Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect on Apple TV - Make it always available as Airplay or Chromecast

Solved!

Spotify Connect on Apple TV - Make it always available as Airplay or Chromecast

Premium, Spain

Apple TV 4k, tvOS 13.3

My issue is with the Spotify Connect visibility on an Apple TV.

Currently the Apple TV as a Spotify Connect destination is only visible (for example, from an iPhone) whenever the Apple TV Spotify app is open and displayed in the Apple TV. Whenever I open another app on the Apple TV (but Spotify is still running in the background), the Apple TV disappears as a valid Connect destination.

This behaviour is not consistent with Spotify Connect on other platforms. For example, Spotify Connect on a Mac (or Android, or iPhone) are always ready as valid destinations, even if the app does not have the focus on those systems.

What I request is that Apple TV Spotify Connect service always runs in the background while Spotify app is not closed, as happens on other systems. This would be the same as already happens with Airplay or Chromecast destinatiions, available as long as the device is on.

Steps to reproduce:

- Install Spotify on a source (iPhone for example)

- Install Spotify app on an Apple TV (let's call it "AppleTV"). We want to use the iPhone to send Spotify music to the Apple TV

- On the Apple TV, log in to Spotify. This creates an "AppleTV" Connect destination visible from the iPhone.

- On the iPhone open Spotify, select "AppleTV" from the devices menu and play any song. The music will start playing on the Apple TV, ok.

- Now go to the Apple TV, click on the Menu to go to the main desktop and open another app.

- Notice that the Apple TV Spotify app continues to run on the background and the iPhone-sent music continues to play on the Apple TV. This is ok.

- On the iPhone change the destination to "This iPhone", to temporarily stop the connection to the Apple TV.

- On the iPhone open again the devices menu and notice that "AppleTV" is no longer available as a Connect destination, even if the Apple TV Spotify app is running in the background.

21 Replies

it's working now, took me a while to understand :
1) the trigger is self explanatory, pick Spotify, pick is opened
2) the action: pick apps, pick Apple TV remote, pick open app on Apple TV
3)select and hold the "Apple TV" words on the action to select your Apple TV
4)select and hold the word "app" to be able to choose Spotify on the list of TV Apps

Hi there @matou2,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

We're really glad to hear that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts