Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect: Denon Disconnecting Regularly (possible Android related issue)

Spotify Connect: Denon Disconnecting Regularly (possible Android related issue)

Hi,

I have a Denon network music player that I use to play Spotify using Spotify Connect. In the last week the connection has become very unreliable to the point that if I even turn on a Android phone/tablet the Spotify stream to the player is lost. 

I don't know if this is a Denon, Android or Spotify issue, all I can say is that the combination is currently unusable and I'm back to CDs for the moment.

Do any other Denon network player users have a similar problem, are any Android users seeing a similar problem?

Spotify: Have you seen similar issues with Denon products, network players or Android devices cutting off Spotify Connect streams? What do you suggest?

Gavin.

11 Replies

Having experimented (which is what the Testers should be doing, it's not a customers role) I'm pretty certain that it's an Android app issue. Someone else mentions under a Marantz thread that even touching an Android phone running the Spotify app can cause the Spotify Connect feed to fail. I see exactly the same thing with my Denon network music player.

I've therefore deleted Spotify from my Andoid phone and tablet until I know it's resolved. I can play Spotify via the website and use Connect to my Denon, this is playing OK but is inconvenient as I need to go into another room to my Mac to change the music.

Come on Spotify, fix the issue that you seem to have just coded into the Android app!

2nd January 2018 - I have the same problem, it seems to have got a lot worse since a firmware update for the Denon DNP730AE which occured a few weeks ago. I use spotify on my Android phone and very often now I can't see the Denon as an available device.

Sometimes I can see it but more often than not I can't see it. And when I can connect then often I lose the connection after some time. If my Android phone screen times out and I press a button to bring the screen back, then immediately I lose the connection with the Denon.

I want to try to roll back the firmware to the previous version but have no idea how to do this on the Denon.

I have same issue with Denon always missing spotify connect after last firmware update. I plan to visist authorized Denon dealer to get back to previous firmware (under warranty). On your own risk you can step back by dowloading firmware from Denon site.

http://firmware.denon.eu/

I've tried regressing the firmware myself but can't. It looks like firmware can only be upgraded, you can't go backwards. When the USB stick is checked it reports that you already have the latest firmware and stops, I can't see any way to force it to take the older firmware on the USB stick. If it is possible please let me know how as I'm keen to try the older firmware again.

AndrejK - Did you get your firmware downgraded to the older version? If so how? I've been in contact with Denon and they have just repeated the upgrdae instructions to me but these won't allow firmware downgrading.

I still have the problem and feel sure that the previous firmware version didn't have the issue, if I could only downgrade to test it!!!

Hi, I haven't downgraded my Denon player. I decided to uninstall Spotify application from all my Android devices. Right now I'm usung Windows PC and Apple device - all is fine, no freezes, no missing connection, etc. In my opinion problem is with Spotify app for Android. I hope Spotify will fix it soon, someone is also reading customers posts ;)))

Regarding firmware manual update, there is an PDF update guide. Have you tried it? Some notes: like remove network cable, disconnect WIFI, USB drive FAT format, correct folder structure, etc.

I've just seen articles on the Internet and Twitter about Google devices bringing down WiFi networks with large amounts of data when coming out of standby. This sounds very similar to our problem with Spotify. I have an Android phone, Android tablet, an Android TV, a Chromebook and 2 Google Homes all of which can be cast to. Do you think the issue is that my phone and tablet are checking links to the other cast devices when they come out of standby, are overloading the network and breaking the Spotify Connect link to the Denon?

Hi,

I have now downgraded the firmware after guidance from Denon; you insert the USB stick with the software on it and hold down Enter and Up when plugging the Denon into the mains.

My initial findings after about 3 hours is that the older firmware is more reliable.

Gavin.

PS - My network has been appalling today; I'm not sure if it's Google Home related but my Chromebook has struggled to get an IP address from the router and the Spotify web player has taken an age to load. I've moved the 2 Google Homes onto the 5GHz band of my router to see if this makes any difference.

Hi, congratulations with successfull firmware change! Next time I will buy DAC only and connect it directly to my PC.

Hi,

My network is still performing poorly but the Denon seems to be improved. Moving the Google Homes and Android TV onto the 5GHz band of my router may have helped to some extent.

Gavin.

Suggested posts