Songs skipping on Google Home, Chromecast Audio

Solved!

Songs skipping on Google Home, Chromecast Audio

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device Running Spotify App

iPhone 7 with iOS 13.6 (Spotify 8.5.70) OR Macbook Pro late 2012 with macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (Spotify 1.1.39.612.g1e7e78a4)

Device Playing Music

Google Home, Chromecast Audio, Google Wifi Hub.

My Question or Issue

Songs skip around without me pressing any buttons within the app. I select a song and it immediately jumps back and forth between songs.

I've tried it with the following products in our home: Google home, Chromecast Audio, Google Wifi hub. I also have Chromecast video and home mini but have not tried streaming the music on it.

All google products are fully up to date and have been rebooted. I have also logged out of Spotify from all devices and re-logged in and changed my Spotify password.

Song skipping occurs when music is controlled from either phone or computer. Song skipping occurs when playing both individual speakers and groups, does not occur when played only on a computer or phone.

This has been happening for more than a month, very intermittently before, but recently it's gotten so bad it's completely unusable.

A fix would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Julian_T,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. Would you kindly try a clean reinstall on the App? 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hello! I ended up completely deleting/removing my Google Home and re-adding it. This seems to have fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @Julian_T,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. Would you kindly try a clean reinstall on the App? 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

I did a clean reinstall on all my machines and this seems to have taken care of it. Thanks!

Hello! Which app(s) did you reinstall? Thanks!

I reinstalled Spotify following the clean reinstall and the problem remains. I choose a playlist, choose a song, and (only when trying to listen on Google home) it skips to like the fourth or fifth song on the playlist.

Hey there @ashleyelaine85,  

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently, could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this? If the clean reinstall didn't do the trick for you, make sure no power saving and data cleaning apps or settings are active on your phone.  

Let us know how it goes! We’ll be right here if you still need help.   

Marked as solution

Hello! I ended up completely deleting/removing my Google Home and re-adding it. This seems to have fixed the problem.

So I have done 2 clean reinstallation of the App and Google home - and songs still skip back and forth when chromecasting to google speakers.... so what next? 

Hey @MW71,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

Good job on the troubleshooting you've done so far. Could you let is know if this happens when the google speakers are disconnected? Also have you seen devices you don't recognize via Connect or songs you don't listen to appear in your playlists? It might be a good idea to follow the steps here just in case. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Nope - everything works fine on my phone. It really only happens when I Chromecast to my google speakers..... and it’s only happened recently.. is there any known compatibility issues regarding the  latest iOS upgrade? 

no strange Spotify account issues either.... 

I am having the exact same issue. It’s been happening for approx. three days.

Hey there folks,

We'd like to look further into this so we'd need a bit more info.

Could you tell us the following:

• Spotify Version 
  • Exact OS version of your phone
  • Models of your smart speakers and Chromecast device.
  • Does this happen when you use another network, for example when creating a mobile hotspot and connecting all devices to that.

If anyone can record a video of what's going on across your devices when you try streaming would be very helpful.

Thanks 🙂

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I also needed to completely remove all of my Google Nest Wifi devices and Google Home devices and re-add them. That seemed to fix the issue. Just doing a reset of the devices was not sufficient to fix the issue.

I removed the Google Home and Google Nest Wifi devices and re-added them.

Same issue for me across several google home and mini devices

When I try to play a song on google device, cast from phone, it skips 4 songs in the list, then plays 9 seconds of the fifth song. sound stops coming from the speaker, but both the speaker and the app think the song is still playing.

• Spotify Version : 8.5.82.894  (Oct 26)
  • on Spotify Premium family plan
  • Exact OS version of your phone: Android 10 
  • Models of your smart speakers and Chromecast device. Google Home Speaker, Google Home mini

Things I have tried

remove all devices from 'home' and reconnect

reboot devices 

remove spotify app and reinstall.

playing music on phone speaker, or on a bluetooth speaker works fine

playing music on google home from another service (youtube music) works fine

Hey @davisonca,

Thank you for your post and for the information you provided.

Can you confirm if you performed a clean reinstall or a reinstall? A clean reinstall will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you have the option to log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's - can you do it to see if the issue persists?

As @Alex mentioned - does this happen when you use another network, for example when creating a mobile hotspot and connecting all devices to that.

It would also be great if you can provide us a recording so we can take a closer look

Keep us posted. We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi,
I performed a clean reinstall of spotify ( cache and data cleared, shutdown
and restart after 2 mins, then reinstalled the app and logged back in)

Same issue was happening. I did a factory reset on one of the google homes
and that seems to have finally resolved the problem. Seems that the one
speaker was causing the issue across all of the devices.

Hey @davisonca,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Really glad yo here that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

If you have any questions we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey, I was with the same issue, but didn’t reinstall anything. Before following the tips here I simply asked google home to disconnect all the Bluetooth devices (using voice command) and... done! Everything on Spotify got back working. I think a Bluetooth connection to my laptop was causing it.

Solved my problem to.

Suggested posts