Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect with Marantz Receiver (works without being on the same WIFI)

Solved!

Spotify Connect with Marantz Receiver (works without being on the same WIFI)

Hi,

I'm using Spotify Connect with Marantz Receiver (NR1609). I use my mobile phone to manage Spotify devices. Currently there are 3 connected devices: Phone, PC, Receiver. 
When I play music on my Mobile phone, it sometimes play it on the receiver (this is due to that the selected device is the receiver). The problem is that it happens even if the Phone and the Receiver are NOT on the same network - I duplicated the problem by using my phone with mobile data only (WIFI is OFF).
I expect that the Receiver will play music only if it's on the same WIFI as the phone. It will prevent the receiver from operating while I'm not around. 
Appreciate your Assistance!

Kobi

Plan

Premium

Country

Israel

Device

Receiver - Marantz NR1609

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @KobiMarantz1609,

Thanks for your reply.

You can try switching on the Show local devices only setting. This means your app won't try to find nearby devices that aren’t on the same internet connection as you.

Here's how:

1. Tap Your Library.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Devices.
  4. Switch on Show local devices only and try Connect again.

However, as @Jemi said before, the reason why you can connect to the receiver without being connected to the same network is most likely because it was the last device you were connected to. 

Try to restart your device and see if it does the trick. If it doesn't, check the steps above 🙂

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey Kobi, help's here. 

We understand your concerns regarding the connection to your receiver, but we can assure you that not anyone can connect to it using Spotify connect. The reason why you can connect to the receiver without being connected to the same network is most likely because it was the last device you were connected to. The Connect feature makes sure that the last session is saved, so that you can connect to the device without being on the same network. A simple restart of the device should solve it. 

For anyone wanting to connect to your speaker for the first time, they need to be connected to the same WiFi network. 

Hope that helps!

Hi Jemi,

Thanks for your reply!

I would like to reiterate the problem by giving an example: When I'm not at home, listening to Spotify via mobile network I can trigger and power on my home receiver. This is definetly not a desired behaviour...

Thanks again!

Kobi.

Marked as solution

Hey @KobiMarantz1609,

Thanks for your reply.

You can try switching on the Show local devices only setting. This means your app won't try to find nearby devices that aren’t on the same internet connection as you.

Here's how:

1. Tap Your Library.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Devices.
  4. Switch on Show local devices only and try Connect again.

However, as @Jemi said before, the reason why you can connect to the receiver without being connected to the same network is most likely because it was the last device you were connected to. 

Try to restart your device and see if it does the trick. If it doesn't, check the steps above 🙂

Have a nice day.

I HOPE I AM WRONG, BUT THIS IS BAD.

ANY SPOTIFY USER WHO HAS EVER ACCESSED MY SPOTIFY CONNECT CAPABLE SPEAKER / EQUIPMENT / PLAYBACK DEVICE CAN HIJACK IT AT ANY TIME FROM ANYWHERE.

THIS ISN’T JUST THOUGHTLESS DESIGN, THIS IS IRRESPONSIBLE.

I hope I’m wrong.  There appears to be no way to revoke remote control of a Spotify Connect playback device / speaker / stereo / etc without being able to access the app / account on the phone / computer / etc that has previously accessed the equipment and played content through it.

Any Spotify user who joins my Wi-Fi network can discover and connect to my equipment and play music through it, whether I want them to or not.  I can’t limit speaker remote control access only to my phone or computer, or specific ones that I choose.  That is BAD.

Furthermore, even after they leave my Wi-Fi network, from anywhere in the world, they can turn my equipment on and play any content they want at any time, at any volume.  They can even interrupt what I am currently listening to, take over my equipment, and blast anything they want into my space.  They can play objectionable content to children, they can wake me and my neighbors in the middle of the night, they can play at excessive volumes and blow out my equipment.  That is WORSE.

THIS IS A HUGE SECURITY HOLE IN SPOTIFY CONNECT THAT NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED IMMEDIATELY.

I can completely disconnect my equipment from the network but then I lose all functionality.  My equipment allows me to disable remote access when the unit is in Standby / Off mode, but that doesn’t stop it from being hijacked when it is on and being used (most of the time).

HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHICH SPECIFIC SPOTIFY USERS HAVE THE ABILITY TO HIJACK MY EQUIPMENT AND HOW CAN I SELECTIVELY REVOKE ACCESS, PREVENTING UNWANTED USERS FROM ACCESSING MY EQUIPMENT BEHIND MY FIREWALL ON MY PRIVATE NETWORK VIA SPOTIFY’S UNSECURED NETWORK SERVICES??!!

HOW CAN I DISABLE ACCESS TO SPOTIFY CONNECT ON THIS EQUIPMENT UNTIL THIS MAJOR SECURITY PROBLEM IS CORRECTED??!!

Hey there @elance,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here in the Community!

If you've last connected to a speaker or other device using Connect, it might show up in the Spotify Connect picker - however it shouldn't be showing up anymore when you haven't been connected to the same network for a while.

We'd also recommend taking a look at this support site article to find more info about protecting your account

On another note, if you have any suggestions regarding Spotify Connect, we'd recommend sharing them in our Idea exchange where other Spotify users can add their support and feedback. To find more on how these ideas can get implemented, make sure to take a look at this Spotify Answer.

We hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

This has just happened to me this morning....not good at all
full volume came through my speakers VIA Spotify while I was watching TV
I switched back to tv and 10mins later it happened again
I had this showcased to me 2 years ago by a friend and I think it is him but I can't contact him as he has moved home
This needs sorting out!!!!!

It takes more security to log into this forum and post this message than it does to hijack someone’s equipment remotely.  How embarrassing for Spotify.

this has nothing to do with the security of my account and you know it.  Anyone who gains access can hijack my equipment using their own account and there is no way to even detect who is doing it.  VERY BAD.

A coffee shop owner, a person who had houseguests, a person who kicked out their partner, a VRBO owner, all have legitimate reasons for sharing their Wi-Fi, and later denying access.  BUT YOUR SOFTWARE SECURITY HOLE BYPASSES YOUR CUSTOMERS FIREWALLS AGAINST THEIR WISHES, WITH COMPLETELY UNSECURED NETWORK ACCESS TO THEIR HOME ELECTRONICS.

i don’t know why this is a customer service whitewash.  It should be a profuse apology and a thank you for bringing this to your attention, followed by an immediate software fix.

I have tested this days, even weeks after leaving the Wi-Fi.  So no, what you say is false. The option does not disappear from the device list eventually.  Even minutes is too long, anyway..  Access should be controllable within the Wi-Fi network, restricted to chosen people outside the firewall, and immediately revocable.

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SOLVE THIS GIGANTIC SECURITY HOLE.  IT IS YOUR SOFTWARE, YOU FIX IT.

A friend of mine who has not been to my house in months was able to send music to my Marantz receiver yesterday. It was so loud I thought my speakers would blow out. Please fix this security hole. I need to be able to restrict/revoke access to my receiver.

Hey @MENord,

Thanks for reaching on the Community!

It is not impossible for such a thing to happen if your receiver was the last device your friend actually connected to via his account.  You can try restarting your receiver and your router, so the network settings are refreshed and this way your receiver will also be forced to reconnect to the network.

You can try asking your friend also to switch on the Show local devices only setting for his account. This means his app won't try to find devices that aren’t on the same internet connection as his.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts