Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect on Echo Dot stutters, choppy.

Spotify Connect on Echo Dot stutters, choppy.

Alrighty, so here is my issue. 
I use my Echo Dot often as a speaker for Spotify, and last week I began to notice stuttering when it would play songs. It has since gotten way worse, as the song cuts out constantly-it's gotten quite infuriating. 
The Echo can answer anything else without failure or cutting out- and it appears this is an issue with other users and has been in the past.

Anyone else having this issue? 

35 Replies

@Checkers_ wrote:

Having the same issue whilst at university on a 100Mbps connection, also on an echo dot V2. Interestingly no issues when I took it home to my 20Mbps. Signal strength is fine, powered by the same stock power supply both times. 

Using a BT home hub 5 router at university and BT whole home at home. Home hub 5 has been problematic with a couple of other devices in the past, what routers are other people using? 

My router is Asus RT-AC3200.

@gibbat wrote:

i took that „problematic“ dot v2 just for fun for a trip to france and added it there during new years eve party - the isp line there was max 10-16mbits - dot v2 was connected like at home with aux to an amp and guess what?

no stutterings during 3 days power usage with spotify - wondering what could be the difference. as told i have now dot v3 in same place at home with same wifi etc and no stutterings. 

additionally said : i used another power supply (non amazon one) for the dot v2 during my trip. perhaps the amazon power supply starts to mess around which causing the stuttering? just to focus on all aspects , anyone already tested with other power supplies?

Good question about the power supply: I tested with different USB power supplies: the original for Echo Dot V1  and the original for Echo Dot V2. The issues persist with Echo Dot V2 and Spotify playback studdering.

Maybe other people in this thread could also test out different power supplies?

I have (hopfully had) the same problem. 

I tested almost everything, 

- changed power suppply and cable: no luck

- changed router: no luck

- changed wifi to 5GHz: no luck

- used my separated and secured wifi network (mostly used by chinese IOT cloud devices): no luck

- factory reset: no luck

- unlinkspotify->factoryreset->relink: no luck

until I found one of my old hacked Asus router in garage with special custom tomato firmware. I connected my echo dot2 to this AccessPoint, and started to debug:

- First I tried to change the wifi security WPA2,WPA,WEP,OPEN: no luck Now I leaved in open auth with MAC filter (only the echo dot2 using this AP)

- There is a realtime traffic monitor in this firmware, where I realized how is working the spotify player. When the echodot starts to play a track, its load the whole track into the memory with the maximum bandwith. In my case there was ~20Mbit for a few seconds, and when its finished, went to sleep. Next track starts, burned again the wifi, and again sleep. I thought maybe there will be better when I remove theese peaks somehow. I have found some special wifi settings with maximum TX rate. The default settings for this TX rate was AUTO, which means the AP automatically set the transmit rate between 1 and 54 mbit (its an old router) depends on the distances and noises Idonno. I changed it to fixed 1MBit (the slowest value). Now there is no big peaks in the traffic, and the maximum download is around 500kBit/s, and it takes for the echodort almost 1 minute to cache the whole track. I have another wifi networks in my house, I used the MAC filter (block client) to prevent the echodot for connecting to one of my another high speed wifi.

I've been using it for 1 day without ANY problems 🙂

Ohh, and sorry for my english... 🙂

Still zero problems, no lag, no choppy sound. 

I think I solved the problem

Interesting fix but unfortunately not very practopra for most people. Hoping Spotify/Amazon address this soon. 

This problem almost one year old, so I don't think spotify/amazon will resolve this. 

You have to buy a dot3 to solve the problem... or use my solution... 😉

@czandor wrote:

This problem almost one year old, so I don't think spotify/amazon will resolve this. 

You have to buy a dot3 to solve the problem... or use my solution... 😉

Thanks for sharing the results of your efforts!!

This does not solve my problem. I am on the latest firmware, and my device is right next to the router. This has always worked until a few weeks ago.

The high speed is the problem. You have to lower the internet/wifi speed. 

@Guido 

How to get escalate this issue to the right people? As you can see from this thread many people are having this issue with Spotify on Echo Dot. Your help in getting this looked at and resolved would be greatly appreciated by me and the other people on this thread. 

Thanks, looking forward to your response.

1.: You need some IT skill, or somebody who have. 

2.: Old wifi router or access point from your junk drawer (you have it when you have IT skill)

3.: Follow my instructions from my previous post

It is not worth the action if you have to pay for one of these.

How has this not been solved yet??

Its absolutly ridiculous. I ended up having to buy an Echo Input to get around it. Works fine on there. Just doesn't seem to likle the Echo Dot v2 !!!! 

And that's why it won't be fixed if it's an amazon issue. Amazon make money from it. 

Well unfortunatly I've waited 3-4 months for it to be fixed, and it hasn't. I've about had it! I've put in multiple complaints to Amazon and Spotify about it and nothing .  If I didn't hate the Google one so much I would have got rid of it and moved over to that 😉

Unfortunately, there are only two solutions.

Either you buy another type of Echo or apply My solution

Suggested posts