Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify TV with Ambient Visuals. Ad revenue for content creators...

Spotify TV with Ambient Visuals. Ad revenue for content creators...

I have this idea that struck me the other day.

I was on the tail end of being stressed out and I was feeling euphoric. One of the things that I love to do when I am feeling like I need my space away from the world, is to somtimes dive deep into it, but as a watcher.

That night I went out for a drive and was listening to my spotify song list on shuffle while driving through my cityscape which is Edmonton, AB. Not a notable city really on the international level, but a city none the less that I have grown to enjoy.

I was reveling in how much I actually find it calming to drive around aimlessy with my cheap stick-shift car. My wireless headphones streaming my selection of music I had previously downloaded through the premium account.

If I were to pitch the visuals as something attractive I would relate it to, say the windows music visualizer, or even the christmas log channel (the one where it is just a video of a fire place).

Here is the very rough pilot I have on youtube, all the songs are the ones I have in my library and I only uploaded it to youtube to distibute as an idea not to gain any revenue, or likes, or whatnot.

https://youtu.be/1dpQZi2xsNY

I picture better video and better quality audio (the same audio being streamed from Spotify). I would of course need a better camera, and maybe more of them. Get some cool hollywood angles maybe. Showing the shifting. From the hood back to me the driver. From the fron quarter panel backwards and displaying what is going on behind the car. Plus the ability for the viewer to freely change between the angles, or set it to change at random (like in some video games).

If information is what people want, the option to display the gauge cluster and the GPS could be provided.

I feel this is the kind of experience I would put on my TV to help enjoy the music I am listening to. Like, passive or ambient visuals. Like, something to put on when you have people over. Like, something you would watch and sip a whiskey (or glass of wine) to by yourself at the end of the day.

As for the music, the default playlist would be my own. Would be what I am listening to at the time it is being streamed. But, tastes can differ and the option to choose other playlists, or genres, or radio channels could be selected.

As for ad revenue, an unskippable ad would be placed at the beginning. Maybe a constant bar at the bottom with ads that are not too abrasive in color or brightness could be continually displayed.

I really like the idea of live streaming the video, but an archive should be saved too, as an option.

An adless option could be offered for an extra charge for Spotify premium + TV, or something along those lines.

The content creator would take a privately discussed percentage of ad revenue.

As for varying content, well, it doesn't need to be driving. It could be walking through Rome or Tokyo. It could be people watching at a busy train station or airport. It could be watching the storm quickly roll in from the coast... to music.

It's an idea so simple that even to me it seems ridiculous to send this pitch somewhere and try and monetize it. Similar variations have been done countless times, but I believe there is an opportunity for some people to make money, including myself ( whilst doing something I truly enjoy). Also, I beleive, there is an opportunity for a large viewership to find new content to enjoy alongside with Spotify's extensive catologue.

Here's to something,

Zak

2 Replies

ur a fag

I thought about having visuals as well so I did a search and found your article. As I was reading it I was thinking am I understanding this correctly? I think it’s a pretty good idea. So dope! For the ads instead of having random ads I think a better option is to have the visuals be the ad itself. Set visual on a timer, On a timer and move on to the next visual. if the person wants to see it again they can choose to see it. At that we can ask them to subscribe for the service. During that visual you can selecto display a hud to find more info on the visual and therefore promoting their creations.

Suggested posts