Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs keep skipping by themselves. HELP.

Solved!

Songs keep skipping by themselves. HELP.

I'm using a free plan and using a HP pavilion Chromebook on Chrome OS 65. 

I cannot download the actual spotify player because im on Chromebook so i use the web player a lot but recently whenever a start a song, it skips after 2 second, then again and for every song. It just keeps skipping after a couple seconds. 

I've went through a lot of threads but they were all from around 2014 so i created a new one, if there is a new answer.

122 Replies

I'm having a very similar issue but using the actual Spotify dekstop app, not the web app. I've had the same issue on the Android app as well. It seems like a deeper problem with the Spotify player.

When this happens, Spotify just continuously skips through songs. In my case, it doesn't play any audio, just skips through tracks every fraction of a second. 

I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, changing the default audio device for Spotify in Windows settings, and running as administrator, but nothing has solved the issue. Spotify developers really need to step up and fix this problem. It's been an ongoing issue for me for years.

Hey @AlteriusOmega,

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community 🙂

It looks like you are experiencing a different type of issue. We can see that you also posted in this thread. We'll try our best to help you out there.

If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Stay safe!

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, I keep experiencing this issue of Web Player keeps skipping song by themselves.  I am a paying customer and only want to use the web player on my computer.  The web player was working fine until November 2020.  My Spotify is setup so that it is not connected to Facebook, and I have it setup not to share my usage with FaceBook. However, I am seeing the Web Player getting hung up with my FireFox Facebook container as Web Player Spotify is making Facebook call and my FireFox contain is getting alerted and halting the web call.

This tells me Spotify needs to change the Web Player 3rd party trackers.

I think this is why the web player is skipping songs, as Spotify is making calls to Facebook.  And between my AdBlockers, my FB AdBlocker and my FB Container in Firefox, the web player is now broken,

Spotify needs to design this to NOT use Facebook as a required tracker.

Please fix.

thank u for fixing the problem im not dealing with it anymore

Hi there @terabyteman,

Thanks for sharing your troubleshooting with the Community!

At this point we'd suggest trying a different browser if you're experiencing issues with Firefox.

Let us know if you experience the same using another browser.

Thanks.

AlexModerator

Hello,

I have tested it with Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi browsers.

You all need to make some changes around the 3rd party trackers, or quit using them.

-- Tom Burgess

Yep, I can confirm the issue is fixed. Thanks everyone ❤️

Nope, it still does not work on my PC's web player (Chrome, already tried Incognito tab; premium subscriber). Please fix it or advise us how to fix it, otherwise I see no point in maintaining my Spotify subscription. Thanks! 🙂

Sorry, I cannot see that the issue is fixed. It still does not work on my PC's web player (Chrome, already tried Incognito tab; on MS Edge the web player does not seem to work at all). Please fix it or advise us how to fix it, otherwise I see no point in maintaining my Spotify subscription. Thanks! 🙂

Hey @Ienz,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

We'd like to try some of the troubleshooting  steps suggested previously in order to get to the bottom of this, since the ongoing issue on Chromebook was resolved a while back. Could you let us know if the issue persists when you use another device altogether? It would be great if you could also give it a go with another account. You can create a free one with another email here. If it works on the new account you can copy your playlists from the old account using these steps . 

It's also a good idea to check if you observe the same under a different network. If it works with another connection, it's best to contact the service provider of the original network for more information.

Let us know if that helped, we'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

Hello Mihail,

Many thanks for your swift reply. 

The problem only happens on my work PC, but not on other devices that we use within our Family Account, e.g. iPhones, iPads or a Sonos player.

Playing Spotify on my PC used to work every day for years, but ceased to work last week. I have tried Chrome and MS Edge - no success. I have tried both WiFi and LAN connection - no success. I have set up a new account - no success, tracks keep skipping in the web player.

Frankly, I am quite surprised that, according to your Support Forum, this issue appears to persist since many years without being fixed by Spotify.

So, what would you suggest?

Best regards,

Ienz

Hi there @Ienz,

Thanks for the info.

Can you try to remove any entries that contain Spotify from the Host files on your PC if your system administrator allows it.

Have a look at the Solution by @Sebasty in this Thread.

These can often cause playback issues with the Web player.

Also can you let us know if tracks are skipping if you're connected to a mobile Hotspot on your work PC?

Let us know how you get on with this.

AlexModerator

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the hints. I have checked the host files but found no entries containing Spotify.

And I have tried both WiFi as well as a LAN connection for my PC.

Hi @Ienz,

Thanks for the reply and for going through this troubleshooting process with us.

Can you clarify if you've tried connecting your work PC to another network like a public network or you've only tried with Wi-Fi and Lan on the same network?

Sometimes system administrators may enable certain processes which hinder the performance of apps like Spotify.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

Hello Alex,

No, currently I can only connect my PC to my own network (I am in home office ;-)). 

By the way, I have to access the internet through my employer's VPN (Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client). This might be causing the problem. Still, it used to work for many years.

Having said this, I guess that this bug affects many users across the globe, so it might be in Spotify's utmost interest to fix it so people don't switch to your competitors.

Thanks & best regards!

Hello, any news on this? The bug still persists...

Is there anybody out there?

Hey there @Ienz

Thanks for getting back to us and apologies for the delay.

Would you mind sending us your device's make and model?

Also, could you let us know if you're able to use the web player with no issues when you disconnect from the VPN?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi @Novy,

I have an HP EliteBook 830 G5, and I cannot connect to the internet other than through my organisastion's VPN.

However, I think I just figured out something: If I switch the playback via "Connect Device" from "This Webbrowser (Spotify Connect)" to my Sonos player (via Spotify Connect), which is in the same LAN/WiFi network as my laptop, it works fine. But when I revert to the webbrowser, it keeps on skipping tracks.

Maybe this helps... many thanks in advance!

Jens

Hey @Ienz,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for all the info you've shared with us.

We're afraid that we don't support VPNs as they might interfere with Spotify, specially if they're from a company/organization. In this case, we suggest to get in touch with the team in charge of your network or IT department to check if there are any restrictions or blocks on their end.

We hope this helps. If you need anything else, give us a shout.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts