Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Does Not Work on Samsung Galaxy Active 2 Watch

Solved!

Spotify Does Not Work on Samsung Galaxy Active 2 Watch

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy Active 2 Watch

Operating System

Tizen

My Question or Issue

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Active 2 Watch.  I installed Spotify on it from the Samsung store.  Since I already had it installed on my old Samsung Gear S3 watch, I figured this wouldn't be a problem.  I signed out of the Gear S3, and tried starting the Spotify on the Galaxy Active 2, but for some reason, after it says "Get Started" and I accept the permissions, it just goes to a black screen that says "Connect to Bluetooth to use Spotify".  The watch is connected to my Samsung S10 phone via Bluetooth. Everything else works, but Spotify just gives me this message, there's no way to change it.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I've tried rebooting both the phone and watch, I've tried going to standalone on my watch with just wifi and the phone off, and it's always the same message.  Is the app broken?  Or am I doing something wrong?  

Thank you!!!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just purchased the Samsung Galaxy watch active 2 a couple weeks ago and ran into the same issue. Here's how I resolved the problem.

Step 1: Open your spotify app and proceed to your settings ( Gear Icon at the upper right corner.)

Step 2: Scroll down to the devices section. Tap on "Connect to a device."

Step 3: If you see your watch on the list, Tap on it to remove it. (Your app should now show that you are listening on your 'this' phone.)

*Note: Remove the watch device from the spotify app but not your phone settings. Your watch should still be Connected to your phone via blue tooth.

Now open the spotify app on your s2 active watch and tap to refresh.

Voila.

I hope this works well for you as it did for me.

Ciao.

-solo

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I'm having the same issue. Galaxy watch Active2 with Galaxy Note 10.

Please reply if you eventually find a resolution.

What worked for me was resetting the watch to factory, connecting it to my phone, NOT UPDATING ANYTHING, launching Spotify on the watch and signing in.  It worked perfectly.  I didn't bother updating Spotify after that, still works great even on standalone mode.

Thanks! That worked for me

Awesome!  Glad I could help!

Marked as solution

Just purchased the Samsung Galaxy watch active 2 a couple weeks ago and ran into the same issue. Here's how I resolved the problem.

Step 1: Open your spotify app and proceed to your settings ( Gear Icon at the upper right corner.)

Step 2: Scroll down to the devices section. Tap on "Connect to a device."

Step 3: If you see your watch on the list, Tap on it to remove it. (Your app should now show that you are listening on your 'this' phone.)

*Note: Remove the watch device from the spotify app but not your phone settings. Your watch should still be Connected to your phone via blue tooth.

Now open the spotify app on your s2 active watch and tap to refresh.

Voila.

I hope this works well for you as it did for me.

Ciao.

-solo

My goodness thank you so much. Literally tried everything except that and I was frustrated for hours. I did the reset and made sure not to update Spotify in the Galaxy store and it works perfectly. DO NOT UPDATE SPOTIFY

It works even without the cell phone?

I mean with the cell phone but not close to the watch.

Well as long as you have an internet connection it should work but should you stay too far away from your phone it will switch to watch mode and unless your phone is tied in with a phone plan like I have it will cut off. The s2 has a toggle feature where you can change it from your phone to your watch itself. I find using the music app that comes standard with the watch works best. All you have to do is scroll to it. *make sure your watch is paired with your phone* hit "open on phone" and it will ask you what apps do you want to use for example (pandora, spotify etc..)

And that's it. Feel free to reply if you need further explanation.

None of this worked for me.  I've had this dumb watch for 2 weeks.  Last week, it worked perfectly fine - I recorded my workout and listened to Spotify.  Left my phone at home and used LTE on the watch with my Samsung earbuds.  Everything worked great.  Now, one week later, it's not working.  Spotify only works if I am near my phone.  If I leave the phone at home, Spotify won't work even though I have LTE.  I am so frustrated I'm about to send everything back.  Any suggestions?

I also got  a  problem, the Spotify  connection between  my  watch  and phone is bad. The title page of a song is frozen  while the music plays a different song. I can skip numbers but the title page stays the same and i cant pause songs. I need to grab my ipad to pause the song on my phone or i need to close the spotify  app on my phone. Ive had contact with samsung and we tried a lot of things. I even resetted my phone. But the problem came back when i first started spotify. I also connected my watch to my old huawei phone. Spotify  worked just fine on watch and phone. So the problem lies with my samsung galaxy a40. Samsung said i should post this here bcs they couldnt do anything about it. The only way to solve it is to restart my phone. But im tired of restarting my phone 5 times a day. Pls help me out

I had the same issue - when you open the Spotify app on your watch and it says connect to Bluetooth, just double click on it and you will then see two options, one of them is 'standalone', once you select it, it will load and then it will give you a code to pair your watch with your Spotify account directly rather than through your phone. Just follow the instructions, it will take a few minutes for your watch to load it after you paired it through your Spotify, so just give it a little time. I hope this works!!

I have the same issue with my Samsung Active 2 watch. Never had a problem with Spotify. As soon as I connected the watch and used it as a remote to change songs it started freezing the current song. Even with an app restart. I have cleared cache, data and done an app reinstall. So I just tried this and paired the watch to spotify for standalone play. Once I did this if I choose play on the watch it plays through my watch speaker. And the phone is still showing a different song. Between my phone and watch spotify is the sticking point. And spotify didn't cost me hundreds of dollars so if something needs changed it won't be equipment. 

In order for Spotify to update the version of the app for the Samsung Active 2 Smartwatch, it is necessary to get 100 votes in the Spotify developer community, leave your vote on the link (community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Spotify-app-on-Galaxy-Active-2-watch-stopped-working-after/i...) and help win 100 votes.

I recently bought a Galaxy Active 2 as well and I was able to utilize Spotify on there normally (using a free account, I was able to change the playlis  and shuffle or repeat a playlist) My watch recently started to ask to Log In from my phone, which I did and it worked. Somehow it logged me back out and when I tried to, it told me it was now a premium feature even though it was working well without premiom before. Was there some type of update on this? I did try what was suggested but I didn't see anything that could pair my watch to my Spotify account. 

Suggested posts