Announcements

Radio always consists of the same songs, no matter what song/album/artist it has been created from

Radio always consists of the same songs, no matter what song/album/artist it has been created from

jslv1995

The old Spotify radio used to play original songs based off of whatever new song/album/artist I created the station from. This was an awesome way to find new music. For some reason it was changed and every time I create a new radio station (because I’m looking for new music) I end up with the same slate of the same songs, even though they are NOT similar to the song/album/artist that I created the station for. It makes it near impossible to find new music using radio stations. 

I have always been a huge advocate for Spotify but the recent change has negatively impacted my experience in a big way. I imagine other long term Spotify users are struggling with this too. Can we please go back to the old radio? Where you could find great new music based off of a single song??

16 Replies

Algorithm broken and strange "Listen Along" behavior

rx78-ii

When starting radio stations, Spotify has constantly and consistently been putting the same group of songs/artists into all stations no matter how unrelated they are to the track/album/playlist used to start the radio. Moreover, when listening along with one of my friends via Discord, these songs are appearing in her radio stations that are even more distant from the songs in question.

What in the world is going on here? The former circumstance I kinda get but it's honestly somewhat unreasonable as it creates a situation where no matter how hard I try to get away from these songs, the algorithm itself is keeping me from retraining without manually searching music for who knows how long. It's not that I don't like the songs, but we're on the road to me not liking them if I don't stop constantly hearing them. The latter situation is wholly unacceptable though, the entire point of choosing to Listen Along over initiating a Group Session is that the other person is fully in control of song selection. We should not, for any reason, be hearing any songs associated solely with my account that were not explicitly selected by her (added to queue, or a station started from one of my playlists from her account, etc.) in any algorithm based listening experience initiated from her account. Doing so completely defeats the purpose of letting someone else take the wheel and is honestly kind of creepy.

Re: Algorithm broken and strange "Listen Along" behavior

CarlosE

Hey there @rx78-ii,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

That sounds odd indeed. Could you try logging out, restarting your device, and logging back in? Make sure to clear the Play Queue too.

If that doesn't do the trick, try running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps. This can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

If the issue persists, could you try on a different device and let us know if that makes any difference? We'd also like to know the make, model, and OS version of the devices you try.

A short video or screen recording of the issue would also come in handy.

Keep us posted. We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Spotify radio feature

synve_tm
Visitor

Plan

Premium

Country

Norway

Device

Windows laptop/android

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Hello! 
I have been experiencing lately that almost whatever album radio which automatically starts playing after I have listened to an album, pretty much without fail will begin with or include some of my most listened to tracks. This is getting annoying as I run the risk of getting sick of some of the songs I like the most, and it also hampers the experience by not providing new, fresh tracks as commonly anymore.

I was wondering if the developing team was looking into this?

Re: [All Platforms][Radio] Create radio is broken

veronicalsc
Regular

Completely agree! They already have a Playlists feature, it's like they turned Radio into one playlist that just serves you songs you already hear all the time or have liked. I also used to find new music this way. It's making me want a new platform.

Issue in the songs displayed in song radio

Buddy69
Casual Listener

I go to the song radio of any song the same list of song appears. It has become every difficult to discover new songs. And the seeing the same song it sucks a lot. Pls do help. 😥😥. I'm a music addict and it's quite irritating to listen to the same songs.

Screenshot_2021-01-24-13-39-12-590.jpegScreenshot_2021-01-24-13-40-36-288.jpegScreenshot_2021-01-24-13-38-44-390.jpeg

[Mobile][Radio] Same songs i know being played on radio feature

-2cnqthk_d7ip
Visitor

I’ve noticed that when i use to play a song a bunch of new songs popped up that i’ve never heard before and i really liked it! Now if i try and play the same song like before expecting those mew songs that i never got to like i just get old songs that are already in my playlists and liked. (i.e. i played the song “my jinji” and a bunch of songs i’ve never heard before came up with the radio option, when i played it again today it was songs i always hear with any radio station of a song either with a sad song to the radio feature playing I don’t know you by the maria’s.) The point is i want to hear new songs that i’ve never listened to before with the radio and not hear the same songs that come on anytime i play the radio. (which seem to be i was all over her, daddy issues, lovefool, i don’t know you, and a bit more that follow those).

Re: Radio always consists of the same songs, no matter what song/album/artist it has been created fr

Buddy69
Casual Listener

This is so trueee. Pls look into the problem

Re: Radio always consists of the same songs, no matter what song/album/artist it has been created from - Status changed to: Need more info

Xenia

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reporting this to us!

We've just merged a few threads together to keep you all in the loop. We've also updated the title of this thread, to help new users find it and share their reports. 

With that said, we'd first recommend you try a clean reinstall by following the steps here, to see if that makes a difference.

If after that you’re still having trouble with this, could you provide us with the following info:

• Device(s) + OS version(s) on which this is happening
  • The exact Spotify version running on the device(s)
  • A screenshot illustrating the issue
  • The relevant URLs for the radio playlists and/or source you created it from

Once we've gathered enough info, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

Note: If your Radio is playing songs from a different genre, please head over to this thread instead and leave your details there.

Cheers!

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Andersen

[Desktop][Radio] Why do my playlist radios all have the same songs?

Benjimite
Casual Listener

I have 20 tracks in a playlist. In the radio for that playlist 5 of the tracks are repeated and the other 15 are other tracks in my current high rotation.

There is not a single unknown track in my playlist radio. Where has the discovery element gone from Playlist Radio? 

If I wanted to listen to all my current heavy rotation I'd just put those playlists on repeat.

Please change the algorithm back or at least allow users to dictate whether they'd like more familiar or unfamiliar songs in their Playlist Radios.

Cheers

SUGGESTED POSTS