Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Web Player dropped support of the last Firefox ESR (60.4.0esr (64-bit))

Solved!

Plan

Free

Country

Czech Republic

Device

Dell Latitude E7470

Operating System

Linux (Fedora 24, Firefox 60.4.0esr (64-bit))

My Question or Issue

I'm actually surprised that Spotify dropped support of latest Firefox ESR browser line.

I'd like to get this clarified whether this step is actually necessary.

This is the line I started seeing when goint to spotify web:

`This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player. Switch browsers or download Spotify for your desktop.`

To my humble opinion last Firefor ESR release should be always supported.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey!

Firefox ESR has a FAQ, which I'll quote:

Does Mozilla Firefox ESR work with any website?

Generally speaking, yes. However, it should be noted that some web applications including popular SaaS like G Suite and Office 365 only support the latest Firefox release. If your organization is using one of those applications, please consider deploying the latest release instead of ESR to meet the requirements.

It's quite possible the web player is one of such websites that support a later version of Firefox, for technical reasons brought out by the dev response I linked here earlier. 🙂

You can read the Firefox ESR FAQ here.

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi Folks

Can you try again now?  Firefox ESR 60.4.0 should be able to use the Web Player as long as it has the required module for listening to encrypted content.  If this module isn't present only the first ten seconds of every track will be playable and updating to the lastest Firefox version should fix it.

Cheers,
Dan

View solution in original post

30 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

(Desktop)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

I went to start web player and received this error in FireFox (Quantum, 64.4.0esr (32Bit)); "this browser doesn't support spotify web player".  I also tried it in IE and received the same error.  It does work in Chrome but I never use Chrome for anything.  Did you (Spotify) stop support for FireFox too? If so, why?

Same here. I'm using Firefox Quantum 64.0 (64-bit).

Same here on Linux, Firefox 64.0.2.

I made it work by spoofing browser User-Agent so Spotify thinks I use Chrome.

I hope they won't kill Firefox support, and this is just temporary error that will be resolved.

Also have this issue, but seems to have kicked in within the last hour (14:20gmt)

Getting the same issue on Internet explorer 11 as well.

Guys I can't download the app on my work computer, don't pull the web player on me 😞

I also have this issue.  Firefox is the only browser I can install on this work laptop, and I can't run the desktop app... this is the only reason I am paying for the service, so if I can't play Spotify at work I am going to have to cancel my subscription at the end of the month.

EDIT: I was able to get it to run by spoofing the Chrome user agent.  This means there's no compatibility issue, they are just cutting off Firefox for no reason... unbelievable.

If you don't know how to spoof the user-agent, the way to do it is to go to about:config and add a new string called general.useragent.override with the text string you want Firefox to send instead of the honest user-agent.

Hey, all 🙂

That's odd!
I'm able to load and use the web player perfectly fine. Using Firefox Beta (and before Nightly crashed, it worked fine there too).

I'd suggest checking if the web player will work when you try
1. deleting all your cookies + cache;
2. using the incognito mode
3. using the 'safe mode' - click on Help --> Restart with addons disabled
4. checking if the Widevine module is working. You can see its setting in about:preferences, under General tab. in about:plugins you can see its status (must be enabled).

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star

I have two pc with Linux and one of them has the same issue, which has Firefox 60.4.0 esr (Linux Mint Debian 2 - Betsy). On other one with Firefox 64.0 (Sparky Linux 5) everything is ok.

Hi Sebasty,

Running the incognito mode of 60.4.0esr does not work, however changing the user-agent to a Chrome user agent works with no issues.  Widevine is working just fine (as you can assume since Spotify runs as normal with a forged user-agent).

I assume there is a list of compatible user-agents in the Spotify application somewhere which has been broken in a recent update (this problem appeared for me yesterday, and was OK on Friday afternoon).

@locusts-of-chir

Thank you for your reply. 🙂

Edge is supported by the web player. Internet Explorer is not supported as far as I know.

You are all having this issue in your work environment? Can you check if this issue happens in another network or at home too?

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star

I am also having the same issue. Tried in different networks (home and work), tried in incognito mode, tried to clean cookies and history. Nothing works. I really need Spotify to run the Web Player on Firefox.

Same thing here. Also on 60.4.0esr (32-bit)

While I spoof User Agent to Windows/Firefox 64 it works fine.

Hope spotify aren't withdrawing support for the ESR familiy of Firefox browers...

Hey, all!

I ran over a computer with Firefox having the same message. I managed to solve this by clearing all browsing history.
1. Type about:preferences to address bar, hit Enter.

2. go to the Privacy & Security tab

3. Scroll to History. There's a button named "Clear History..."

4. In 'Time Range to clear' select 'Everything'

5. Select / mark all under History section (everything from browsing history to cache)
6. Click 'Clear now'. Restart Firefox.

It should work now.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Thanks for your suggestion. This didn't work for me unfortunately.

Just cleared history for all options (cookies, cache, active logins etc.) and for time range everything. Closed firefox completely and re-opened, still getting the same message 'This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player. Switch browsers or download Spotify for your desktop. '

As mentioned before, changing the User Agent to a later firefox and spotify works again without any issues.

So simply swapping User agent from

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 (won't load)

to

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0 (loads and works perfectly)

Just confirmed on the firefox site that 60.4.0esr is the latest release in the Extended Support Release family. It's current, maintained and supported and it's use is common place for user desktops in many corporations.

Like others here have already said I don't have unrestricted choice of browsers on my work machine so I hope spotify aren't blocking / restricting it and that this is just an oversight.

For anyone interested I used the 'Browser-Agent Switcher' addon available through firefox addons to swap between User Agent versions.

It did not work for me either. I hope Spotify is able to overcome this issue asap.

That's rather interesting!

Are you all using Firefox' Extended Support Release (such as 60.4.0esr)?

Could it help to create a new user profile for Firefox? Mozilla has a guide on how to do that right here.

For non-ESR release clearing the browsing history should help.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

I like your thinking, just created a fresh profile which opened a new (very bare!!) firefox session.

Unfortunately this profile too is getting the error and the normal spotify site doesn't load.

@oilí

Spotify.com does not load either? That's weird...
What error message does it show when you go to that webpage? 🙂

I'll ask around about Firefox ESR.

Let me know how things are going!

SebastySpotify Star

Hi @Sebasty 

I could have worded that better.

I was referring only to open.spotify.com

My home machine is running Firefox 64.0.2. When i visit open.spotify.com it works fine, when i set the User Agent to the details of the  ESR release and then try to access open.spotify.com It returns 'This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player.'

Hi Sebasty,

Yes, I am using Firefox 60.4.0esr. I created a new profile and keep getting the "This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player" message.

Suggested posts