Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sonos Controller v5.5 no more folders

Sonos Controller v5.5 no more folders

There are no more folders in the Sonos app, starting with version 5.4 and 5.5. 

According to Sonos, Spotify has changed its architecture or API. 

Please add them back in. No folders makes for a messy list of playlists. 

If I wanted that I would just go to Rdio. 

PLEASE HELP! 

22 Replies

Same problem here, Sonos and Spotify are now pointing at each other. "It's not us, it's them". And no one is repairing it. The users spend hundreds of euro's, but do they care? Unbelievable!

I know.

One guy I talked to said they "didn't deliberately remove it (folders)." But then I think, so you just hastily ran through this update without recognizing one of the biggest features of Spotify?

Best thing to do is mail a support question at Sonos. If they get thousands of complaints they eventually will notice.

Thanks Pigeon1. 

I've done that directly and on their forum (as have others). 

Sonos says they have created their own Spotify app for their system, and didn't "deliberately remove folders" but couldn't confirm adding it back in. They also blamed Spotify's new API for not supporting folders. Though, their iOS and OS app has folders. 

Spotify meanwhile said to ask Sonos, saying its their issue. 

We just need Taylor Swift to write a blog post about this. 

This is indeed catastrophic to the Spotify music listening experience on Sonos. Many people have already complained to Sonos about this on their forums, and if Sonos' responses are to be believed the fault actually lies with Spotify's lack of API support. Though I've been very pleased with my Spotify experience to this point, it's the kind of issue that, if unaddressed, will make me look elsewhere.

Agreed. 

It's weird that no one from Spotify has joined in.

On the Sonos forum they are on it! 

I send a mail to Sonos Support. This is what they said:

"Unfortunately it is not possible to undo the update as Spotify decides which functions they share with Sonos. Occasionally this results in some functions being available within the Spotify app but not within the Sonos app."

So they blame Spotify. I will send this message to Spotify, see how they will respond.

To be continued...

Mmmm, sending a message to Spotify is not that easy. For support they just send you to this community.

So Spotify Support Team: will you please respond to my last reply: Is it your fault that we don't see the maps in Sonos anymore and if yes: when are you're going to repair this?

Thanks guys! 

Also, I'd encourage everyone to tweet at @SpotifyCares

I've done so and they assured me it would be "sent to their engineers." 

Exhibit A:

https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/653029382286671873

Hello Spotify Support, where are you? Do you not have a respons time of 24 hours? Or less?

Or is it wintertime? Are you sleeping?

Verry good support team, 2 thumbs up!

I guess I feel pretty strongly about something as simple as folders, so I created this:
http://bringbackfolders.com/

Send it around if you agree.

Hey everyone,

Spotify playlist folders are not supported in Sonos controllers or apps. But, while you won’t see the folders, you will still find the playlists from those folders directly under Playlists.

If you'd like to see this feature in the future, we recommend adding your kudos to this Idea in our Community Idea Exchange:  [Sonos][Playlists] Restore the folder structure in the web API so they are visible in Sonos again

We will continue to pass this feedback on internally and we'll update you there first if we have any news.

Hi Meredith, 

I, and I'm sure many others, do not regard this as a new request. I've been using this feature happily for over 2 years and all of a sudden its gone. To a customer, this a regression. A UX design failure that has rendered this premium service useless to many.

Being able to see the playlists in a flat structure is not a consolation when you have THOUSANDS of playlists. Especially when this new app version doesnt seem to have any logic to the ordering of the playlists?

Is it possible do give a thumbs down?

Spotify playlist folders are not supported because you removed them from your API.

How about instead you pass this URL to your boss and we can have an open conversation on why no one is listening:

http://bringbackfolders.com/

This is a poor and unsatisfactory response.

The folders used to be available in Sonos and after the update they are gone.

All of a sudden you guys have completely changed how we use Sonos.

You gave no warning, no explanation and there was no way to not update the app.

If I had a choice I would NEVER have chosen to "upgrade" to a version of the Sonos app that did not keep my playlists properly organized in their folders so I could find and play the music I want to listen to.

This is a disaster and your cavalier response to ask us to give "kudos" to an idea is silly.

Bring back the folders that I and others have curated and use to listen to our music.

I use my Sonos system pretty much exclusively to listen to Spotify. All my Spotify music is arranged in folders, and not being able to get to those folders makes $1000+ worth of Sonos equipment useless to me.

Please, Spotify, do whatever you need to do to bring back folders!

I suppose the alternative is to migrate to another music service that gets along with Sonos better than Spotify. After years of listening to and organzing my music on Spotify, this won't be easy, so I hope there will be other options available to us.

Hey Meredith, could you please reply. There are several people that responded to your post. The bottom line is that you are talking about a new feature, while we know that this feature was 2 weeks ago available for us. So what we like Spotify to do is to turn back the clock and restore the folders in their api.

Thank you.

I heard that Deezer has folders for your favorites, so while Spotify is not (yet) responding, I'm going to take a look if Deezer works good with Sonos.

I can only find a few of my Spotify playlists on Sonos. Most of them say "No Selections are Available"

I'm beginning to understand and accept that I won't be able to listen to Spotify on Sonos any more. Since I've spend more than $1000 on Sonos components, at this point I can ony hope that there's a secondary market for this equipment. If I can't get to my Spotify playlists, it's pretty much useless to me. 

Suggested posts