Announcements

Premium Means No Ads. So WHY Podcast ads?

Re: Premium Means No Ads. Spotify Needs to Fix This in Podcasts

sjohuvud
Regular

@HotGuac wrote:

Spotify is 100% inserting ads into podcasts for premium subscribers. If I look at my phone when it happens its treated as a separate audio track that isn't part of the podcast episode. This is not host-read ad copy. The hosts haven't hacked the app to insert these ads. It's Spotify. If creators are selecting some option for ads to be inserted the ads should only show up for free users. This is a Spotify issue not a podcast host issue.

Yes, this is certainly the case. I listen to Irish podcasts and I live in Sweden. There are ads for McDondalds Sweden (in Swedish) in the middle of my podcast from Ireland.

I've been a premium customer for almost a decade. I am currently exploring alternative streaming platforms.

Re: Premium Means No Ads. So WHY Podcast ads?

a_l_d_u
Visitor

I totally agree @Montesi ! This is BS. I'm from Germany and all big podcasts that reached a certain size started all of the sudden to put in commercials. This move made them unreliable. #gemischteshack #festundflauschig #baywatchberlin and so on.. I understand it's all business and they have the right to earn money how they want. But I'm not stupid to pay money to get commercials. So basically I stopped listening to them and their endless commercial BS. The only big one left is JoeRogan who got s##t lot of money. I hope he will not become greedy and start commercials too. Why can't I block these Podcasts like an artist I really don't understand. RAGE. Please Spotify add at least this function.  

LanceRacing

Why is there nothing being done on this issue? Spotify has done 0% to correct this problem. Just sending a reply is not a solution. We want to know why we are paying for ad free entertainment but this receiving ads. It’s super simple! 

moeded

What is the deal? Why am I getting ads with a family premium account?? I hate being lied to. "Dynamic ads"?? give me a break. What is dynamic about them? They are ads

AngryPrmumCstmr
Casual Listener

The fact that few months ago you were trying to disguise this as "a thing the creators do" is disgusting. It was obvious and now well known that those adds are added by Spotify, if not manually by its "Intelligent Ads System".

Instead of replying with nonsensical answers why don't you just say that this is a decision taken by management just for the sake of profit and you have no power to do anything. Bye and good luck!

toutdoux
Visitor

Same problem here it’s totally unacceptable and the spotify support team actually refusing to acknowledge the problem is seriously infuriating, i’ve paid for the premium family account for more than 4 years and never heard one single ad. 
Until today while listening to Joe Rogan the podcast got interrupted to play an ad for wealthsimple (see screenshot).

i’ve read the thread and I’m definitly going to cancel my subscription this is a ripoff and wil strongly suggest that my friend do the same. I’d rather listen to youtube where there’s plenty of ads but at least it’s free and they don’t have to lie to you on top of it.

Good Job Spotify 👍

DCD1E0B8-C526-4F99-856F-31B712CF97B1.png

Seppli
Visitor

If the content creator him/herself inserts the ad than I get why Spotify doesn’t do anything. Those are two different revenue streams that don’t cross.

BUT when Spotify plays an dynamic ad than I have to assume that they get a cut and the creator gets the other half or whatever the ratio is. Here imho they absolutely can skip the ad slot for premium users and still pay the creator. 
YouTube basically does the same thing with premium users (I think they actually pay more if you’re a premium user. Linus Tech Tips said on WAN Show something along those lines)

I’m glades that we still can skip the ads...

Tobeuss
Music Fan

This is not true. I’m a Premium member and you all are interjecting ads into the middle of podcasts. They stop the podcast, run their course, then return users to the podcast. I expect them up front, but right in the middle? No thank you, especially since I pay for your service to begin with.

Tobeuss
Music Fan
CA$$$H!

Tobeuss
Music Fan

I looked on the page for the podcast in which I’ve found these intrusive ads but I’ve found no contact info. Can you provide the Joe Rogan Experience’s contact info so I can reach out and ask what you’ve suggested we need to ask. If you’re going to blame them, I’d like to be able to reach out and confirm.

Sj2z
Visitor
I agree this **bleep** been a subscriber for 5+ years and am a premium subscriber now. If this keeps up I’m out

gtrmike5150
Regular
Same here. I doubt it will really change anything as they have millions of subscribers.

b7tjnw8vzywnkcm

I'm still in the premium trial period and came here following (JRE) and given what I've seen and the response to it I can't agree to pay a premium price just to get ads. If I'm going to get ads and interruptions then I might as well use the free version and get what I pay for.

arte_nm
Casual Listener
Listen to this person.
If you ever have doubts about paying for Spotify Premium, just look up all the very simple issues that haven't been resolved for 3, 5, 7 +.
Its a complete joke, with the amount of money and dev power those people have.

Look up the problems like repeating the same songs over and over again. It has been happening for many years. You could basically learn how to make a shuffle function in an hour.

Spotifys best tactic is to have this forum where people shout and vent their frustration and have an illusion of something being done. Spotify is trash.

Mihail

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out and voicing your opinion.

We understand where you're coming from and will make sure all your feedback reaches the right teams. That being said, we need to be able to accurately gather data on this particular request and we don't think that this thread is contributing to this goal.

In an effort to bring more visibility to this topic and explain it thoroughly, we have floated this reply by @Elena which has information regarding how the ads you encounter in podcasts come about. There you will also find a link to this idea that requests that all such ads are removed for Premium users. You can add your support there, we'll inform on any developments in the Status Update, as soon as there are any. 

We want to focus the discussion in the linked idea and gather quantitative data from everyone's votes. We also want to ensure the information provided here does not go under. As such, we'll be closing this thread off for future comments. If you want to post to contribute on the topic, please do so as described above.

Thank you.

MihailModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards
SUGGESTED POSTS