Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Samsung Galaxy Watch - Remote Mode

Solved!

Samsung Galaxy Watch - Remote Mode

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia (Currently Internationally Roaming)

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9+/Samsung Galaxy Watch

Operating System

Android 8.0.0/Tizen 4.0.0.1

My Question or Issue

Hello Spotify,

I have recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Watch and have installed Spotify as an application on the device. I currently overseas for work and do not have a Wifi connection, thus am trying to use the Watch in Remote Mode for my Phone rather than Wifi Streaming. However when I go to switch the Mode it is stating that it cannot connect the Watch to Spotify's App on the Phone even though the Bluetooth Connection is strong and working correctly. Any idea what to do?

72 Replies

Same issue for me in the US. I can play music on my watch thru WiFi, and it shows it's connected on the Spotify app on my phone. But it won't connect for the remote.

Marked as solution

Solution is already described and works, see here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Gear-S3-remote-issues/td-p/4616868. My comment with "how to" got deleted and god knows why but google how to rollback to an older version and you'll be ok. Atm you won't get any help from the Spotify guys.

The only problem left for me is if I have WiFi active on my phone I can't remote connect. As soon as I turn it off it connects automaticly.

Hello everyone, 

I just started a chat with spotify support, the issue is clearly in the spotify phone app. 

There is no way to downgrade, unless you download from a suspicious third party, there are no official links from spotify to download a previous version! So we have to wait for now

They have opened an ticket to see what is causing the issue, I'll let everyone know once if I hear anything from my side. 

Don't waste your time on restarting or starting the app. The samsung side works, for now its a software bug. 

Hold on to your samsung watches and your spotify subscription, don't sell them on ebay yet! 

Too little too late I returned mine to EE today.

Hope this does not take too long to fix, I use my gear s3 to control my music at the gym every day. This being available on my watch is the only thing keeping me with spotify. If I cant have the convenience of the watch remote with spotify, I might as well switch back to google. 

I'll give it at least until next week before I cancel, to see if spotify is at least aware and working on a fix 

Hi. I have a Kenwood headunit on my car. There are no bluetooth connection issues up to v.8.4.77.779.

Issues starts from v.8.4.78.530.

I think it's the same issue, serial bluetooth connection issue.

I am still having the same issue... Any updates on an official fix with the phone app?? ?

Try installing 8.4.77.779 version

Everyonek,

The bug was introduced after version 8.4.79612 anyone with a earlier version should be ok. 

I've tried the newest update and it's still not working for me. So far the
only way I've had it working is to install version 8.4.79.612

I really dont like downloading apps from third party sites, but have had to
for this.
I really dont want to have to keep pulling my phone out at the gym every
night for my music. I could, but it's so much faster and easier(my phone
stays much cleaner) with my watch as a remote, so I can leave it zipped in
my pocket.

Dvasan

FYI if you're offline on your watch you can also download playlists to your watch. That's very convenient for your cardio days. 

Any news if this has been fixed yet? 

This issue is impacting me too - any update?

I've lived with this problem affecting my Galaxy S2 watch and Galaxy S7 Edge mobile since it started. When I installed a new JVC KW-V930BW Car head unit with Spotify Remote this weekend I also saw a similar problem which seems related. Uninstalling Spotify on my phone and using the older version fixed both remote problems at the same time. Immediately the Play Store wanted to update but I used the workaround to prevent this.  All my downloaded files were deleted so I've had to download again. This problem has been with us for far too long. 

I've got the same problem as well. It sucks having to keep your mobile phone with you on a run/jog. The app exists and almost works, but a small bug renders it useless for any Samsung smart watch users.

I truly hope Spotify fixes the issue soon, I've been affected two months already, the watch I got contained one year promo of a competitor and I've been thinking of moving my playlists there more and more each passing week.. And I've been a premium user since it was available.

Agreed... I think it's silly this topic has been open for so long and yet no response from Spotify. Yes the workaround does work by downloading an older version but I had hoped the bug would have been fixed by now??? 

@jctlalpan wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I just started a chat with spotify support, the issue is clearly in the spotify phone app. 

There is no way to downgrade, unless you download from a suspicious third party, there are no official links from spotify to download a previous version! So we have to wait for now

They have opened an ticket to see what is causing the issue, I'll let everyone know once if I hear anything from my side. 

Don't waste your time on restarting or starting the app. The samsung side works, for now its a software bug. 

Hold on to your samsung watches and your spotify subscription, don't sell them on ebay yet! 

Have you heard back at all from Spotify Support?

Has anyone raised this with Samsung support?

It's also possible the latest Samsung Galaxy Watch update broke the Spotify Tizen app or Spotify Android app's ability to connect to Spotify for Tizen.

I have Spotify 1.2.1 on my Galaxy Watch.

Just because an older Android app fixes the issue it doesn't mean for sure the issue lies with Spotify. Although it's likely.

I believe they maintain both the Spotify for Android and Spotify for Tizen apps.

@jctlalpan wrote:

Everyonek,

The bug was introduced after version 8.4.79612 anyone with a earlier version should be ok. 

Slightly wrong. The newest version I can get working is:

8.4.79.630 armeabi-v7a Download Link (most devices)

8.4.79.630 Intel x86 Download Link

Which happens to be the newest 8.4.79.x build on APK Mirror. It then jumps to 8.4.80.777 (beta). I tried all the 8.4.80.x versions and none work:

8.4.80.777 beta
8.4.80.783 beta
8.4.80.790 beta
8.4.80.793: This is dated 21st November so it's been broken awhile.

I also tried all of the non-beta versions after this and none connect:

8.4.84.874: The version currently on Google Play

Others have mentioned 8.4.79.612 works but this is listed as Beta on APK Mirror.

It's fair to say build 8.4.80.x broke things.

Incidentally APK Mirror is safe. I've used it loads and each download link has a "Verified Safe" disclaimer.

Source: https://www.apkmirror.com/uploads/?q=spotify

Can someone unmark this topic has Resolved.

The Resolution link isn't a Resolution, it's a workaround to downgrade the Android app.

Suggested posts