Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcasts - Mark all as Played

Solved!

Podcasts - Mark all as Played

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

My Question or Issue

Podcasts are on Spotify now, but compared to many other completely free podcast players, they seem to lack basic functions. 

One is there is no option to 'Mark all as played'. If I am to start moving my podcasts over to Spotify, any podcasts I have already listened to (in some cases, 100s) of episodes already I would want to mark as done. I do not want to mark these as played individually (which only seems to be a function on Android), so why can there not be a 'mark all' option?

This seems like a fairly basic feature, or am I wrong?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

We appreciate all your feedback regarding podcasts on Spotify.

Going forward, we would like to refer you to the Idea Exchange as it is the best way of providing your feedback on any features you'd like to see implemented.

There is an existing idea which suggests a change similar to the one many of you have requested here - feel free to add your vote to it here .

If you'd like to suggest something different, however, you can always submit a new idea for it.

For more info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange, make sure to check out this Spotify Answer.

Thanks! 

View solution in original post

16 Replies

This missing feature has stopped me moving to spotify from another platform.

There needs to be a setting to tell it to just play the most recent episode.

I am in the process of moving over from my favorite Android podcast app because I want to have my podcasts synched between all of my devices. I need to be able to mark all as played to mirror my progess from my previous app. Being able to mark all as played, or to 'select multiple' and have 'all' and a selection would greatly help, and make this process easier for us coming over. Currently I am going through my podcasts and skipping to the end on my PC, and marking individual episodes as 'played' in the Andoid app. Please make this update (hopefully) before I go crazy!

I don't understand how this feature, essential for any regular podcast listener, hasn't been implemented yet.

I did even ask someone @Spotify to push for this - no result even there.

I was in the process of moving some podcasts over to spotify to try it out, when I discovered this missing feature. This limitation makes it impossible to switch to Spotify from another pod-player. I'm not going to go through 400+ episodes marking each one as played individually(and that would just be for one podcast).

This is a real bummer. I wanted to switch to spotify for podcasts because spotify has much better sonos support than the podcast player I'm currently using(pocketcasts).

Also, you can't even mark single podcast epidoses as played on the desktop app.

Hello @LexBud@halley_carleton@3DBlaster@bhanquier@BassManDan and the rest,

Podcasts is something we started not so long ago. If you have any feedback on how to improve something, we recommend creating an idea in the Ideas Exchange.

We're always looking to improve the app so we hope to see this idea in the Ideas Exchange soon.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

I hope you take all of the above into consideration!  I really want to only use Spotify as my music and podcast app but struggle with the lack of basic functionalities (mark all as played, mark as played on desktop and mobile, etc). When is the next release planned for? 

Any news from Spotify on this? I too want to move over from Overcast (which I love), but am hoping to have all of my audio in one spot. Disappointing.

I just tried switching to Spotify as my podcast player. The test lasted 30 minutes. 

After listening to the new episode of a podcast Spotify continued to play a old episode. I can't mark old episodes as already played. It's a really strange feature to be missing. That said, even if it's fixed there appear to be a ton of small features that need to be added to make Spotify a serious consideration:

- A queue of podcasts to play

- Prioritization of podcast in the queue

- Setting the # of previous episodes to keep in the queue

- Podcast specific searching

- Playback speed options

- Ability to download podcasts (and configure which ones get downloaded)

foreach(podcast in podcasts)

{

podcast.played = true;

}

You're welcome 🙂

Sounds interesting, where and how is this supposed to be run?

I think they were suggesting to Spotify that the code they need to implement is actually quite basic... which it probably is... I don't know why I can't mark all podcasts as played. I moved to Spotify from Apple Podcasts because in Apple Podcasts you can't order episodes oldest to newest. Are UX designers for these companies people who don't listen to podcasts?

haha yeah that makes more sense! Wishful thinking I guess. I went as far as getting an Android device to be remote controlled by a PC using ugly cursor controlled macros to sit there and go through them one by one.

You can change the order of the podcasts to Oldest to Newest in Apple Podcasts though, it's in each of the show settings. You can also ask it to reverse the order of playback controls from something like headphones or a car stereo.

Same here. Tomorrow I am going to play podcast and will not know where the heck I ended up. 😕
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

We appreciate all your feedback regarding podcasts on Spotify.

Going forward, we would like to refer you to the Idea Exchange as it is the best way of providing your feedback on any features you'd like to see implemented.

There is an existing idea which suggests a change similar to the one many of you have requested here - feel free to add your vote to it here .

If you'd like to suggest something different, however, you can always submit a new idea for it.

For more info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange, make sure to check out this Spotify Answer.

Thanks! 

Suggested posts