Lineup Signup
Hi! We're just rearranging some Desktop boards to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Please bear with us, and we'll be done very soon.
To post a new question or issue, please go here: Desktop (Windows), Desktop (Mac), Desktop (Linux), Web Player.

Spotify and alexa echo. song stop and start again

Re: Spotify and alexa echo. song stop and start again

JeffCT
Casual Listener

One of the issues with this forum (like many others) is that conversations take side-journies, and because these excursions don't create separate threads we end up with confusion and misunderstanding.   To the extend that I contributed to any of this confusion with my earlier comment, not realizing that I was actually responding to one of these sub-threads, I apologize.

SAPReApEr
Regular

2. I never bought a TP-Link, I had a rock solid D-LINK with GameFuel which I bought used, and I used it for 10 years, Rock solid connected to multiple AP(s).

Todays router, again I had to go through 3, and I went back to the original Netgear (blah) but it works decent now so I had a bad apple apparently.

4. When I had to move cubicals at work (up to a total of 5 times now going on 14 years, a cat 3 patch cable happened to be there from an old 10Mb or a phone and I used it to get connected.  Well it worked and stayed there until I moved cubicals again, though I may have used it for an HP jet direct towards the end. Idk it has been a while

SAPReApEr
Regular

Yep, back to the OP question. As i said earlier, I was sorry for my tangent but I was having (similar) issues which turned out to be a different issue apparently :)

Enjoy!

lockwoodg
Music Fan

Jeff,

Good to know you have background experience/knowledge on this topic. (Networking not Echo Dots).

Contrary to what you may seem I am not some keyboard warrior who knows nothing. While I am not a full-time professional in the IT/Telco industry I am a part-time private consultant for SMBs and residential clients in my area specializing in high-bandwidth applications, wireless solutions, and (funny enough) structured cabling. This is mainly due to the fact that I am still a high school student.

I fully agree with what you believe is the issue since this seems to only be an issue with third party streaming services and not Amazon's in-house Prime music. I have contacted Amazon about this and I made it up to Tier 3 where they informed me that they knew of the issue and then hinted that they were not inclined to do much of anything to fix the issue. 

I also agree with you that wireless connectivity or power are unlikely causes.

Cat5:

I assume you too misunderstood my post. That was not an actual or probable application. Yes I was talking about Cat5, not Cat5e. I do have to disgaree with you as most other I know in the field refer to Cat5e as Cat5e, as the extra syllable doesn't add much length or required effort while being, in theory, more correct. I do know Cat5e is capable of gigabit speeds however Cat5 is not.

I personally am kind of fed up with Alexa and I am looking to switch to a Google Home Mini as it seems to be a better and more well-rounded product.

P.S. Saw your second posting. No apology warranted and your comment did not add confusion. While I agree sub-conversations are sometimes distracting and confusing I they are inevitable and in some cases interesting.

Thanks,

glockwood

lockwoodg
Music Fan

Sorry, D-LINK. I didn't know you were using APs and I didn't know it was purchased 10 years ago.

I don't know if you are still in the market for a new network (using this as a general term even though the nomenclature is incorrect). If you are look at Ubiquiti, specifically their UniFi line which covers basic home labs, to full-fledged enterprise setups which I might not use Ubiquiti for, and everything in between. For basic I would go with the basic security gateway (serves as a router and super basic firewall policies (super)), and whichever AP fits you. I deploy only UniFi in most of my clients unless they request otherwise and I deployed it in my own home. 

SAPReApEr
Regular

Thanks I will look into it. I have no experience with those. At work of course everything is CISCO (which I would love to afford but cannot) and the time to setup with the interfaces I just don't want to spend at home.

ReAp

dsach
Regular

I think I found the solution! It's not a network problem, at least not for me. 

First of all, I had the same problem that playback with Spotify randomly paused and resumed while playing.

At first, I figured out that it only stops when my phone was connected via Bluetooth.

Finally, I found that, even when Alexa plays music, it's still a Bluetooth speaker for my phone. So when I used my phone and it did some UI sound, these sounds would be also played via Alexa. This caused it to interrupt the music for a second.

So I just disabled all my UI sounds and there are no random stops anymore :)

However, other sounds like Whatsapp notifications still will interrupt playback. The only full solution I know is to mute the phone while connected to Alexa or to disconnect Bluetooth. 

lockwoodg
Music Fan

This post pertains to the use of Spotify Connect on Alexa. Not the use of Alexa as a Bluetooth speaker. If you are using an Echo device as a Bluetooth speaker then yes it will pause for notifications. To fix that just put your phone on vibrate or mute and the music will not be interrupted. The issue attempting to be resolved in this thread is music outright stopping in the middle of a stream when using Spotify Connect to use an Echo device as an Connect speaker.

However, you are correct in saying that this issue is not network related. 

spiro111

I have the same issue. When listening to Amazon Music it never cuts when I listen to spotify it stops playing. 

Grenyes

Hi!

Same problem here. I've tried everything and Spotify after a few songs (never more than 10, sometimes after the first song) just stops playing in my Echo (always after the end of a song).

I've tried resetting all my devices, close session in all devices except Echo, checked my wifi signal quality and channel and nothing. Spotify cannot reliably play music in my Echo.

With Amazon Music never happens, only with Spotify.

I hope this issue is solved soon because my continuity in Spotify depends on it, and it will be a real shame...

SUGGESTED POSTS