Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Roku] Spotify channel stops playing when TV is turned off

[Roku] Spotify channel stops playing when TV is turned off

I have a Roku 3 connected (via HDMI, obviously) to a Denon AVR-3313 receiver. The receiver is connected (again, via HDMI) to a television that is used as a display only (the TV speakers are disabled). The receiver is connected to a soundbar and subwoofer for audio.

Once I get the Spotify channel playing on the Roku, I would like to turn off the TV, because I'm not using it for anything. But turning off the TV always causes Spotify's audio to stop. At first I thought it was a limitation of the Roku or maybe even the receiver, but I've tested the exact same setup using other Roku channels (Fandango, Amazon Cloud Player, Amazon Instant Video, and a handful of others)--and they all work fine. The audio drops out for a second or two immediately after turning off the display, but then continues playing just fine. Only Spotify fails to continue playing.

Has anyone else encountered this? It's very frustrating. My receiver has a Spotify app built into it, but the Roku interface is so much nicer that I'd rather use that. Not being able to turn off the TV is a deal-breaker, though.

3 Replies

I'm wondering is the content just being paused? Do you have a Roku remote, what happens if you press play again with the TV off?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't exactly work, but it led me to discover something else:

If I turn off the display while Spotify is playing, then press play on the remote once the audio stops, nothing happens. Furthermore, when I turn the display back on, I can't get Spotify to start again by pressing play either--I get no audio and the track time doesn't advance. (This is true whether I press play while the display is off or just turn the display off and back on.) Once Spotify is in this state, I have to leave the "now playing" screen and select a different track to get any audio.

But...

If I pause a playing track, then turn off the display, then press play after it's off, the audio plays just fine without the TV!

So it seems that the Spotify channel doesn't have a problem playing a stream while the display is off. It just doesn't handle gracefully the interruption that comes from turning off the display while a stream is playing. This will do as a workaround for now, but I still feel like there's an issue to be corrected.

I had the same issue and was completely perplexed as to why this was happening. Pausing and resuming after you turn the TV off worked! Thank you.

Suggested posts