Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Code usage

Spotify Code usage

Hi,

I have a question regarding Spotify Codes. Can I print the Spotifty Code on let's say a T-Shirt and sell it?

Is this allowed as is or do I have to get a license first?

6 Replies

Hey there, @TomoLV

We have some detailed info on this here!

You can also check out the Spotify Codes FAQ for more useful tips.

We hope this helps 🙂

All the best,

/M

Thanks @Melody!

The answer is almost perfect for my needs. The spotifycodes.com page is easily understandable and well-crafted! Yet another thumbs up for Spotify.

I've got one more question though - when I create such Spotify Code and simply put it on a T-Shirt (without any other trademarks - not even album title or band name, that may be protected by copyright law) - can I sell such T-Shirt without breaking Spotify's copyright laws?

Regards,

Tomek

Hey @TomoLV,

Could you link us to the URI which you'd like to turn into a code, out of interest? We'd like to know exactly what you had in mind.

Thanks!

Hi Jack,

Thanks for response. First of all, English is not my native language, so my intent might not have been perfectly clear.

Back to the topic, I would like to create a Spotify Code using this site ("Create Spotify Code"): http://www.spotifycodes.com/index.html#create.

For example I was interested in creating such code for a Linkin Park song, Nobody Can Save Me (uri: spotify:track:3dJj6o9o1fRgrojWjailuz). Once the code is created, I would like to download it and then print it on a T-Shirt.

My question was if I wanted to sell such T-Shirt (with Spotify Code), am I allowed to do it without breaking any copyright laws. In my example no song or artist name would be printed on a T-Shirt - just a generated Spofity Code (and also some custom text maybe, not connected with song or artist).

Regards,

Tomek

Hi again @TomoLV,

We appreciate the further info.

We've checked with the relevant teams, and you shouldn't be printing Spotify Codes that link to direct tracks or albums and selling merchandise with those codes printed on.

If you're creating a playlist to put on clothing to be seen, then it must adhere to these guidelines. Please take a read, and of the Terms and Conditions linked to them.

We hope this answers any questions.

Thanks!

Hey @JackS,

I was actually reading out your conversation with @TomoLV.

I would actually like to know why aren't we allowed to print specific artists/albums? I can't see a negative point because, one, we kind of advertise that artist and 2, we also advertise Spotify as a platform (being the only platform that can actually scan the code). Does it have to do with the fact that we are making money out of that?

Kindest regards,
Bogdan

Suggested posts