Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect with Amazon Echo or Google Home, but using third-party speaker

Spotify Connect with Amazon Echo or Google Home, but using third-party speaker

I understand you can tell Alexa to play something on Spotify, and the Echo will play it via Connect. Probably the same feature is coming to Google Home when it is released.

Yet I would have a different use case. I would love to use Echo or Home just like the (Spotify) iOS app, so the device should not play back the music itself, only manage a connected speaker via Connect only this time using voice instructions.

I don't think this is possible with Echo now, or is it? Is it coming anytime soon? Would it be possible after a software update, or with the current generation of hardware (incl strong expectations about what Google Home will have), I could never expect to access this functionality?

Thanks!

16 Replies

I would also like to see this function added.

Alexa to control playback of Spotify Connect through my third party speaker.

Hope this can be achieved soon!

I agree. I would love to be able to stream music from an Echo or G Home device directly to Spotify Connect compatible speakers.

Would really love this as well.. i just bought an echo believing this was possible 😞

I just purchased Google Home as well and was hoping to see this type of feature supported. Trusting that it is totally doable, but will just take some time. Fingers crossed.

I really hope something like that is planned!
I use 4 connected allplay speakers at home for Spotify. Using alexa to control them via connect would be perfect.
And I would guess it would be no bigger deal
alexa play jazz in the livingroom.
Please add that! It will be a big time advantage of Spotify over Amazon music!
Besides Sonos is coming soon to play with alexa.

Have this been answered or resolved? I like this option too. To trigger my marantz receiver from a voice command either from google home or echo since spotify are supported on both.

This really is a must have,  I have a musaic system with Spotify connect and I patiently wait for -

Play x on device.  

Whats the timeline line for this,  without it the Alexa intergration is terrible.

William

Any news on that subject? I just bought Google Home, thinking I could use it with spotify connect, but now it can only play music on the speaker itself! Please add spotify connect function so we can use Google Home to play music on the speakers un each room (and not on the small Google Home speaker)

I gave up on this issue.

Sold all my Allplay equipment and Echo Dots and switched to google home and chromecast audio.

New downside though. I cannot start music on the Windows app on the speakers...

It never gets boring with Spotify ...

I just bought a Google Home Mini mainly for this particular reason. Now I am a little disappointed 😞

I really hope someone at Spotify reads this, because that's a really useful feature, especially because now more and more people are going to have a Google Assistant or Alexa enabled speaker. And I guess it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

And if anyone has found a workaround to this problem, please reply. That would mean alot to me. 

This would be the main reason to buy such a voice controlled device. Why would I abandon my hifi for such a crappy speaker otherwise?

As long as i cannot use that feature, i will not buy google home or amazon echo

I can play music from Google Home Mini via Spotify to my Denon Ceol amplifer and subsequently to the speakers. Had to use a stereo phono to stereo mini jack to connect it to Denon Analogue In. The only problem is that when I had it connected through the network Spotfiy woke up the Denon whereas I have to wake it up manually at the moment. Hope that is some use? 

i will never never never ever connect a "spotify connect" enabled device via a cable and aux. 

I have connected the Chromecast Audio to Analogue in. I want it to do what
Spotify Connect does and bring the Denon out of sleep. Just chatted to
Google and they say that Chromecast does this but not Chromecast audio.
Hopefully it will be added soon.

It does work well with my Denon but I have to stop the Denon sleeping. I can just say to the Google Mini after the obligatory OK Google either play a radio programme or Spotify on the Lounge Speaker and it works fine.

Suggested posts