Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Samsung Smart TV song playing but no sound

Solved!

Samsung Smart TV song playing but no sound

TimothyKhoo

Like what the title said. I downloaded the Spotify app for my Samsung Smart TV. The Songs are "playing" but without any sound output. Any solution? Thanks in advance

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Samsung Smart TV song playing but no sound

bassloader63

I can confirm the bug (Samsung KU6079UXZG - 2016 model, optical Output): when I switch from optical out to tv speakers, I can hear (and not only see) Spotify playing. Sometimes it helps switching from optical out to TV Speakers and back to have Spotify play, sometimes I have to start eg the TV program (external Kathrein-Box as receiver). N.B.: I keep the TV speakers off by having the volume set to "0"; sound comes through the optical connection to my Denon 5.1 anyway.

Solution!

meeralex

Encountered the same issue on my Samsung UE55JS8000.

what worked for me:

1. Log onto Spotify app on the TV directly; not using the phone or tablet.

2. Open Spotify on tablet/phone,  and select the TV from the devices list.

3. Control the Spotify app from the tablet/phone, and the TV-speakers and/or optical out to the receiver work fine.

The TV-speakers and optical out also work fine, when only executing step 1.

Solution!

pigmental
Casual Listener

Hi there,

A really simple fix I found, is to go to 'Sound' In the menu, and select 'additional settings'. Changing the audio format from dts neo to Dolby Digital worked amazingly. In my mind the clarity is even better!

39 Replies

Spotify
Spotify

Hey @TimothyKhoo, welcome to the Spotify Community!

It's odd that this happens. Are you experiencing the same with other apps on your TV? If you're using an external audio device, make sure that everything's in order. You can try using the TV speakers and see if it makes any difference.

Keep us posted.

Jrich_22
Casual Listener
I am having the same issue, logged in via username and password. Attempted to play several different songs from different areas of the app with no luck. Works when I switch to playing on my phone. I have it connected by coaxial to soundbar. Sound I working with netflix, youtube, and hulu. Any tips?

IraDeLucis
Regular

So I came to ask about a very similar issue, so I'll tack on here and see if there's a solution.

I just picked up a new Samsung TV last night (UN55KS8000) and a sound bar to go with it (HW-K850).

Spotify will play through the TV speakers, but absolutely refuses to play through the Sound Bar.

Netflix, HBONow and Youtube all play through the sound bar fine.

Have you tried playing Spotify through the native TV speakers?

Jrich_22
Casual Listener
It does in fact play through TV speakers, as does netflix and youtube. This is very odd. Seems like a coding issue maybe?

IraDeLucis
Regular

It's entirely possible that playing through the sound bar is a "premium only" item.

I'm here to hopefully confirm otherwise.

kfernando

Having the same issue. TV + Soundbar = no sound output.

I can confirm that having a premium account does not change anything.

However, I do have a workaround that seems to work.

1) On your TV, switch to the youtube app and play any video (which seems to re-engage the sound)

2) Switch back to Spotify and choose and play a song on your TV using your remote. This should engage the sound and the song will play. Now you can control your tv app with your phone (or any other device) after this.

Seems to be a bug.

jaybee_sf

Also confirmed for me on a Samsung KS8500. I have an optical audio line out to my receiver. When I set the Sound Output mode in Settings to TV Speaker, Spotify plays fine, but when I switch to Optical Out, no sound. YouTube, Netflix, and Plex hit the Optical Out just fine.

Update - kfernando's trick does work for me.

luca_masud
Casual Listener

Same for me. Plays through the TV speakers but not through the AMP.

I own a Samsung 55js8500.

Solution!

bassloader63

I can confirm the bug (Samsung KU6079UXZG - 2016 model, optical Output): when I switch from optical out to tv speakers, I can hear (and not only see) Spotify playing. Sometimes it helps switching from optical out to TV Speakers and back to have Spotify play, sometimes I have to start eg the TV program (external Kathrein-Box as receiver). N.B.: I keep the TV speakers off by having the volume set to "0"; sound comes through the optical connection to my Denon 5.1 anyway.

SUGGESTED POSTS