Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect (desktop app) support for Harman Kardon Aura

Solved!

Spotify Connect (desktop app) support for Harman Kardon Aura

I've been trying to find a solution to my problem, in vain.

I own a Harman Kardon Aura speaker which, according to www.spotifygear.com, is a supported device for Spotify Connect purposes.

And indeed, when it comes to sending music from portable devices (iPhone, iPad or any other Android device), everything works quite flawlessly. 

However, sending music from Spotify's desktop application appears to be a complete headache, and apparently impossible. I'm running Windows7, with "HK Aura BT" added as bluetooth device. The PC and the speaker are definitely seeing each other. It is just not reflected in Spotify.

Thank you in advance for any input on this subject.

Cheers!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there!

Now HK added the support for spotify connect to Aura with a new firmware (Released January 2016) https://www.harmankardon.com/software.html

Bad news are that i already updated firmware and still nothing is working with iphone app or desktop.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

The manuel from HK is wrong. You have to start the update when the Aura is off!

Everything ist working now!

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Hey! 

Welcome to the Community. 

Just to check - which specific Spotify version do you have installed on desktop? Also, have you checked the following:

1. Have you made sure that you're following the right steps when trying to use Spotify Connect?

2. Have you made sure that your speaker's firmware is up to date? 

3. Does a clean reinstall help at all?

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Thank you James for reaching out.

I have followed all of your suggestions (couldn't find a firmware update though), no success. 

Honestly, I'm a bit confused if the device is compatible at all, considering that there is (or at least I found) no way to log into Spofiy on the Aura, which is the prerequisite for Spotify Connect to work.

In contrast, the iOS client is recognized as soon as I open the app and syncs seamlessly with the desktop app, picks up the music instantly. A workaround at this stage would be to send the music picked up by the iPhone via Bluetooth or AirPlay, but that would drain the phone's battery and is by no means the desired user experience.  

I'm afraid I'll need to settle with the fact that the Harman Kardon Aura is not a supported device. I welcome any additional idea/suggestion. 🙂

Marked as solution

Hi there!

Now HK added the support for spotify connect to Aura with a new firmware (Released January 2016) https://www.harmankardon.com/software.html

Bad news are that i already updated firmware and still nothing is working with iphone app or desktop.

You're a legend, thank you! All works fine now - such a relief! 🙂

Have you tried going through the different "source" options on the HK? Do you have a paid Spotify subscription?

you are right, the problem was with free acc, now everything works

A pity it doesn't support scrobbling but let's be optimistic. 🙂

Hi, 

today a got my HK Aura. I download the firmware update and I tried it to install. I connect the USB device and pressed power&wifi button together. But the light just blinking and won't start moving.

Do you have a idea why?

regards

Daniel

Marked as solution

The manuel from HK is wrong. You have to start the update when the Aura is off!

Everything ist working now!

Could you please be more specific?

While it is turned off how do I start the update?

I press power + wifi while turned off with the USB installed and it just powers on.

I tried to upload the file and I get the message "Firmware Update download failed".

I was able to start the update only when the Aura was on, by pressing both buttons as the instructions said. Now I can see Aura on my Spotify connect list but there's no sound /:

As soon as I insert my USB stick, the buttons stop responding.

I was able to make mine work by updating it via WiFi/Bluetooth 🙂 Download the app to your mobile and connect to the speaker through it. There's an update option there. If not, try to to a factory reset (long press source and power button)

The upload through the embedded web server didn't work from my Macbook.

I did just get the update to work by formatting the USB with FAT16 rather than FAT32 as the instructions said.

i'm having the same problem... even airplay is not working... i can connect to airplay but no sound...

did you solve it??

It turned out that my Mac was not flashing the drive properly and adding files that the speaker didn't recognize. My solution was to format and save the file on the drive using Windows.

i did it on windows. but still not working

After flashing my Aura via usb, i could use spotify connect for 2 days. Then today, i am able to view the device in spotify connect list but cannot connect to it. What is going on? Help!!!

I'm on Android and I can't get both the Aura and my phone to work. AirPlay and Bluetooth works as it should, but not on Android phones. I can't see the Aura under the Devices page. Anyone having the same problem here? HELP!!!!!!

@Dan1888 wrote:
After flashing my Aura via usb, i could use spotify connect for 2 days. Then today, i am able to view the device in spotify connect list but cannot connect to it. What is going on? Help!!!

sometimes restart help...

Suggested posts