Song Radio Plays Exact Same Sequence of Songs

Highlighted

Song Radio Plays Exact Same Sequence of Songs

pmosborne
Casual Listener
Hi, I'm having an issue when I start a Song Radio where it plays the exact same tracks in the same sequence every time I start it (with weeks in-between). E.g. Start Radio on song ORIGINAL. Radio = ORIGINAL, Song 1, Song 2, Song 3, Song 4. I do the same thing weeks later and get the exact same tracks in the same order (ORIGINAL, Song 1, Song 2, Song 3, Song 4). Is this supposed to be happening? This is not how all the other streaming services work. I don't recall running into this before with Spotify Radios. Thanks!
11 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Song Radio Plays Exact Same Sequence of Songs

Chokichi
Regular

As far as I know, Spotify changed the way Radio stations work. Radios used to randomly select songs based on the original song/album/artist and then up or down votes for different songs that it fed you. Now it just creates a static playlist so it plays the same songs every time. In my opinion, this is a stupid change. For one, it makes a whole playlist based on a very narrow set of data. Second, it creates the problem that you're experiencing where you listen to the same songs in the same order (unless you shuffle). Their reasoning is that it lets you save the radio, but that's what regular playlists were for! Radios are awesome because they let you find new music and then add it to a playlist that you could save for offline listening. Spotify devs might argue that you get the same experience at the end of the playlist when it starts serving you more songs based on the playlist (I refuse to call it a radio station). However, why hide a real radio inside a fake one?

Highlighted

Hey @pmosborne.

Thanks for posting your question in the Community 🙂

We recently made some changes to the way Radio works, so that Radio stations are now finite, pre-determined playlists which you can save to Your Library. 

Hope that clears things up! If you or @Chokichi would like to leave your feedback about this, there's an existing idea in the Community where you can do that - just head here. Thanks - we appreciate it 🙂

Let us know if you have any other questions about Radio or anything else!

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Highlighted

Chokichi
Regular

Hi Peter, thanks for the response. I'm well aware and unhappy with the change to the radio. I've upvoted and created my own post in the suggested feature forum. I don't understand why both features can't exist? Why not add an option to create an auto-generated playlist (since that's what radio has become. It's a playlist now and not a radio). Then we could keep the radio function that many Spotify users want. By changing the radio function, Spotify lost a feature that nearly all of its competitors have. 

Highlighted

muller1234
Visitor

This change has completely ruined the radio function. It used to be an amazing way to discover new music based on tracks/albums you listen to a lot. Like an ever changing  artist-themed "Discover Weekly" after each listen.

Now it is just an unbearable rehashing of the same couple of artists/tracks, that I keep 'down-voting' with no effects and therefore end up hating. Please, please, please change it back.

Highlighted

Chokichi
Regular

I'm amazed that this post still gets comments. I'm also still unhappy with the status of the radio. Why can't we have both options? Static radio and flexible radio? 

Highlighted

O_s_c_a_r
Casual Listener

This is such a useless change. Why did this even need to happen? At least let us choose in the settings between it being a static or dynamic playlist. Literally every other streaming service got this right.
Do radio stations play the same exact mix of songs everyday? No. It's called radio for a reason, bring it back to it being randomized everytime.

It's driving me crazy to have to pay for both Spotify and YouTube Music, because every feature that one service does wrong, the other one does it right.

Highlighted

Hello @Chokichi, @pmosborne, @O_s_c_a_r, @muller1234,

Check out Spotify Stations if you are Radio fans. This is another app from us that might be able to offer what you are looking for.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

GuidoModerator

Highlighted

O_s_c_a_r
Casual Listener

Hi,

Thank you for your answer but I'm not sure what app you're talking about...

Screenshot_20200111-120452.jpg
Highlighted

Hey @O_s_c_a_r,

Stations hasn't launched in all markets yet. But you can find more info about this here.

We hope it will launch soon in your region in case it hasn't yet.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

GuidoModerator

SUGGESTED POSTS