Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problems with Spotify service on my Sonos

Solved!

Problems with Spotify service on my Sonos

I've had Sonos for over a year plus have been a premium accoutn holder for over a year.

Spotify used to work fine on my Sonos, but has recently shown 'unable to browse music'.

I have removed the account from Sonos and tried to recreate, but when I enter my username and password it says that it the Spotify server does not recognise it.

My primary reason for Soptfiy premium was to play on Sonos - can you please help?

Regards,

Paul 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Same problem - I can log into my Spotify account with Sonos, but I get an error that Spotify cannot browse the music and upon attemting to play tracks I get a long error message basically stating that the Spotify login information is not valid ...

... but the exact same information is valid for my iPhone (and for adding the Spotify service to Sonos) both a few minutes before and after. Sonos and Spotify have worked for me without such troubles the last 4 months, why is there suddenly a problem!?

I have tried removing and readding Spotify, then changing the Spotify device password and removing and adding Spotify again. First I was not allowed to add Spotify at all, but after changing the password I was allowed to add Spotify again, but it still cannot browse music...  

I have placed a diagnostics ticket with Sonos; (confirmation number is: 2089507) but is the problem actually with Sonos or Spotify?

Best regards,

Soeren

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Everyone with this issue should log it with the Sonos support forum or staff - the Spotify service for Sonos is run from their servers and, when I've had to deal with their support in the past, they are very attentive
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

View solution in original post

60 Replies
Marked as solution

Same problem - I can log into my Spotify account with Sonos, but I get an error that Spotify cannot browse the music and upon attemting to play tracks I get a long error message basically stating that the Spotify login information is not valid ...

... but the exact same information is valid for my iPhone (and for adding the Spotify service to Sonos) both a few minutes before and after. Sonos and Spotify have worked for me without such troubles the last 4 months, why is there suddenly a problem!?

I have tried removing and readding Spotify, then changing the Spotify device password and removing and adding Spotify again. First I was not allowed to add Spotify at all, but after changing the password I was allowed to add Spotify again, but it still cannot browse music...  

I have placed a diagnostics ticket with Sonos; (confirmation number is: 2089507) but is the problem actually with Sonos or Spotify?

Best regards,

Soeren

+1

Same issues - lately there's been a lot of trouble with bad connection, Spotify tracks not playable etc.

A fix would be much appriciated as this is my main source of music!

Marked as solution

Everyone with this issue should log it with the Sonos support forum or staff - the Spotify service for Sonos is run from their servers and, when I've had to deal with their support in the past, they are very attentive
----------------

I've been having no end of trouble using spotify recently. Mainly on my sonos, but also on the iPhone and iPad apps. The music keeps cutting in and out with some tracks not playing at all with 'unable to connect to spotify' etc. not only that, but sometimes, it will find a track to play, by which time I want to shut the app down, and the music continues to play for a few minutes. On my Sonos, it actually crashes the app altogether by freezing everything until it has caught up with itself. I have contacted Spotify and they have advised there are currently issues with Virgin Internet users, whereby virgin are throttling services such as spotify! Not sure 100% if this is the reason behind my issues, but will be pretty annoyed if virgin are doing this! Apparently Spotify are in talks with virgin.... Either way, the service does not seem to work on my current set up, so can't really justify paying for something that does not work. Anyone else got any thoughts?

If you are having problems across Sonos and other Spotify apps on your network, then it's your network at fault most likely - in this case probably Virgin (which is ironic because don't Virgin give new customers free Spotify Premium subscriptions?)
----------------

It's odd, because all other streaming services such as Netflix and lovefilm work pretty much flawlessly, so I can't understand why virgin has an issue with spotify.

Spotify is probably the only one that uses P2P to spread the content - something that some ISPs have been trying to throttle for years
----------------

Ahh I see. I will be contacting virgin tomorrow to have yet more words with them. Thanks for the info.

Hi

I have just spent the last hour on the phone to virgin ref this issue. It involved all sorts of tests including plugging my laptop directly into the modem via ethernet, and reassigning IPs etc. This still has not resolved the problem, and the spotify program eventually crashed when I tried to shut it down. I am consistently getting messages advising 'unable to connect with spotify' or connection lost.

Virgin have been unable to identify any abnormalities with my service, and they are not throttling my internet bandwidth by using spotify (I dont use any other p2p software). I mentioned the p2p thing and was advised that they are unaware of such issues, and even if they did throttle P2P they would not do so with spotify.

I am getting an engineer out on Wednesday to replace the modem (just in case), but I fear this will not resolve the issue.

Before I cancel my subscription, are there any other suggestions anyone can offer.

If VM really are the issue there are only really two options (aside from them fixing it)
- download all your playlists for offline listening
- cancel - spotify must have some financial input into this tie up with VM and if they aren't seeing a good conversion rate from the free accounts being handed out to paying customers they'll start to take notice and something will eventually be done about it. Sad to say that it boils down to money and subscriber counts in this competitive market
----------------

Ive just signed up to a trial of napster on Sonos. Works flawlessly. I think my decision may be made.

Did you find a solution I am suffering from the same

For those with the issue on Virgin, looks like it's being sorted: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/29/virgin_media_spotify_congestion/
----------------

No its not! More work on this problem needed at Spotify or else you'll be losing custom pretty fast.

Sadly not. Apparently spotify and virgin are 'working together' to solve the problem. I spent over an hour on the phone to one of virgins tech supervisors running through tons of tests and diagnostics, explained spotifys response and he said he was not aware of the issue. Suffice to say no probs were found with the virgin broadband.

I have now cancelled spotify and am trialling the competition, which so far has been fine. Shame about spotify though.

I am too having this issue, for a couple of months now the service has been almost non existent and that's pretty rubbish given I have invested about £700 in Sonos kit.

"the connection to Spofify was lost" is a very frequent message.

I am with Zen for broadband (synced at 20M down and 1.1M up) and there's absolutely no congestion on the connection, I can also stream from spotify fine using my laptop.

Did anyone get anywhere with this?

Thanks.

I Con't play spotify songs on my Sonos system for the moment. there is no problem with my sonos system or my network.

Deezer, radio, etc. all work perfectly on Sonos. I can scroll ar search Spotify songs, but cannot play songs

I'm having the same problem.  Seemed to coincide with a software update but not sure. I  can browse music but keep getting message "cannot connect to Spotify".  very annoying!  Any ideas?

I also am getting the same connection issues. Very frustrating!

Suggested posts