Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect and wired Yamaha 3075

Spotify Connect and wired Yamaha 3075

Hi

I am trying to work out how/if I can use Spotify Connect from my iPhone to my wired Yamaha 3075 Receiver.  The Receiver has the latest firmware supporting Connect.  I can select Spotify as an input on the receiver.

If I open up Spotify on my iPhone and play a track, I can see the device select option next to the play bar - however there are no devices showing.

The phone is on the same network as the receiver as I use both Airplay and the Yamaha AV Controller app from the iPhone.

How do I get to see the receiver as a device on the iPhone Connect window?  The receiver is wired only and I'm not buying a wireless adapter as everything else works already (Airplay, Plex, WMS etc).

Cheers

11 Replies

It sounds like Spotify Connect is not yet enabled on your account (since like all new features it is on a phased roll out) although annoyingly from other reports it should be enabled when the app detects a speaker on your network. If you have the desktop version of Spotify, can you see your iPhone under "Devices" in the desktop client (just to ensure this isn't actually a connection issue)?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Do you have a Premium subscription?

Hi Yes I do have the premium subscription.

When I look on my desktop Spotify I just see the screen telling me I can use USB or Wifi to connect or sync my devices.  But no devices are shown.

So I need to wait until Spotify Connect is enabled on my individual account?  Or is this a region thing?  I'm in Aus and thought it was already available.

Good to hear that no-one has said my receiver needs to be wirelessly connected - that was my biggest worry.

Heh, just take it as read that wherever you read "same wifi network" they actually mean "same network". It's not a region thing - connect is being rolled out on to batches of users at a time and, as long as Yamaha have released the connect firmware update, you should be set to go.

It sounds like connect is available on your iphone if you have the speaker icon which takes you to the connect screen, so it sounds like a communication issue to me, especially if your iphone doesn't show under "devices" on the desktop client. I assume that spotify on your iphone is not in offline mode and that it is connected to the same network as your desktop and receiver.

If we can get it to show under "devices" then probably connect will work too. Can you check your router settings and make sure that UPnP is enabled. Turn off all firewalls, antivirus and other security apps for the moment, reboot the router and your iphone and see if it appears under devices. If it does, try playing a track on it and tap the connect icon.

So after a couple of tweeks to the firewall (enabling UPnP and Spotify) - I am able to see my iPhone as a device on my Spotify desktop.

Still no joy seeing any devices on my iPhone when I play a track.

UPnP is enabled on the router.

If you have a seperate router and modem, is your Yamaha connected to the router and not the modem?

They are the same unit.  I am now able to see other wireless apple devices.  So iPhone and iPad, but still no sign of the wired Yamaha.

Could you double-check the Yamaha firmware and reboot it.

After a lot of chasing about I have been told by Spotify support that connect only works over Wifi.

So the fact my amp is connected via Ethernet it won't work.

Anyone else confirm whether they have used Connect over wired?  I can't believe someone would release a Wifi only version of a new feature.  Wired is always going to be king in my house, and paying $100 for a wifi dongle just to get connect working ain't gonna happen.

It should work over any connection, I can control my Pioneer speaker over 3G.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes, Spotify have now changed their story.

Yamaha say it is probably a router port setting.

Looking around I am seeing the following about Port forwarding

78.31.8.0/21
193.182.8.0/21

I have run a port scan and this port is not listed as enabled.

I have gone into my router port forwarding settings (Cisco Model DPQ3925)

However I am not sure how to enter the info above.

In port forwarding which IP should I be choosing?  The Yamaha IP on my network?

Also what do I do with the IP addresses?  No idea what to do with the prefix length value either.  My router manual has no mention of prefix lengths, so don't knwo how or where to enter,

A little shocked it is this hard to get connect working!

Suggested posts