Announcements

Premium Means No Ads. So WHY Podcast ads?

Elena

Hey @Montesi!

Thanks for posting about this on our Community!

We'll be happy to explain a bit more about this. Spotify gives the podcast hosts the option to choose if they would like to have a dynamic ad slot in their podcast.

You can find more info on this here. We understand that many of the creators that you're listening to seem to be using that option but that is not something Spotify can control - it's up to the individual podcast owners if they choose to have that type of ad in their content.

We see that you have posted an idea about changing that and it's marked as new which means that people can vote for it and show their support.

You can learn more about how ideas reach the right teams here.

Hope this explains the situation. We'll be here if you have any other questions. 

Re: Premium Means No Ads. So WHY Podcast ads?

Westabrook
Casual Listener

I HAVE A SOLUTION.

First off, I 100% agree that premium users should not be forced to see ads. Second, I understand the position spotify is in is not great since taking out the ads could cause Podcasters to avoid promoting spotify or cause them to pull their content off spotify all together. 

SOLUTION (for premium users only): Offline mode. That's it, just download a few dozen episodes and set it to offline mode. No ads, unless the podcast is old enough to use the old standard (non-dynamic) method of embedding the ads into the actual recording. The idea behind dynamic ads relies on a continuous connection to the internet, cut off the internet (which is a premium only feature) and the podcast has no way of communicating with its ad servers. I've tested this out on many shows, it's inconvenient but it works.

Loopmoth
Casual Listener

Hi, thanks for your reply but this doesn't work for me on my phone and the desktop version won't allow downloading.

Alex

Hi there @Loopmoth,

Thanks for bringing this up.

Downloading podcasts is not currently possible on the Desktop version, but you should be able to do it on Mobile. Check this article for more info. If downloading podcasts doesn't work for you on the Mobile app, give us more info on what's happening exactly. 

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

Re: Premium Means No Ads. Spotify Needs to Fix This in Podcasts

Willewiking

You are absolutely correct. Hearing ads on my Spotify premium is absolutely disgusting. The reason I have been a customer of Spotify premium for over 5 years is that so I NEVER EVER have to hear any ads while I'm listening to music. The fact that they have implemented a way to force us to listen to ads anyway makes me sick. I switched to Spotify for my podcast-listening this year, and now I can't even use it to listen to some of the podcasts I want to check out, because I get bombarded with ads all of a sudden.

Just IMAGINE how annoying it is to listen to a spooky mysterious podcast and then suddenly get interrupted by a stupid ad about some stupid medical service!! 

I hate this feature and unless it gets fixed for us premium users I can never suggest anyone to use Spotify, let alone use it to listen to podcasts anymore myself.

It is absolutely horrendous!

Elena

Hey @Willewiking!

We appreciate your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward and we're sorry to hear you feel this way.

There is an active idea here about changing this behavior of the app here. You can leave a +Vote to support it.

The Community team talks with various other Spotify teams several times a month about ideas that have reached top status. Learn more here.

Hope this info helps. We'll be here if there's anything else we can do for you.

ElenaModerator

Montesi
Music Fan

That doesn't fix the integrated ads problem. So, it's technically NOT a solution.

MattTyler
Visitor

I just encountered this also for the first time. Im not a podcast listener but decided to try to get into it tonight and put a comedy podcast on while in the bath. Nice and relaxed then it happens, by the comedians themselves. At first I thought it was a joke, a sketch but it carried on, several of them. So angry, I pay for premium to have no ads, so why are they there. Outrageous, rip off and a lie. Joke. Really spoilt it. Two years or more I have been paying for premium to not ruin my listening experience with advertisements, this is an absolute con. SORT IT OUT SPOTIFY YOU CHEAP MONEY GRABBING RIP OFF MERCHANTS

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. 

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

HotGuac
Casual Listener

Spotify is 100% inserting ads into podcasts for premium subscribers. If I look at my phone when it happens its treated as a separate audio track that isn't part of the podcast episode. This is not host-read ad copy. The hosts haven't hacked the app to insert these ads. It's Spotify. If creators are selecting some option for ads to be inserted the ads should only show up for free users. This is a Spotify issue not a podcast host issue.

HotGuac
Casual Listener

@Elena 

If Spotify created the option for "dynamic ads" to be played during the podcasts.... then Spotify can make it so that option doesn't play for premium users.

Your response makes no sense.

Spotify: "We've created an option that plays ads to everyone listening to podcasts"

Premium Users: "Change it so it only plays for free users"

Spotify: "Sorry, the option was selected by the content creators. There's nothing we can do."

SUGGESTED POSTS