Apple TV 4k, tvOS 13.3
My issue is with the Spotify Connect visibility on an Apple TV.
Currently the Apple TV as a Spotify Connect destination is only visible (for example, from an iPhone) whenever the Apple TV Spotify app is open and displayed in the Apple TV. Whenever I open another app on the Apple TV (but Spotify is still running in the background), the Apple TV disappears as a valid Connect destination.
This behaviour is not consistent with Spotify Connect on other platforms. For example, Spotify Connect on a Mac (or Android, or iPhone) are always ready as valid destinations, even if the app does not have the focus on those systems.
What I request is that Apple TV Spotify Connect service always runs in the background while Spotify app is not closed, as happens on other systems. This would be the same as already happens with Airplay or Chromecast destinatiions, available as long as the device is on.
Steps to reproduce:
- Install Spotify on a source (iPhone for example)
- Install Spotify app on an Apple TV (let's call it "AppleTV"). We want to use the iPhone to send Spotify music to the Apple TV
- On the Apple TV, log in to Spotify. This creates an "AppleTV" Connect destination visible from the iPhone.
- On the iPhone open Spotify, select "AppleTV" from the devices menu and play any song. The music will start playing on the Apple TV, ok.
- Now go to the Apple TV, click on the Menu to go to the main desktop and open another app.
- Notice that the Apple TV Spotify app continues to run on the background and the iPhone-sent music continues to play on the Apple TV. This is ok.
- On the iPhone change the destination to "This iPhone", to temporarily stop the connection to the Apple TV.
- On the iPhone open again the devices menu and notice that "AppleTV" is no longer available as a Connect destination, even if the Apple TV Spotify app is running in the background.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I just found out you can use shortcuts on your iOS device to launch the Spotify app on Apple TV !!! My scenario is now:
Still looking to integrate step 2 in either step 1 or 3 but I do not have to turn on my projector and do not have to use airplay (which occasionally cuts out). That makes having the Spotify app on my Apple TV a real benefit
You can use an automation in the shortcut app on iOS to integrate step 2 into step 3. The trigger or event is that I launch Spotify on my iOS device, which then automatically launches Spotify on Apple TV as well, making it instantly available for Spotify connect! You can even have it ask you first if it should run. Result.