Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Community Forum: Instant Kudos (JavaScript AJAX)

Solved!

Spotify Community Forum: Instant Kudos (JavaScript AJAX)

Whenever I Kudos something, it has to reload the entire page. Seriously? Not the place for PHP. Let's change the Kudos button functionality and make it JavaScript -- we click, the button changes to tell us our kudo was recorded, we continue scrolling down, reading, kudo-ing. It's a huge interruption to have the page reloaded -- have to scroll back down to where you were prior, ruins the flow. Instant Kudos! Made possible by the beautifully flawed jewel: JavaScript.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well: time to close this thread. Instant kudos is working. I have no idea what the heck was going on yesterday (is the other flavor with L's not community appropos? no idea how conservative we are here). Some fringe case though: *not* worth Spotify's time. Sorry for making a fuss 😛

View solution in original post

11 Replies

The page doesn't reload when I kudo a post. What browser are you using?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Firefox 27.0.1 on OS 10.9.2.

Just updated to Firefox 28.0 -- same thing when I Kudo'd your post. What browser and platform are you on?

Moved it over here in the help section since this seems to be more of a browser issue.

I'm on Firefox 28.0 and Win 7 x64 and it didn't have to reload the page but instantly added the kudo. Same on Chrome.

Maybe it's because of OSX?

I don't see how an OS could affect JavaScript that way. This odd issue should be tested on Mac 10.6-10.9 with all the browsers of note (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, IE, Opera...).

I'm using Windows 7 and 8 with Chrome 33 and a Chromebook with Chrome 33.

Peter

There's something up with OS X and Firefox or something. I also posted this: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Improve-Spotify-Community-Forum-Text-Box/idi-p/714235 I don't see Rich Text or HTML. (HTML preceding this should be bold and there is a line break above this line -- I cannot see either after I post). I have Ubuntu at home -- will investigate later. I'd test on Windows, but they are the only pay-for OS left and ask for Product Keys, which makes clean installs for Windows a huge pain. Oh M$... the 90's are over, but not for you! M$ puns aside: I will extensively test my claims and post the results soon.

Ok @TamaLlamaFusion I'm only asking this to rule it out- do you have javascript disabled in your browser?  The fact that you know what javascript and AJAX do makes me think the answer is "no", but I had to ask!  I've had situations where I'm testing my work for compatibility and forget to turn it back on.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Haha -- JavaScript enabled 🙂 Good question though, helps to check. Firefox is smart and made users do about:config and go through a scary "void warranty" screen to enable/disable JS. So: thank you for that, Mozilla!
Marked as solution

Well: time to close this thread. Instant kudos is working. I have no idea what the heck was going on yesterday (is the other flavor with L's not community appropos? no idea how conservative we are here). Some fringe case though: *not* worth Spotify's time. Sorry for making a fuss 😛

Glad it is working again! Definitely something weird must have been going on yesterday!

If it crops up again, post back and we can pass it over to management.

Peter

Suggested posts