Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Web Player dropped support of the last Firefox ESR (60.4.0esr (64-bit))

Solved!

Plan

Free

Country

Czech Republic

Device

Dell Latitude E7470

Operating System

Linux (Fedora 24, Firefox 60.4.0esr (64-bit))

My Question or Issue

I'm actually surprised that Spotify dropped support of latest Firefox ESR browser line.

I'd like to get this clarified whether this step is actually necessary.

This is the line I started seeing when goint to spotify web:

`This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player. Switch browsers or download Spotify for your desktop.`

To my humble opinion last Firefor ESR release should be always supported.

30 Replies

Hey, all!

I looked into this issue and got confirmation that Spotify doesn't support old versions of Firefox. Sorry about that!

In order to use the web player in Firefox ESR release, you will have to use an user agent spoofer. You can use Mozilla's own internal method of user agent spoofing, or you can use an addon which will remember on what site you want to use a different user agent, such as this one, or when you don't want to tinker with Firefox configuration (which can look daunting).

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

If I change user agent (addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-string-switcher/), message about not supported browser gone but if I choose song then player go forward 5 songs, play 10 seconds and stop. Very strange.

PS. Itry also other agent switcher but there is no difference.

That is very strange.

For me once I get onto the page with albums/playlists it just keeps working, for now at least...

@oilí

If it's possible to load the web player by going directly to Your Library, I suggest trying to go into Playlists section or Albums.

Edit: If you want to know why old browsers lose support / are not able to load the web player anymore, here's a Spotify developer's response.

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star

I decided to run Firefox from sources with latest stable version and now web player works good.

I've a premium plan and also firefox web player don't work.

This is really important for me because in my work computer I can't install desktop version and firefox is the supported browser!

I hope you will look into it.

Thanks

Marked as solution

Hey!

Firefox ESR has a FAQ, which I'll quote:

Does Mozilla Firefox ESR work with any website?

Generally speaking, yes. However, it should be noted that some web applications including popular SaaS like G Suite and Office 365 only support the latest Firefox release. If your organization is using one of those applications, please consider deploying the latest release instead of ESR to meet the requirements.

It's quite possible the web player is one of such websites that support a later version of Firefox, for technical reasons brought out by the dev response I linked here earlier. 🙂

You can read the Firefox ESR FAQ here.

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
Marked as solution

Hi Folks

Can you try again now?  Firefox ESR 60.4.0 should be able to use the Web Player as long as it has the required module for listening to encrypted content.  If this module isn't present only the first ten seconds of every track will be playable and updating to the lastest Firefox version should fix it.

Cheers,
Dan

I can confirm that Spotify Web Player is now functional using latest firefox-esr `60.5.0esr (64-bit)`. No other change is needed, just update the firefox ESR to latest.

Thanks for updates & fixes!

I recently started getting message "Spotify no longer supports this version of Firefox. Please update your browser for uninterrupted listening.", running latest ESR 60.8.0esr (32 bit)

I did manage to play the first song and then stopped instead of playing the second song, saying "Seamless playback not supported in this version of firefox"

Now I cannot play any songs anymore.

Sidenote: I ran into the isse with an old Firefox version. To play my songs I had to 1. Update Firefox (obviously), 2. Delete the Spotify cookies in Firefox.

Suggested posts