Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify On Chromebook!!

Spotify On Chromebook!!

Hi there!

I had downloaded the Spotify Web Player app on my Acer Chromebook, and it's been working perfectly for the past few months.

Just yesterday, I was opening the app to listen to some music, when suddenly, it looked like it had updated completely! It was a really cool look to it, so I tried to play a song using it in the new format, but it said that something was wrong with the playback. So there was a button that said "Install App" and there was an option to install the chromebook version. I did so, and it went back to normal. This morning I opened it and it was back to the normal way, but then I closed it about an hour later, and just now tried opening it, and it's back to the updated way that won't work! It's a little frustrated as I like it better having an app than having to manually go on it on Chrome. 

Is there a way to fix this? It's very frustrating! Thanks!! 🙂 

22 Replies

I have pretty much the same problem (on a Pixel Chromebook).   New web app looks very cool but is extremely buggy (it keeps freezing and I have to quit and restart it).  

Also, there is no longer a Radio option, which was my favorite Spotify feature.      

I'm guessing that the web App is low priority for the Spotify team since so many installable Apps have been built, but it's very disappointing after I've been a Premium user for years.   

I've been having the same problem with my Spotify app on Chromebook. Ever since this update, I've also been having trouble connecting my last.fm account. 

same.. mine says to download this app..   its annoying me 

Spotify, get your $#!+ together. I'm not schooled in computer programming but I'd be happy if Chromebook users could just access the "regular" webplayer as opposed to whatever the heck we are currently seeing on Chromebooks.

On my Chromebook there is no way to access the spotify settings menu or radio and the music doesn't play when I hit play.  I have to listen to Spotify using my phone because the Chromebook app is not working.  Adding a song to a playlist isn't easy either.  The three dots that would normally open a song menu to add it to a playlist doesn't work either.  Sometimes for some reason when I hit play on on my Chromebook music will start playing on my phone.  That is not where I want my music to play.  Please fix this soon or tell me how to fix it Spotify.  Premium is seeming less worthwhile by the day.  

It's Wrong, it's not spotify it's just a little of spotify, you can't have the real spotify on chromebook yet.. maybe someday 

I am using the app on new 2017 samsung chromebook pro and all systems go, so far!  I only wish chromebook would should me how much hard drive storage Spotify is using for my "offline" files.  😕  

Under Spotify downloads there is an option for Chrome - after logging it it says "install app"  - that just takes you back to the download page. So why does it say download app when all it appears to be is the webplayer?

I hate when it says download the app while i am on my chromebook then when i go to download it and i click on the chromebook option and it just goes to the web player it is very misleading

exactly, why would they do that? And when will they actually have the actual app

yeah, mine has been really buggy lately with the adds. Normally I don't mind the ads that pop up at the bottom of the screen, but lately, they have been videos and it is really buggy when it is trying to load them. When I have tried to play a playlist I press the button and nothing happens, I have been having to completely reload the app and restart it again just to get it to work. I thought it was my wifi but it seems to just be the app. 

mine is buggy too i am sick of it pausing in the middle of a song

mine does that all the time! It's really annoying. 

I was able to get this to work after updating Chromium on my old Acer Chromebook and restarting.  I discovered that I was using an old 2014 build, but I was able to upgrade via the "Help -> About" screen. My ChromeOS build number is now 53.0.2785.154.  

Hey I was just wondering where you found the "help" button. Thanks.

same here had difficulty finding it. 

I have an older Chromebook here at work, and there's a little hamburger menu (i.e. three horizontal lines) to the far right of the URL bar.  When I click on that, there's a "Help and about" menu item in the menu, and there's an "About Chome OS" menu item within that submenu.  This brings up a page with a button that says "Check for and apply updates."  

The naming of these men items seems to be slightly different between versions of Chrome.

I cant even download it when i click chromebook it just takes to me to webstore.

I think the Google play app is broken or abandoned for Chromebook.  I could only get the web version working....

Suggested posts