Solved!

Spotify App Won't Work on Chromebook

Plan

Premium

Device

Acer Chromebook 11

Operating System

Google Chrome(?)

Spotify appears as a black screen when I open the app. I've tried clearing my cache and reinstalling Spotify, but it hasn't worked. The web player works fine, but I prefer using the app over it; could anyone help me figure this out?

Screenshot 2019-04-27 at 2.42.13 PM.png

Additionally, while I was trying to post this message I ran into trouble; it wouldn't show me the captcha images until I went into incognito mode.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @savilyn and @maudiejie,

On desktop or laptop computer we support Windows and MacOS. On Mobile devices we support Android and iOS devices. More info here.

We don't have an official Chromebook app yet so we recommend using the webplayer.

Hope that works! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I fixed this issue by clearing cache in app options... might give it a try. 

Marked as solution

HI, I solved this on an ASUS 302 by doing the following....

1) Download the Sptify app

2) Open it and pin the app icon to the toolbar/dock

3) Click on icon to open the app - I got a big black screen

4) Right mouse click on the Spotify icon in the dock and select search

Whammo - the black screen cleared up and the search screen appeared and I was able to search and play 🙂

Hope this helps,

Screenshot 2019-06-12 at 9.25.54 AM.pngT

27 Replies

I have the exact same problem.

Chromebook Asus something.

Netherlands.

Maud

Hi there!!! 

It is probaly due to your school district blocking spotifys app!

Please Like

I am not in school, I am 60 years old

Marked as solution

On desktop or laptop computer we support Windows and MacOS. On Mobile devices we support Android and iOS devices. More info here.

We don't have an official Chromebook app yet so we recommend using the webplayer.

Have a nice day.

Yes, but chromebooks can natively run android, so there is no reason the app shouldn't work. Every other app on the play store I have tried from netflix to google photos to even snapchat have worked fine with no probems whatsoever. The only app that doesn't open properly is spotify. 

@Guido wrote:

Have a nice day.

I did try using the android system and it worked fine with the exception of needing more space constantly (which can be solved if you want to invest in google 1 for 2.99 monthly) BUT, the web player and app should work on our chromebooks without having to do that.  I have not been able to access or see a fix to this problem since the last Spotify update.  All kinds of problems. I am going to try using the android system again for now. I can't think of any other way to listen to my premium spotify otherwise. So, with all due respect, using the web player or spotify app is not an answer if neither of them work. Thank you for trying to help.

are you working on a chromebook app? it's 2019 ya'll !!!!!

i was literally told on another spotify comunity page to go to the playstore and download the app if you have a chromebook. Now that it doesn't I'm being told on this page that spotify isnt supporting chromebooks. 

Hallo Maudiejie, 

I had the same problem, I'm using a new Asus C434TA.

The webplayer was showing a black screen and the android app seemed to open but not show anything. 

I managed to fix both. 

For the webplayer: go to https://open.spotify.com and see if that works.

If not, click the three dots in the top right corner, select more tools and click "clear browsing data..."

Select all time, and delete all cookies and cached items. 

If you want to use the spotify player, click on the three dots in the top right corner. Click more tools again and click install Spotify.

There's no option to download on the webplayer though, so that's why I wanted to use the android app. 

If you have the google play store enabled, look for the spotify app and install. 

When I opened the app, it showed me a big black screen. 

Make the window smaller, go to the drawer and longpress the app, and click app info.

click clear cache. after this the app showed me the login screen, and worked as expected. 

My guess is that chrome looks at cookies or cache in your other computers, and those mess stuff up sometimes. 

Good Luck!

Marked as solution

I fixed this issue by clearing cache in app options... might give it a try. 

Marked as solution

HI, I solved this on an ASUS 302 by doing the following....

1) Download the Sptify app

2) Open it and pin the app icon to the toolbar/dock

3) Click on icon to open the app - I got a big black screen

4) Right mouse click on the Spotify icon in the dock and select search

Whammo - the black screen cleared up and the search screen appeared and I was able to search and play 🙂

Hope this helps,

Screenshot 2019-06-12 at 9.25.54 AM.pngT

I don't think I've ever seen a LESS helpful answer! Seriously.....

This is a problem with the web player that appears to be specific to Chrome OS.  People referring to the app are still talking about the web player (Progressive Web App).  This problem started this morning for me, worked fine yesterday.  There is a problem with a Chrome OS token having a space in the html...

"web-player.47664d26.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: Failed to execute 'add' on 'DOMTokenList': The token provided ('Chrome OS') contains HTML space characters, which are not valid in tokens."

Also, there are some folks in this conversation referring to the Android Spotify app - which will work on Chromebooks that support Android Apps.   There does not appear to be a problem with the Android App on Chrome OS.

But there is a problem with the web player on Chrome OS - the black screen described previously.  None of the suggested fixes have worked for me.  

The webplayer is where the problem exists on Chrome OS as of today... so "use the webplayer" is not a solution.

I tried using the web player on my Chromebook, but it also doesn't work. My screen is still a black screen.

Also running a Chromebook from my house (not some shared network) & am getting a black screen.  Have tried clearing cache/cookies, restarting the whole computer & various other solutions... none of which have worked.  Have two separate accounts & can't get a playlist to show on either of them. 

I've never had so many problems with Spotify as I have since signing up for Premium!  This is unacceptable.  They finally worked out the 10-second song pauses & now this  😞  

Thankfully it looks like this issue has been resolved as of this morning.  

I am 2 for 2 with the web player working on my Chromebooks currently.  

I much prefer the web player to using the Android app (on my Chromebooks).  

I hope I am not imagining this, but it seems to be streaming better as well.  I am also new to Spotify Premium, and I am loving it on my Android phone and in the car with Android Auto - but have found the playback in the web app to be a little choppy at times. 

Well you should have a Spotify Chromebook app because most kids have chromebooks and not Mac.

Suggested posts