Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 5.0.0.0 released for Windows Phone 8. New UI!

Spotify 5.0.0.0 released for Windows Phone 8. New UI!

Finally, Spotify released a new version today with the same look and feel like Android/iOS

Here are some of the release notes:

• Spotify has a bold and beautiful new look: playing your favorite music has never looked so good.
  • Your Music on Windows Phone: helps you save, organize and browse your music collection.
  • Updated browse feature: delivering even more relevant and localized content.

Download: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/spotify/10f2995d-1f82-4203-b7fa-46ddbd07a6e6

Missing features:

• Spotify Connect
  • Last.fm scrobbling
  • ?

58 Replies

The app is nearly unusable on my Lumia 1520 Windows Phone.

Any attempt to go to Browse > Your Music crashes the app, and even trying to add a song to a playlist does so.

This problem persists even after re-install, and makes use of Spotify very difficult.

same problem for me.. works ok in offline mode.. but for the online mode, a lot of problem with the connection (wifii and 3g )!! Lumia 930

I've opened a case to spotify about this issue.  They gave me a test account and it works perfectly online and offline.  Seems to be that the problem is my account with the new app.

Will post when they find a solution for this.

I had a similar issue as lenslook, I tried the test account and it worked perfectly with no issues. They helped change my account over to a new one, and they were very helpful with it. For a little while (i.e. 5 songs in a row) it worked fine, but the next time I tried it, it started cutting my songs out. It seems that the test account works fine but for some reason some people's accounts just have issues with the Windows Phone apps. I'm gonna open another case in a few days about it and see if I can get it fixed once and for all.

The problem was solved for me.  My account was reset by spotify and everything was OK.

After they imported my saved albums and playlists the problem appeared again.

I deleted all my playlists and saved albums, and again it's working OK.

So, the problem was caused by something wrong in my playlists or saved albums..... 😕

maybe i found a solution.. but actually i found in my offline device settings.. 2 windows phone with the same code but different date.. i delated the oldest one and for the moment it works...

So I actually found the solution to this...

I navigated to Browse > [My Name] > Playlists (which was the only way I could get to them, but still buggy).

One of these playlists didn't have any album art showing for the avatar, and I think it said it was created in 1970 or something odd like that.

I deleted this from Spotify desktop, and all of a sudden the app is working properlywithout it - must have been corrupted or something.

It's a shame because it was one of my favourite playlists 😕

The exact same behaviour happens to me...
This is a showstopper for me. I will not upgrade to Premium if I can't resume after a pause.

In reply to wizake:

"Resuming doesnt work like it should. Let me 'demonstrate':

When you press the volume buttons, you can see the song currently playing. If I pause it and do somethign else on my phone (emails, facebook, etc).. after a while, the song clears from the volume section. When you press the volume buttons, the song is not there anymore. Even though, Spotify app is still in the list of 'frozen' apps.

When I resume it, it takes me back to home, and you can see that on the bottom there is no 'currently playing' section. 

I have to start over, find the playlist I was listening to.. 😞 "

How this is a full release (5.0) by just updating the graphics is beyond me.

By default the app starts in the home screen with completely unwanted playlists, like "Wake up call" and "Top of the morning" all filled with run-of-mill pop and dance songs I care nothing about.

Thankfully I can also go directly to the "Newest releases", also filled with the same garbage. Access to my playlists are a depressing 3 clicks away, while the whole point of this app is to listen to THE MUSIC THAT I WANT TO HEAR.

The random and repeat function in playlists don't work like they should. Even though it shows that random and repeat are selected, they have to be unselected and then selected again in order for the playlist to be randomized and set to repeat. Way to give a real retro '90's feeling!

The bluetooth connection to my car is a different experience than android as well. Spotify doesn't start when the connection is made and (far worse) there is no song progression bar.

Last but definately not least: the apparent "On any exception return to home screen" functionality is a cute trick that the programmers should be personally flogged for. Repeatedly.

actually i really wanna came back to the old version..

This version is unusable.. 100 problems of connection.. broken playlist.. slow even on the flag ship phone..

Very Frustrating..

I gave to spotify the last opportuny..

Like everyone else here, I have the same problems that are mentioned in this thread. It's ridicolous that the shuffle issue is back? It all great with new UI and new functions, but it would be even better it they tried to fix the problem that already exist.

I have lost all hope that any good version will come to Windows Phone 8.1, and HOPE that it will be all better when they start rolling out Windows 10.

What was the point of this update? There's nothing I can do now that I couldn't do before, but the app is now MUCH, MUCH slower on my Lumia 925. I'm seriously getting sick of the way you treat your WP userbase.

I'm a paying customer and you've already made me unsub once with the way you handled the WP7.x platform updates. I honestly do not give one single **bleep** about how popular iOS is on the American market. If I wanted to see iOS style apps on my phone, I'd get an iPhone. If you're going to insist on pushing the same design across all platform (where only iOS users get the design that fits their OS), then at least make it so it not only looks but also works the same. In almost a year of using this phone, I've not seen an app this laggy. There are people out there making audio playing apps for free that look and work better than the Spotify client.

If you find the lack of LOCAL FILE SYNC importantor remotely important too then click here for this post: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-quot-Local-Files-Syncing-quot-to-Windows-Phone-Ap...

Hey there.

There is local files only on desktop and iPad. Android and WP, no... But in iPad this stuff is not good, as I do not have Spotify app on my PC. I tred linux app, but it was useless for me, I never used it... So I uninstalled...

And to be honest, I don't have files ever 😄

I stream stuff. Movies, series, documents, music...

Now Spotify has introduced Last fm. Scrobbling in Spotify 5.1 as well as improvement in performance (less bugs and strange app starts from an artist's live tile). As well as the ability to delete saved radio stations.

To activate Last FM, go to settings > social > Scrobble to Last FM > on.

To delete a station on your radio, go to the radio tab, and press and hold one of your saved stations, a little pop up window with two options: Play Station and Delete Station.

When I open Spotify it doesn't open. It just shows Loading..." for a while, and then shuts back down. The live-update icon is just blue with "Spotify" text, no more picture or last album I listened to. I've uninstalled twice, and it works for a little (maybe a few days) and then stops working again.

Anyone else having issues like this too?!

No I don't think anyone else has this problem...

After using the so for a bit, I'm still finding the app being very slow and sometimes unstable. Also, I wish that the app would have some of the features now coming to the other platforms (hold to preview, swipe to save/queue, running feature).

After working with the new App, some bugs are already popping up. Don't know if anyone from Spotify is looking at this, but if they are here are a few things I found.

There is no way to filter and search for a specific song in the categories of "My Music"

• I don't like having to scroll all the way down the just to find the single: "We Found Love" by Rihanna at the bottom of the Album list.
  • Also, the Albums are listed according to title instead of artist, which makes it confusing sometimes. The Artist split-album view is very unique to Windows Phone and a good feature that overcomes this

There is a black bar that pops up when scrolling between the first and second album in My Music

• If you've saved more than one album of an artist.
  • There is a strange bar that hides the first few songs (of the second album) as you scroll between the 1st two albums.

Can't change song order a Playlist

• You may be able to rename, delete, remove specific songs and set the privacy of your own curated playlists, but...
  • ...You can't change the song order.

Awkward Space in the side menu

• Bottom half of the side menu (with access to Search, Browse, My Music, etc...) is completely empty.
  • Looks awkward on smaller phone sizes and it may be harder to click.

Spotify Connect is STILL missing

• Love to make my Windows Phone become a remote for my PC, but that's not available, yet...

Music Player Interface isn't as great as it should've been

• Swipping Left and Right for next/back is finicky, you need to hold your finger before it can even move
  • Slow interface, need to wait for next song to load.
  • Playback sometimes crashes when away from Spotify for long periods of time.
  • Resuming isn't quick and it doesn't always return you to Browse
  • Tapping on an Live tile shortcut to an Artist/Album/Playlist doesn't get you to your destination on the first-try.

In short: SPOTIFY??? WHERE ARE YOU???

I can report that the latest version of the app doesn't work on Nokia Lumia 920.

It loads -- and after crashing multiple times continues to display the "What's New" screens -- and then whenever I try to play anything (and "Shuffle Play" is always preselected) it waits a bit and then crashes.

If this is the best Spotify can do for its unique, captive user base that isn't on iOS (and hence no competition with Apple Music) then I won't be extending my trial period.

I'm trying it on my other Nokia just for "fun".

Cheers,

Ed

Suggested posts