Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Select audio output device?

Solved!

Select audio output device?

Dear Spotify Developers -

Firstly, thank you for such an awesome product!

I've got several audio outputs from my PC - my speakers, my headphone DAC+amp (optical out), and my TV (nVidia HDMI audio output). Please can you add an option to select which audio device Spotify will output to? Otherwise I have to keep changing the default playback device for the system. Skype has this feature, it's very useful.

Thank you!

89 Replies

@riserdrummer Your neighbors/family will be happy when you get an error message or other loud sound that will play on your bluetooth speakers on max volume 😄

I'm using linux, feel free to join me.

Spotiamp is another good workaround but can't be called a solution:

It only works for premium

It requires use of an add-on software and interface the user may not want

This thread is full of good workarounds.  Whats missing is Spotify fixing the Spotiy PC app by adding an option to select the output device.  Now that would be a solution!

I have been using an application called Equalify Pro in tandom with VoiceMeter Banana.  I am able to use virtual cables for my spotify output without any issue.  Also the Equalify Pro integrates perfectly within the Spotify application without any third app running and what not.

Marked as solution

Yea .... its not free....

@spard__ wrote:

Yea .... its not free....

AudioRouter? Yes it is.

So true!

So true!!

Awesome

i used https://superuser.com/questions/968828/how-can-i-switch-an-application-to-a-different-playback-devic...

it worked perfect little klunky but works nicely 

now my spotify is on in every room of my house with a tv ... yeah!!!!!

and driven from my phone even better 

Legend thank you! I Knew I should've skipped to the end of this thread instead of wading through all the other **bleep** first. Audio Router is the perfect solution (apart from a native option) and does exactly what it says it does. Nothing more, nothing less, and it's super simple.

It doesn't appear to be under develepment any longer, with the last update being about a year ago, but it's working flawlessly for me on Win10 at the moment.

This is a showstopper, unacceptable, Spotify. Fortunately Tidal desktop app allows audio output selection. 

FIVE years later and there still isn't an option in the Spotify app to select a different output.

I won't go Premium until that option gets build in.

It should allows WASAPI output.

This might be considered a seperate issue but adding this functionality will solve the problem I am having. 

A) it appears as though spotify isn't using the default audio stream and instead just outputing to the default device. 

That's a problem because when the default device is no longer available, the audio stops working with no way to change the audio device. Even if the device gets reconnected, spotify struggles to resume playback. A simple restart of the program fixes this. 

How I accomplished such breakage of the program:

1. Set default audio device to bluetooth speakers. 
2. start spotify and play music
3. disconnect the bluetooth device by turning it off. 
4. observe that changing the default audio device doesn't resume audio playback
5. redo steps 1-4

6. observe that reconnecting the device doesn't always make the audio resume playing. 

I did verify that my headphones were working in each step by starting a secondary audio applicaiton. 

Kind of sad really. I'm a Linux user and this has been a standard feature for a very long time. You just set each program to use the audio output YOU choose. Great, but in windoze this isn't the case. The audio router program listed above is just like the Linux default program. I dual boot between Linux and Windoze 7 and had a real problem figuring this out so I could listen to my stereo while gaming in windoze. Thanks for the link to the audio router program.

On MacOS Sierra, I can get almost to what you want.  I'm able to send music only to the bluetooth speaker, and keep system sounds and alerts playing out may Macbook.   

1. First, pair the bluetooth to an external speaker. 
  2. Then go to sound in System Preferences, under tab "Sound Effects" in the drop down "Play sound effect through" select "Interal Speakers"Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 8.48.36 PM.png
  3. Next, to to tab "Output" and in the box with the title "Select a device for sound output:" pick the bluetooth speaker device you want.Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 8.47.54 PM.png

Viola, annoying system sounds still go through local speakers, sweet,sweet music through bluetooth

your dumb. We want to have spotify only play out of a certain speaker. So if i have headphones and speakers and my headphones are default, we want spotify to play out of the speakers that are not default

Hi Guys

I updated to premium expecting to have the feature to select the audio output (sound card) as I run a 8 channel mixer with several sound cards so would love to run Spotify through a spare channel on the mixer and have control over the volume etc. 

I am in a 60 day free trail and will not be continuing the subscription until this feature is added.

It astounds me that an organisation the size of Spotify have not added this simple option.

I am getting around the problem by playing music through another device i.e. tablet, and pushing that through a spare channel on the mixer.

Suggested posts