Premium

Country

UK

Device

Web player

Operating System

Chrome

My Question or Issue

I've noticed that music are skipping/hiccuping about ten seconds into every song - the music just pauses briefly and then starts again. It's not a huge issue, but it's annoying, and seems to only be happening with Spotify. 

7 Replies

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch!

It sounds like something might be up in your hosts files. Here's how you can try to fix that:

Windows:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

MacOS:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that does the trick! Let us know if it doesn't or if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

My guess is where she is using the webplayer - she is using a chromebook. NOT windows)  I have had this same problem for over a week. (Acer Chromebook 15 cb3-532) Had a lovely response from Terry, but, again, I am about 99% sure this is a Spotify glitch and needs to be fixed.  Yes, I realize I could use the android app but I choose not to use them. I just want to listen to my PREMIUM SPOTIFY on CHROME and have it work. The way it is now, I can't listen to it. I just stops and starts over and over. Sometimes it permanently stops until you move your cursor.  Thank goodness there are other sites to listen to great music on.  I really depend on Spotify to work and work properly. I pay for this service.  Have spent years of my life making playlists and feel a company as large as Spotify should NOT have as many techinal problems as it does. It is an ongoing problem having problems!!! Chromebooks especially are neglected on spotify.  Most "help" areas do not even list "chromebook" to check off if, you're having a technical problem. I have been making more and more playlist on another channel and find myself so tired of all the problems I PAY FOR on SPOTIFY, I'm almost ready to call it a day. I've a been a premium member for years and years.  This latest problem is just one of many and really, IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED.  I'm so tired of one thing fixed only to open Spotify and find 2 new problems. It is really getting old. Please fix this ASAP. 

Still no help for those with chromebooks.  Over a week, perhaps two that this stop and start b.s. has been going on. If you have a premium acct. (which I have had for years) and find out that this is not and issue and Spotify can't be bothered with it, then what and why am I paying Spotify for. I have been with Spotify for longer than I can remember. I have spent literally thousands of hours finding and making playlist I love, BUT, what good are they to me if I can't lsten to them? So, once again, this is all being blamed on something is wrong with EVERYONES computers - Apples, Macs (which you have a VERY technical answer for) but, those with chromebooks, no anwer and non withcoming. I have been using youtube and finding incredible music. I have SO many other places to listen to music now and make playlists.  I just can't toss cash out the window.  Could be it is time to let it all go?  Hope those with Apple and Mac computers found this helpful, but i still say this is glictch in the SPOTIFY system. Why would so many of us have this same problem. NONE of my other music stations have this stop-start- stutter problem. NO, THIS IS ON YOUR END. IT SHOULD BE FIXED BY NOW! 

Hi Guido! Thank you for this advice, but I am listening to the web app on a Chromebook, so neither of those solutions will work. Songs are still pausing for about 2 or 3 seconds 9 seconds into every song that plays, and it's incredibly annoying. 

Same here, except that the hiccups last only a few milliseconds, which is not much less annoying.
Running Windows 11. Tested on Windows app, Edge and Chrome browsers, same issue.

I've been listening from my Android phone now, where this isn't happening.

Min is doing this when playing on Google Home. Everysong Hiccups a second or two after playing starts. Almost like it is buffering the song it is about to play. I wouldn't notice if it would just buffer first and then start playing.

Appears my problem is with Google Home not Spotify. I have the same stuttering problem using YouTube Music.

Suggested posts