Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect randomly stops playing with Yamaha WXC-50 MusicCast

Spotify Connect randomly stops playing with Yamaha WXC-50 MusicCast

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Iphone 7

Operating System

(iOS 13)

Hello,

I am having some trouble using Spotify Connect with my Yamaha WXC-50 and MusicCast.  I've been experiencing dropouts in the audio and random disconnecting up till the point where it's unusable.

The firmware on the receiver is up to date and the apps on my phone and ipod were just installed for the first time yesterday. I'm only experiencing this problem using Spotify Connect on the Yamaha WXC-50 and not when I stream to my phone or computer. The WXC-50 is connecting to my router with a wire so it's not a wifi issue either.

I have been going through posts on here from people that had the same problem, it seems like quite a lot of people have this problem, but I couldn't find a solution.

I hope someone has the solution it's been quite frustrating, thanks in advance.

8 Replies

We are having the same issues with the WXC-50 and Spotify Connect. My husband has an iPhone 8 (iOS 13) and I have an Note 10 Plus (Android version 10). Both devices play one or two tracks then stop. Our WXC-50 is connected via ethernet and has the latest firmware. Additionally, we have a Yamaha RX-V485 receiver which we have tested and plays through Spotify Connect without issue.  We would really appreciate any advice as we have run out of ideas to correct this. Thank you!

Same here on Yamaha R-N602 amp.

If I play an album via the windows client, it often plays the first track then moves on to the second but in the client, the trackname doesn't update. It still thinks it's playing track 1.

It'll play a few tracks and then stop. If it plays three tracks in a row, chances are it will scrobble the first track three times.

It's only been doing this for a few days, before that it was fine. Client is up to date, as is amp firmware. Everything's been rebooted too.

Hey folks,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Keep in mind that not all devices officially support Spotify Connect. You can use this page to check whether or not that's the case for your devices. If you're unable to find them, this means that even they're visible via Connect, issues with the playback are expected behavior. 

If you're devices are officially supported, it's possible that some of the apps files have gotten damaged and are interfering with Connect. This is usually resolved by performing a clean reinstall. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this here. If that doesn't solve things, it's a good idea to restart your router and check for any network restrictions that might be active for your devices.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

When this happens, are you still able to stream internet radio? I have this same kind of Spotify connect problem, and when it happens also the internet radio stream stops working. Despite of this I'm able to control the WXC-50 unit from the MusicCast app which indicates the problem seems to be with the connection to the Internet and not to the network itself.

Theeasiest solution has been to detach the network cable from the router and insert it in another jack. This usually fixes the problem immediately.

Could it be a problem with the router blocking some necessary ports? Any suggestions on how to fix this permanently?

When this happened everything else worked fine. The problem cleared up
about a week after posting this. I assume either Spotify or yamaha fixed
something but I never got any confirmation. Problem has not reocurred since.

I have the same problem on a Yamaha RXV amp. It is linked to Spotify only: internet Radio always plays fine. Network also is good. 

Spotify also plays fine on a Smartphone or PC. The only thing that hangs is the amp playing Spotify.

When the error occurs i can skip to the next track and it works again for a random number of songs.

AMP officially supports Spotify. I am a paying Spotify customer since 2+ years. 

When I had this problem it cleared up on It's own shortly after I complained about out it. Spotify support is useless so if you haven't  already tried, Yamaha support will get back to you at some point. Make sure your receiver is running latest firmware. The only other thing I can think of is are you connecting Spotify to the receiver through another device like a smartphone? I run Spotify on an android smartphone which I use to control my Yamaha receiver. Spotify doesn't need musccast to work. It connects directly with Yamaha via Spotify Connect. Generally, this arrangement works flawlessly. The only time I have problems is when my smartphone stays connected to a slower wifi access point for my basement. All I have to do is change to the faster wifi for whatever room I'm in  and then it works fine. The only other thing you can try is use the free version of pandora or trial other products that musiccast supports and see if they have a similar problem or not.

One trick that I’ve discovered is that after starting music on Spotify on my phone and selecting the Yamaha device to stream Spotify directly to, I then close Spotify on my device. On iPhone I swipe up and close it in the background. I have found if I leave Spotify in the background on my phone, the music stops after a random amount of time. But if I close it completely, my Yamaha will keep streaming music all day non-stop!

Suggested posts