Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect Yamaha firmware update question

Spotify Connect Yamaha firmware update question

I just received an email from Spotify instructing me to upgrade the firmware on my Yamaha receiver because:

"We are upgrading the Spotify app in your device so you can listen to Spotify through your speakers and use the Spotify app on your phone, tablet or desktop as a remote control."

I have a Yamaha RX-V675 which already has Spotify Connect so I can already do what is described above. I don't understand why I need to update my firmware. Am I missing something? What exactly is changing in the firmware update? 

25 Replies

Update in my Rx-s600 solved problem today. Now I'm listening spotify premium without any problem. Firmware 1.21 you must have this number in your network update setup.
15195656554342087727908.jpg

Just wanted to say that manually downloading and installing the 1.28 firmware fixed the Spotify Connect problem on my RX-V477. The Yamaha's built-in firmware update function did not show the 1.28 firmware as available (it showed my previous 1.21 firmware as "up to date").

I did not receive any email from Spotify (or Yamaha) regarding the need to update as others on this forum seem to have gotten. Is there a way to register for those?

What was odd was that the RX-V477 appeared on the Devices Available list on some older Android phones (though they could not connect to it).  The RX-V477 did not appear at all in the Devices Available list on current Android phones (which presumably are using a newer version of the Spotify app).

This points out an opportunity for Spotify to improve their notification process since they were the ones that changed the API:  The app obviously knows who connects to Yamaha receivers.

Anyhow in an effort to help others who may still be struggling with this issue, I found the specific 1.28 firmware for the RX-V477 here:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/rx-v477_htr-4067.html

Download the firmware to your Desktop, unzip it, then open a browser tab to the address of the Yamaha on your LAN (you can find the Yamaha's address in its Setup/Network menu).

I.E., you should open a browser tab to "http://192.168.1.xxx" or whatever your Yamaha says its address is. You'll see a Firmware Update tab on that page where you can upload the .bin file from where you saved it on your PC.

Before doing this however, I would recommend that you first use the Yamaha's built-in firmware update function so that you are on the most current version it offers you (1.21 in my case).  This is so the "web page" function you will be using to manually upload the 1.28 firmware will be as current and bug free as possible.

I can attest that I had no problems updating from 1.21 to 1.28 using this method and that Spotify Connect is again working fine on this receiver.

I can't find the firmware for the CD-N301 anywhere..... Edit all I had to do was do an update using the remote control meu. Should have read the manual lol.

so spotify doesnt work with Yamaha anymoer?  that can't be right.

It does you just need to do the firmware update

@sillybeans wrote:

It does you just need to do the firmware update

Yup, works fine after the firmware update. 

Suggested posts