Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Shuffle not working on Spotify Connect

7 people liked this

Shuffle not working on Spotify Connect

el_barto
Casual Listener

Spotify Connect is showing strange behaviour for me... It first appeared about a week ago.

I am using Spotify Connect on a daily basis to listen to music over my living room speakers. Most of the time I'm playing a playlist of about 1000 songs on shuffle. This was working like a charm for the last two years.

Now I experience the following behaviour: I start the playlist on shuffle from my phone or my PC (likewise always patched and updated). But after the first song Spotify either starts the playlist alphabetically from the top or continues alphabetically from the current song. So shuffle is effectively turned off. When i view the "next up" queue in the App, the songs appear randomized at first but switch to either the start of the playlist or the songs in alphabetical order starting with the song playing at the moment.

When I toggle the shuffle button off and on again, the songs randomize again only to revert back in order after a few seconds. It seems like the Spotify server reverts my settings back to a baseline setting or something like that.

My Spotify Connect device is a Denon AVR X-1200W receiver.

The receiver is on the newest firmware, too and there have been no updates for the last months.

When I'm not using Spotify Connect (local playback, bluetooth etc.), shuffle is working like it should.

So my workaround for the time being is using bluetooth to connect to the receiver, but since I have to keep my PC running or the battery from my phone being drained, that's far from ideal.

Did Spotify change something on their backend of Connect which could lead to this bug?

Oh, I'm  a Spotify Premium user of course.

19 Replies
1 person liked this

Re: Shuffle not working on Spotify Connect

el_barto
Casual Listener

Addendum: I orginally planned on posting info like my phone OS and model, in case this helps in identifying the bug. 

But it seems this community software has a bonkers identification of "forbidden" words, so I had to delete this info to be allowed to post.

Rock Star 9
Rock Star 9

Hi, thanks for sharing your post! I'd recommend leaving some feedback and voting on this here, as there are some potential Connect shuffle related issues being raised to the Spotify team, and you should be able to add your device information as well. All feedback on that post will be very useful to the people looking into it.

dinomightRock Star 9
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
1 person liked this

Nicalada
Casual Listener

I have the same problem with my teufel and raumfeld speakers

Hey @el_barto and @Nicalada,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Could you make sure your receiver has the newest firmware? You can also try to do a quick reinstallation. You can read here how.

We noticed it can help to make shuffle more randomized, if every time you choose a different random song to start your shuffle session with.

If you notice that Shuffle only shuffles the same selection of songs, take a look at this Ongoing Issue which is currently under investigation. Your contribution can help us come up with a fix.

Hope it works! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

1 person liked this

Topfverecords

I have this problem as well, and it seems to be getting worse, not better.  I have read through a number of message board posts, and all of them seem to end with Spotify reps either ignoring it or claiming it is a different issue, which it certainly is not.

I understand that randomizing something will inevitably lead to identifying patterns--people claiming shuffle is not "random" (because they hear the same songs regularly or it seems to favor popular artists) is NOT what is happening here.

I was an early adopter of Spotify and have been a premium member for years, but i am strongly considering cancelling my membership and taking my meager influence elsewhere, as the app no longer fits my style of listening (dumping a bunch of songs I want to listen to in the future into a saved playlist and then listening on shuffle later).

I have used Spotify as an app on my iphone, ipad, and MacBook, as well as on Amazon Fire Cube.  I also usually listen through an alexa speaker or via CarPlay.  With every single one of these platforms, including the web player, the same behavior arises.  Using shuffle while connected to any speaker causes the shuffle playlist to populate only the first 100 songs or so, out of the 3000+ in the playlist.  If I manually choose a track from lower down in the playlist, the same behavior occurs, only instead of the first 100 songs, it's whatever 100 songs are around that song in the main playlist. This is true regardless of how the songs are ordered--it will play the most recently added songs sorted that way, or the first songs alphabetically sorted that way. There is zero chance this is an accident or can be explained away by the odds of randomization. II am happy to provide screenshots or video to support my claims.  

I would be very appreciative for someone at Spotify to at least acknowledge this is a problem they are aware of.  I obviously hope they will fix it, but it seems like, from the other message boards I have checked off an on since the problem started months ago, that Spotify's main attitude towards this issue is either ignoring or Gaslighting.  I'm sure they don't need my measly membership dollars, but it would be nice for the problem to at least acknowledged by a company I've supported for so long. 

Hey @Topfverecords.

Thanks for providing that detailed feedback.

This is indeed something that Spotify are aware of: an idea was created about this a while ago (here), however it is marked as Not Right Now. Do keep an eye on that thread for any updates on the matter.

Hope that answers your question! Let us know if there's anything else you would like to know - we'll be right here.

PeterModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"It's my job to see the world and report back. It's my job to feel things fiercely.
And it's my job to be present." - Maggie Rogers

rockerjd
Casual Listener

Shuffle and Connect are NOT working even now. If I can get shuffle to work just by connect via bluetooth to my Echo and NOT by using Connect (only shuffles a few artists our of a very large playlist), then you should be able to replicate and FIX this problem.

Why do we pay for Premium for simple features that do not work? Why can I make a large playlist that can't be shuffle? It's just silly. Please fix. It won't work using connect from ANYTHING. Desktop, phone, whatever. Not suing Connect and it works, but if I just ask Alexa to shuffle a playlist, even, it only plays a few artists over and over again. Ridiculous that you can't and seemingly won't address this issue.

1 person liked this

StephenWA
Roadie

Today would be a good day for Spotify to fix this issue.

Highlighted

Nicalada
Casual Listener

@ Guido

Those will not solfe the problem.

Spotify Connect is the problem: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Shuffle-turns-off-automatically-after-the-first-song...

SUGGESTED POSTS