Announcements

Premium Means No Ads. So WHY Podcast ads?

Premium Means No Ads. So WHY Podcast ads?

Montesi
Music Fan

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 13

My Question or Issue

I pay for my subscription. Every month for years now. The main reason I am a paid-for subscriber with Spotify is so I don't have to hear ads. As I have shifted my podcast listening from other providers to Spotify to bypass ads, both from the platform as well as integrated into the content.

I expect not to hear ads on Spotify. I understand there are ads woven into the actual content of the podcast itself, but for as big of a company and the amount of leverage Spotify has, I expect to not hear ads so long as I am paying for the service.

I reached out to Spotify and got this lazy, generic answer from Joy in Spotify Customer Support: “if you're hearing ads on podcasts using this Premium account. It's possible that the podcaster integrated that ads to their podcast content”. Thanks for breaking your back on that response.

I KNOW what the ads I’m hearing are. And I understand they can’t ask podcasters to export two versions, one with integrated ads and one without. What I expect from Spotify is to either implement metadata that tags the beginning and ending of ad segments and bypass them for us, Premium subscribers, or require podcasters to give metadata timecodes that Spotify can identify to bypass them AUTOMATICALLY.

Just to be clear, even if these identifiers are put into the content, I don’t want to have to pull my phone out to hit any sort of “skip ads” button. This is literally the ONLY reason users have Premium. So get rid of the ads. It’s actually very simple. And let’s not get started on how archaic it is to continually hit the “15sec forward” button to bypass the ads, first over shooting, then undershooting the duration of the integrated ad, only to have to make peace with hearing the last ten seconds of the ad. At that point it’s not servicing either party in the transaction.

It’s 2020. You are a huge company with a lot of leverage and a huge developer budget. I honestly can’t believe I’m even having to write this suggestion.

tl,dr - Spotify, I am a Premium member. You made a promise to me that if I became a Premium member, I wouldn’t hear ads. I’m hearing ads on podcasts. Integrated or not, I don’t care. You have the technology and power to fix it. So fix it. And make it automatic. It’s 2020.

34 Replies

Re: Premium Means No Ads. Spotify Needs to Fix This in Podcasts

Billy-J
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @Montesi, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I completely understand your concern, as I also listen to podcasts on Spotify. 

What the customer service rep said is correct. While Spotify doesn’t play ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers, some podcast creators may include third-party advertising, host-read endorsements or sponsorship messages in their episodes.

If this is something you’d like to see change in the future, you can always create a new Idea about this here, and I'll also pass your feedback on to the right folks.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Billy-JRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Montesi
Music Fan

You get no 'like' and this is absolutely not an acceptable solution. Your reply is just more gloss-over garbage, like the response I got from Spotify Customer Service. 

Spotify Premium users want strong action regarding getting rid of ads. It is LITERALLY the main reason customers pay for the service. Otherwise why do it?

And please spare me, what I am suggesting is well within Spotify's capability. It is in no way unethical or hindering the "listening experience". I pay Spotify every month so I don't hear ads. I am now currently hearing ads. While Spotify continues to take my money. It is that simple.

Billy, if there is anything else I need from you, it is to keep your pandering to yourself. You say you are not an employee, but you sure sound like one.

I, like a lot of Spotify Premium users, want Spotify to honor their part of the agreement. NO ADS, integrated into the content or not. Require metadata to be given along with each episode of a podcast, or create it yourself.

I have no idea why I am getting any sort of pushback from Spotify on this topic, other than maybe its easier to play both sides against the other? Or they don't want to upset the podcast creators? At the end of the day, Spotify should have its Premium users' interests at the forefront. I am not seeing that with this issue.

Montesi
Music Fan

🤠

Billy-J
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @Montesi,

You are right, that the ads within the podcasts are integrated. This means that they are put there by the content creator themselves. Spotify can't alter the content of the artists and supply it to users in the same form, as received.

As a Premium subscriber, you won’t receive any ads from Spotify, but from third parties, endorsed by the content creators. If you have an issue with these ads, then I’d recommend reaching out directly to the podcast creators. There is also some more information on ads in podcasts in this Spotify Answer.

Billy-JRock Star 24
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Montesi
Music Fan

Billy,

Your response is absolutely ludicrous. So you are *seriously* suggesting I reach out to every single podcast creator and ask them to remove their income stream by discontinuing ads? It really shows how insanely out of touch you are on this subject.

If a podcast gets advertising dollars for an integrated ad that is a part of the actual podcast, and Spotify creates metadata cues that go into place for Premium users...please keep in mind here when I say "Premium users" I mean customers of Spotify who pay a monthly subscription price to not hear ads...that bypass said integrated ads because there have been markers at the beginning and end of the adspace in the content, the podcasters who got paid for those ads STILL get paid for those ads. Because they are STILL integrated in the content.

But I as a Spotify Premium user...please try to remember that means I have paid my monthly fee not to hear the ads...don't hear those ads. Because Spotify has created metadata in its platform, which they have complete control over, that bypasses those ads automatically for me.

On a very related note, your previous response about Spotify not actually putting ads in is incorrect. I will use "The Journal." by The Wall Street Journal & Gimlet as an example. When it cuts to a commercial break in those podcasts in Spotify, even for Premium users, the content playing SWITCHES from the podcast to a completely different piece of content that is labeled as "Advertisement" with it's own playbar, runtime, and title. After the ad plays, Spotify switches it BACK to the podcast I had actually played, picking up where it left off. That IS Spotify doing it, no matter who endorsed its doing. 

I have included two screenshots of this as proof.

I just want to know, at what point is Spotify going to either admit that Premium users are in fact going to be subjected to ads, even though the selling point for Premium was exactly the opposite, or do something about it and actually give Premium users the experience they promised when taking our subscription money every month?

Spotify Podcast Screenshot.PNG
Spotify Podcast Screenshot Advertisement.PNG

Elena

Hey @Montesi!

Thanks for posting about this on our Community!

We'll be happy to explain a bit more about this. Spotify gives the podcast hosts the option to choose if they would like to have a dynamic ad slot in their podcast.

You can find more info on this here. We understand that many of the creators that you're listening to seem to be using that option but that is not something Spotify can control - it's up to the individual podcast owners if they choose to have that type of ad in their content.

We see that you have posted an idea about changing that and it's marked as new which means that people can vote for it and show their support.

You can learn more about how ideas reach the right teams here.

Hope this explains the situation. We'll be here if you have any other questions. 

ElenaModerator

Montesi
Music Fan

Elena,

I don't know where the disconnect is with you all, but I was never looking for any clarification on getting ads on Spotify. Believe me, I know I'm listening to them.

The part ALL of you at Spotify REFUSE to address is that us PREMIUM members aren't supposed to be hearing any ads at all, dynamic ad or not.

Here's where I'm coming from. As a premium user, I shouldn't even have to know the difference between an integrated ad or a dynamic ad. The agreement between me paying Spotify a monthly fee is LITERALLY that I DO NOT HEAR ADS.

METADATA. To bypass integrated ads. I KNOW SOMEONE at Spotify has heard of it.

Elena, Billy, EVERYONE else at Spotify. Quit avoiding the actual issue I am bringing up. Tell me why I'm hearing ads as a Premium user. And tell me how you are going to get rid of them. Integrated or Dynamic. 

Montesi
Music Fan

@elena

Looks like this is one of those things Spotify is sweeping under the rug because it's more profitable to lie to customers and make sure there are as many revenue streams as possible?

Loopmoth
Casual Listener

Dear Montesi I agree with what you are saying. I'm tired of paying a premium for no advertisings, listening to podcasts and hearing a lot of sponsered content. Some podcasts play ads beginning middle and end of shows as standard and it's super annoying. If this happened with the music there'd be uproar. So, as my listening is now mostly podcast releated, I'm thinking of switching over to a better quality podcast provider if this isn't resolved, which is a pity as I used to quite like Spotify.

SUGGESTED POSTS