Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Samsung Smart TV song playing but no sound

Solved!

Samsung Smart TV song playing but no sound

Like what the title said. I downloaded the Spotify app for my Samsung Smart TV. The Songs are "playing" but without any sound output. Any solution? Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I can confirm the bug (Samsung KU6079UXZG - 2016 model, optical Output): when I switch from optical out to tv speakers, I can hear (and not only see) Spotify playing. Sometimes it helps switching from optical out to TV Speakers and back to have Spotify play, sometimes I have to start eg the TV program (external Kathrein-Box as receiver). N.B.: I keep the TV speakers off by having the volume set to "0"; sound comes through the optical connection to my Denon 5.1 anyway.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Encountered the same issue on my Samsung UE55JS8000.

what worked for me:

1. Log onto Spotify app on the TV directly; not using the phone or tablet.

2. Open Spotify on tablet/phone,  and select the TV from the devices list.

3. Control the Spotify app from the tablet/phone, and the TV-speakers and/or optical out to the receiver work fine.

The TV-speakers and optical out also work fine, when only executing step 1.

Marked as solution

Hi there,

A really simple fix I found, is to go to 'Sound' In the menu, and select 'additional settings'. Changing the audio format from dts neo to Dolby Digital worked amazingly. In my mind the clarity is even better!

39 Replies

Hey @TimothyKhoo, welcome to the Spotify Community!

It's odd that this happens. Are you experiencing the same with other apps on your TV? If you're using an external audio device, make sure that everything's in order. You can try using the TV speakers and see if it makes any difference.

Keep us posted.

I am having the same issue, logged in via username and password. Attempted to play several different songs from different areas of the app with no luck. Works when I switch to playing on my phone. I have it connected by coaxial to soundbar. Sound I working with netflix, youtube, and hulu. Any tips?

So I came to ask about a very similar issue, so I'll tack on here and see if there's a solution.

I just picked up a new Samsung TV last night (UN55KS8000) and a sound bar to go with it (HW-K850).

Spotify will play through the TV speakers, but absolutely refuses to play through the Sound Bar.

Netflix, HBONow and Youtube all play through the sound bar fine.

Have you tried playing Spotify through the native TV speakers?

It does in fact play through TV speakers, as does netflix and youtube. This is very odd. Seems like a coding issue maybe?

It's entirely possible that playing through the sound bar is a "premium only" item.

I'm here to hopefully confirm otherwise.

Having the same issue. TV + Soundbar = no sound output.

I can confirm that having a premium account does not change anything.

However, I do have a workaround that seems to work.

1) On your TV, switch to the youtube app and play any video (which seems to re-engage the sound)

2) Switch back to Spotify and choose and play a song on your TV using your remote. This should engage the sound and the song will play. Now you can control your tv app with your phone (or any other device) after this.

Seems to be a bug.

Also confirmed for me on a Samsung KS8500. I have an optical audio line out to my receiver. When I set the Sound Output mode in Settings to TV Speaker, Spotify plays fine, but when I switch to Optical Out, no sound. YouTube, Netflix, and Plex hit the Optical Out just fine.

Update - kfernando's trick does work for me.

Same for me. Plays through the TV speakers but not through the AMP.

I own a Samsung 55js8500.

Marked as solution

I can confirm the bug (Samsung KU6079UXZG - 2016 model, optical Output): when I switch from optical out to tv speakers, I can hear (and not only see) Spotify playing. Sometimes it helps switching from optical out to TV Speakers and back to have Spotify play, sometimes I have to start eg the TV program (external Kathrein-Box as receiver). N.B.: I keep the TV speakers off by having the volume set to "0"; sound comes through the optical connection to my Denon 5.1 anyway.

I had the same issue, I went into my samsung tvs menu, sound, and changed audio format to pcm. Now spotify works fine 🙂

I'm having the exact same issue with my Denon X1200W and a Samsung UEKS7000. They are connect using a digital optical cable. When switching from PCM to DTS NEO 2:5 it seems to work. After rebooting the television I have to switch back to PCM again to make it work.

Seems like we found the issue, but now the solution. 

Thanks - this worked for me!  2016 UHD TV

Great work-around, although I do hope they'll fix the problem soon.

Worked for me, thanks

Same problem here with Ks8000 other apps work fine but spotify. Workaround works! Thx buddy. We expect a fix from Spotify as long as most of us are paying the premium service

Just set Audio Format to PCM instead DTS Neo 2:5 in Audio > Additional Settings on your Samsung TV. Works for me!!!

Is it possible to increase/decrease the volume from the app? I have to put my speakers to the max volume, otherwise it barely sounds...other apps work perfectly.

I'm having this issue too. Spotify was playing through the TV speakers, then all of a sudden it doesn't. The songs are playing but no sound. I don't have any other sound devices, no sound bar or optical/hdmi. The TV sound settings are definitely set to TV speakers. Can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. I've tried turning off and on the TV, and logging out and back into spotify. In terms of solutions, I'm all out. Ideas?

I know what you mean. I have exactly the same issue. It works fine on my phone and mac, but refuse to sound on my smart tv. Every other app works just fine. I don't have any bar o audio system connected to the TV. I always use it with the TV speaker. I used it one a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine. Now, it won't work. Any ideas?

Doesn't work on Samsung ue65ku6000. Tried all workarounds, doesn't play sound at all. I use TV speakers. Everything other works fine, only Spotify does not. Anyone from Spotify is going to solve this issues with smart TVs? I have premium and I can't play sound on my TV.

Suggested posts