Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffling playlist folders on a PC using Connect or Chromecast

Shuffling playlist folders on a PC using Connect or Chromecast

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm guessing most of us don't just throw everything we like into one gigantic playlist and instead like to tweak the playlists within a playlist folder every now and then, or add in some of Spotify's curated lists. Several years ago, the option to play all playlists within a folder disappeared from all the mobile versions of the app BUT you could still start it off on a PC and then switch the output device and it would carry on playing what you started. I've been using a wireless speaker with Spotify Connect compatibility for that. Suddenly, that doesn't work anymore as of about a month ago. Is this yet _another_ retrograde step in the life of Spotify, or am I doing something wrong? It doesn't work with Chromecast either.

6 Replies

Hi there @karlmacnaughton,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

We'd like to confirm what exactly is the issue - is it that you can't shuffle play all the playlists in a folder while using Connect, or just can't shuffle them at all?

If it's only when using Connect, could you let us know exactly what's happening when you try to do so? 

We'd also like to know the exact Spotify version you're running.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I'm having the same issue as reported above.

I can start off playing a collection of playlists from my desktop app. (Win10 - 1.1.62.583.gdac868ed-a). If I check the Play Queue, it nicely contains songs from different playlists (shuffle on).

Then when switching the device through Spotify connect, I get a green bar at the bottom: 'You're listening on Sangean WFT-3 (my device)", but music stops playing instantly. If I check the Play Queue, it only retains those songs that belong to the same playlist that I started off with.  So, it loses all songs belonging to other playlists in the same collection.  E.g. 1st song sits in a 'Pixies' playlist, Play Queue will only retain the other 'Pixies' songs and loses all others.

Hi there @AleyPat,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you remove all lines from your hosts file by following the steps bellow:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks for your quick turnaroud. I tried both proposals, but unfortunately to no avail. I still get the same behaviour.  Fyi, the 'hosts' file didn't contain any reference to a Spotify address),

regards,

I have the same problem - before (don't remember when it stopped working) I could also play a whole playlist folder on Chomecrast but now it doesn't work, neither when I directly try to cast the folder nor when I first play one song or playlist (then it does connect to Spotify) and then change to the playlist folder as I could before. 

I tried the suggestions above with clean uninstall and looking in the host file, where I didn't have any Spotify strings.

I have the same problem. 
I cannot play a playlist folder with the chromecast for two months (with the random option or not)
Besides, why is it no longer possible to read a playlist folder on Android?
I think that in reality the "folder" functionality will disappear from spotify.

Suggested posts