Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Poor sound quality when playing from Spotify from PS4

Poor sound quality when playing from Spotify from PS4

Connected my PS4 to my stereo via optic. Unfortunatelly the sound quality is really poor. I get a "tin" sound and sibilants are really unpure. Bass is muddled and overall it's far from a satifying listening experience.

I use the same setup when I'm playing games, but have no problems whatsoever with the quality there. 

I tried to connect My stereo to the TV, but the sound quality didn't improve. I have played around with the setting on the stereo, the PS4 and the TV, but to no avail. I have Also tried the various tips and tricks found on the internet.

I would be verk greatful if anyone had any sollution to this problem. I like Spotify, and i Love My stereo, and wouldn't want to change any of them if i don't really have to. The stereo is a bit old, but the sound is amazing. At first i thought that IT was the fact that i had to use a opical to RCA converter, but I use the same for gamling, and get crystal sound. 

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ps. Using Spotify premium

5 Replies

Hey @PapaUbu, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Have you tried setting a different Sound Quality within the app? Since you're a Premium user, we recommend you to use High or Extreme Quality when streaming.

Also, refreshing your offline devices by deleting them here may make a difference.

If this doesn't help, let us know and we'll take a closer look at this.

Have a great one 🙂

Hello Alejandra, thank you for welcoming me and for your help!

I have Extreme quality on My iPad and iPhone, I don't know if that transfer to my

Playstation, I can't find any sound quality settings on the PS4.

I also tries the link you gave me, but couldn't find any units on it. It just syays "you don'thave any offline devices.

The weird thing is that when I use the same setup for a game or a movie the sound is great, first I thought it was the setup, but everything but Spotify sounds great.

Thanks for your help!

/Daniel

This has been a problem for a really long time. 

It has something to do with the way spotify is converted to one of the three PS4 sound output formats I think (PCM, Dolby, DTS). All of these sound horrible, in their own way (one lacks bass, the other has huge bass, and over all, it sounds like your 5K system just became a boombox). Several things need to happen before I will ever use this app again. 

1. I don't think the sound quality/bitrate is the same as on other devices for premium users, so this needs to change ASAP! 

2. The way it is delivered to your amp/receiver needs to be looked at, because there is something really wrong there. Don't know if that should be done by Sony or Spotify, but it needs to be looked at! 

3. The UI is an absolute **bleep**, I can live with this though, as long as 1 and 2 are fixed.

If you google this issue, it has been around for over 2 years, and seeing Alejandar reply above, I think there is absolutely nobody who is working on it, or even cares. 

Solved the problem, bought a chromecast audio! The difference is amazing!

Since the big update of PS4 Spotify sounds terrible. High notes are poor. The letter S in words sounds like snakes...

Suggested posts