Country

UK

Device

Desktops

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

Hey,

So a while ago, in my office a bunch of us noticed that the player in slack is no longer connected to the account logged into the spotify client installed onto your computer. What this means is that if you are playing a song in the client, and then play a song from within slack, it isnt aware that im logged in so it plays a preview SUPER loud and over the top of whatever im playing in the client already.

I am logged into spotify in the client and in all the browsers on my computer. If i click the Login button that appears in slack, it opens chrome and start playing in the web player with me logged in.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Spotify-amp-Slack/td-p/1736291

I have read this post where they appear to have the same problem but I have re-installed and updated many times and it has neither fixed it for me or many of my collegues. 

We like to share music and previously you could just press play in slack and it would play straight from the client and respect the volume level set up and not play a preview. Now we have to click the url to open chrome, to then press play to then close the chrome tab as it will now play through the Spotify client.

Is there anything else I can do other than re-installing spotify that might make this work? 

Cheers,

Aaron.

3 Replies

Hey @0x539, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouhle with this. We'll do our best to help out though 🙂 

When you reinstalled, did you follow the exact steps listed here? Also, if you haven't already done so, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies to see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Hey,

I have tried following those instructions and have now installed spotify through the windows market place but unfortunately the problem persists.

I have also tried clearing browser cache and that also didnt work.

A work around we are using at the moment is to copy the "Spotify URI" and paste that into slack. The player that appears still plays over whatever implaying in the client (at twice the volume i might add) but if you click the link directly you are taken to the song inside the client.

I am experiencing something similar! I used to be able to click play in slack (on Windows desktop) and it would automatically start playing from my personal Spotify (which is the prefered way). But now when I click play in slack, it opens Spotify web version - even though I have Spotify Desktop running.

Suggested posts