Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect reliability vs Google Cast. Please explain why Connect Doesn't Connect.

Spotify Connect reliability vs Google Cast. Please explain why Connect Doesn't Connect.

Open Question: "Why is Spotify Connect unreliable?"

I say that the feature/protocol is unreliable as I have:

• Used multiple mobile devices and the desktop app to control Spotify over a period of over a year.
  • Updated all my devices regularly to the latest firmware.
  • Used a wired connection instead of wireless, with a very fast broadband connection.
  • Streamed to Chromecast Audio, as well as Pioneer, Yamaha and Sony AV receivers.
  • Experienced regular connection issues, often requiring the power cycling of AV receivers and re-launching of the Spotify app before a connection could be achieved.
  • Experienced regular issues when the mobile device was convinced I was playing a completely different track than the one coming out of my speakers.

My experience with this is frustrating; I use Spotify because I like the music selection but the technology frequently interrupts my listening enjoyment. 

I am looking for a detailed and full technical explanation of these errors. Don't tell me to reset my devices or re-install/update software. I have worked in IT for 10+ years and I know what TCP, RTMP and Ethernet are. I can read RFCs if I get stuck. Just please explain what your streaming protocol is doing and why it fails to negotiate so often.

4 Replies

I am aggravated also and the only thing Spotify customer service is good for is telling me to reset all my devices .

My only Spotify Connect device is also a chromecast audio endpoint, I'm
tempted waiting to see if I can use chromecast mode instead of Spotify
connect. A short while ago the Spotify android app showed that Spotify
Connect device as its chromecast personality but it vanished shortly after.

Hopefully we will be able to decide which protocol to use in future.

Sad to say the issues exist when streaming over Chromecast vs Spotify Connect as well.

Unfortunately looking through these threads on this site dating back to 2016, the only advice ever given is reset/reinstall and never an actual solution that works.

I have the same issues with spotify connect, like if my speakers are faulty for the sound, but in chromecast is better sound overall. 

Suggested posts