Premium

Country

USA

Device

Spotify Web Player AND Android App

Operating System

Acer Chromebook 15

My Question or Issue

Despite changing some flags settings on Chrome, clearing cookies and caches, Spotify continues to pause *every* song at 9 seconds before resuming play. This has been marked as "Solved" in other threads but it hasn't actually. One user - NOT a Spotify employee of any kind - suggested the flags to help with the problem. It helped me for a few weeks before the issue resumed.

It would be nice if this was an issue that Spotify would actually look into and truly work on solving. I've been a Spotify user since it was in beta in the US but honestly, this is almost enough to make me switch platforms. It's a small thing but it's wildly irritating.

• WP
45 Replies

Claymobil
Music Fan

It only happens with the web player indeed. The account on the app works but on this machine this isntallation is not possible, I even have sometimes an error like in the attached file.

EDIT: I also tried in incognito mode and the 9 seconds stop is also there.

2021-02-03 17_11_19-srv-dc - Connexion Bureau à distance.png

CarlosE

Hey @Claymobil,

Thanks for the extra info.

Could you try the solution mentioned on this thread? It seems to have worked for some other users too.

Let us know if it does the trick.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

CarlosE

Hi @Claymobil,

Thanks for bearing with us.

Can you let us know the make, model and OS version of the computer where you're having this issue? We'd also like to know the version of the browsers you've tried.

Also and if possible, could you try with a different computer using the same network and let us know how it works?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

rozcietrzewiacz

I've had the same. Experimented with chrome flags similar to those mentioned here and it worked for some time, then came back...

So I went to chrome://flags and started experimenting again. ATM it works again, so I'm sharing the flags I used:

Screenshot from 2021-03-11 16-15-03.png

Claymobil
Music Fan

Hello,

I tried yesterday to change those flags and it seems that it's not better yet. but thanks for the tips 🙂

I emptied the cache once again, I tried several accounts and still no luck.

We whanged time last week end and it seems to be around the same time that the problem came back.

I also created a different virtual machine on a server to check with a different OS > same problem.

Alex

Hey folks,

thanks for the detailed info and the troubleshooting you're going through.

Can you let us know if you can try connecting to a different network and disabling any Firewall or other traffic management software that could be blocking Spotify.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

Claymobil
Music Fan

I checked and I don't have any firewall or Antivirus software installed on my computer.

I relaunched a new window with incognito and I will check if that's better.

the flags did not change anything also

clay-mobil
Casual Listener

I tried to play music in incognito mode > no change.

I rebooted everything connected in my house > no change.

I tried to renew my public IP adress > No change.

Apart from the tim change, there was nothing that has changed on my network

scottfours
Casual Listener

Experiencing the same glitch, pausing at 9 seconds. It happens on two different machines, two different networks, always with Chrome on Windows 10. 

Kind of ironic now that I stopped using the desktop app because it was too buggy.

Novy

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies. 

Could you send over a video where we can take a better look at this issue? 

You can attach it to your next response to us by using the Insert Video option in the post editor or you can send a link to it, just make sure to exclude any personal info from the video.

We'll be on the lookout. 

NovyModerator

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

clay-mobil
Casual Listener

I could not take a video but her is a screenshot with the paused song.

If i click next, the next song plays well but otherwise it stays that way

Paused.png

Novy

Hi @clay-mobil

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you try logging in to the web player using a different device and the same internet connection? 

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Claymobil
Music Fan

I did not have a computer at hand so I created a virtual machine to test i and I encounterred the same problem, but this time I had a pause at 9 seconds and 39 seconds. no idea why

I changed the network card to change the mac adress of the machine and no change

Claymobil
Music Fan

Hello,

Today  I tried on a different web  browser (the new edge) all seemed to be working but at one point, it also paused at 9 seconds.

If you could find a solution I would be reeeeally grateful ^^

thanks

Alex

@Claymobil,

Thanks for the info and your help in troubleshooting this.

Can you let us know if you can try creating a mobile hotspot from your phone and connect your computer to that one. This will help us determine if the issue is network related or related to any System administration software on your pc itself.

You can also try to enable Smooth Scrolling in Google chrome:

1. Open Google Chrome.

2. Copy and paste the link below into the address bar of Chrome, and press Enter.

chrome://flags/#smooth-scrolling

3. Select Enabled.

The Default setting has smooth scrolling enabled, but it could automatically disable smooth scrolling when you have too many tabs open or it could be manually done by your Administrator.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

Eni

Hi @scottfours,

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Could you let us know if the issue persist using the web player from an incognito window or a different browser?

Additionally, we suggest that you clear your cache and cookies in your browser and check if that makes the difference. 

Keep us posted 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

scottfours
Casual Listener

Cleared cookies, logged back in, issue reappeared an hour later. 3 different machines now, always on chrome, Win 10.

scottfours
Casual Listener

Using a different browser seems to resolve it for me. So this seems to be a chrome-webplayer issue. (also please get rid of the recaptcha, it works awfully and really discourages from submitting bug reports)

StevenO33
Visitor
i got the same issues. I can listen for like 2 hours and then it always stops at 9 seconds. I'm using Chrome Webplayer. I'm sure it's a recaptcha problem. I checked the network traffice once and the last calls before stopping were some calls associated with recaptcha. I will keep running the webplayer once again tomorrow and check this again.

csbubbles
Casual Listener

To moderators:

Do you think it might be worth merging this thread into https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Web-player-stops-after-playing-a-song-for-9-seconds/...

You could collect all the data at the only place, and better understand the actual impact.

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

As @csbubbles mentioned - we currently have an ongoing issue about this. We suggest that you head over there and leave the information that's being asked for. You can also leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂
SUGGESTED POSTS