.  I search for playlists on the Desktop, and you cannot add them to your library.  Instead you have to "Follow" them, whatever that means, and then they aren't in your library, and they certainly aren't accessible in Echo.

In an act of desperation, I created a playlist of my own called "Test" and added one song to it, and then tried to play that on Echo by saying "Alexa, play the playlist Test on Spotify".  This resulted in Alexa playing something totally different.

I do not want to create my own playlists.

Help!

37 Replies

The only solution I have found to this, is that it actually only plays the generic libraries or generic artists when spotify is set as your default music library, so e.g. I can say play Kasabian, and it will play on shuffle all there songs easily from spotify, I can say from the genres and moods tab on spotify play 'Chill' and it will play it easily. I presume that Spotify have not enabled custom playlists to be played and therefore this is the only features and there is some misunderstanding here, until Spotify properly clarify it though that's the best solution I have come up with and I have had mine a few weeks now. Also tip if you are british and you want to change your wake word to computer, pronounce it as 'combuder' and it works every time, lol.

Sometimes I have to rename a playlist so that I can start it with Alexa!
Marked as solution

I don't know if there was an update or if it's solved now but I'm just a new user and for me it works like this "Alexa, play the playlist 'amazon' from Spotify" the amazon between ' ' is my playlist's name

You need to make Spotify the default music account on the echo for this to work.  It is auto set to amazon 

I'm having the same problem as some others, I am in the UK so wonder if it is a UK restriction. I have tried renaming playlists, its my default music service and tried re-connecting everything. I can only find generic playlists of ones created by Spotify i.e. discover weekly. 

Would love to hear is anyone in the UK with a UK Alexa account has this working? 

Marked as solution

As I've said several times before, you need to have a paid - for Spotify account. Create your playlists, then tell Alexa 'Alexa, play playlist '. You can then tell her to skip track,  pause, resume etc. 
Geoff. 

I have read the whole thread, I have Spotify premium, I am using the phraseology above and it is my default music service. 

When I link to my USA alexa account it works but not my UK one. 

Then I can only think you have something wrong in your settings. 
I have a premium account and it works fine. And I'm in the UK. 

Thanks, 

that rules out the geographic, did you have a us alexa account also? That the only other thing I can't think my amazon account is linked and the us alexa account I had before echo came to the uk. 

It is all there in the Alexa app. Just go to Settings then Music and Media and make sure you have set the right account for Spotify and that it is your default music service.

For me it was a matter of changing playlist names until one worked in Alexs play  "playlist name" on Spotify.

hi m8 - uk here

same for me as well...used top say > alexa, play my "cheesy" playlist, and she did....same with ANY OTHER playlist i had on spotify..until 5 days ago...not thing is not finiding any of my playlists - sure, you can still ask for songs and artists, and it will play what u ask, just NO SELF MADE PLAYLISTS - #JOKE

you gotta laugh when  all you see is other sposters saying  - oh you need to do is set it as default blh blah blah - 

some of us have been with alexa since the dam thing came out, and know fine well how it all works, and thats a load of **bleep** !

what utter tosh !!!

In the end I opened a case with Spotify, they made a privacy change on my account, I then had to remove Spotify within the alexa app and re-add and it worked. I had a setting that makes all my playlists private until I share them with someon. 

I have a premium spotify account. I have linked it to my echo as the default music service. Anytime I ask alexa to "play my XX playlist" the response is "I cannot find XX in your music library. Amazon account is UK. Spotify account is UK. And yes, I have turned it off and turned it on again, de registered and re registered, unlinked and relinked.... still the same problems - has anyone found a way of getting Alexa to find the spotify playlists in their spotify library??

I have a premium spotify account. It is set as the default music service for my amazon echo. Alexa ALWAY says it cannot find my xx playlist in my music library...... or it will play some random playlist from spotify - had zero success getting it to play my playlist. Had a 30 min phone conversation with Tech Help at Amazon - they had no solution (tried all the delete it re install it etc etc, changed the playlist names, removed the capital letters - nothing works) - anyone found a solution? Where is the fault with spotify or amazon?

I am in the UK and Alexa responds as though the playlist will play but then it doesn’t. I am currently on trial with Spotify - is that perhaps the issue

Be great to get some more detail on that.

Suggested posts