Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify and the Onkyo TX-NR515

Spotify and the Onkyo TX-NR515

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Onkyo TX-NR515 - Android Phone - Windows Desktop App

Operating System

Android 7 and 8, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi
I have had a TX-NR515 for about 5 years now.  It is connected to the network via Ethernet and I can control it from the Onkyo app on my Android phone absolutely fine, it also plays DLNA and Internet Radio fine over the network.
I have not had Spotify Premium until this week so I thought I would try it now I do.  I have read that Spotify was pulled from some Onkyo models last year, but have seen on forums that people are using it on the 515 since then.  I have changed the friendly name to TXNR515 and to Onkyo (as they suggested to remove the hyphen), it is also connected via DHCP and it has the latest firmware (1171-7110-0500)
When I use the Spotify app or web player, the Onkyo is not listed as a device (it can be seen on my home network as a media player though, but not by Spotify)
When I try to login to Spotify on the Onkyo, it says "login error, please check your account information."  I have tried to use both my username and email address as the login, and the password is 100% as I have logged out and in again on other devices to make sure I was using the right password.  I have also tried my sisters account and it makes no difference.
SHOULD Spotify still work on the 515? Am I trying it the right way? Is there anything else to try?
Thanks in advance

8 Replies

Hey @vanginger,

Thanks for the post. First of all, regarding logging in on your Spotify account directly via the Receiver, we suggest contacting the manufacturer as we're unfortunately not able to control what's available for you there. 

We still want to help you use the Connect feature to access your receiver from other devices. First, make sure that your Spotify app is up to date. Then try the following:

• Restart your router and reconnect to Wifi
  • If possible, connect your receiver to your Wifi instead
  • Try a different internet connections on your devices, but make sure they are connected to the same one. 

Let us know how it goes.

Hi Jemi

Thanks for the reply.  I have contacted Onkyo, I just found that most people had their (similar) problems solved on this forum.

Have done all that though and still no luck.  Latest Spotify app on my phone and tablet (also PC web player too).  Router rebooted.  The Receiver doesn't have wifi, just ethernet but obviously my phone and tablet are wifi.  However, the PC is ethernet, so on the same network connection type.

Hey again @vanginger,

As this article suggests, try switching off the Show local devices only setting. This means your app will try to find nearby devices that aren’t on the same internet connection as you. Here's how:

1. Tap Home 
    Got Premium? Tap Your Library 
  2. Tap Settings 
  3. Tap Devices.
  4. Switch off Show local devices only and try Connect again.

Also, make sure that the device's software is up-to-date. If you don't know, check with your device's manufacturer for how to update the version software. 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks again but it is already set to play on non-local devices. Surely the device I am playing on will need to somehow be registered with Spotify as me?

Does Spotify really work on Onkyo TX-NR515?

Yep!I spoke to Onkyo and finally got there. It was taken off some models and changed on others, the 515 being one of the changed ones.
You cannot control Spotify thru the receiver but you can play it thru it, as a local speaker.
You need the latest Spotify app and to have the latest Onkyo firmware. I can check later but I think it had 5100 in there somewhere and came out around 2015/16.
I made the mistake of saving all my settings and then restoring them after the update, this must've restored some spotify settings too so it didn't work.

Update to latest firmware
Then do a factory reset
Set your receiver up again as you like it, 'manually'. You can use the wizard but do not restore settings.

Then, using the Spotify app (I'm on android), select the Onkyo as the output speaker. It should just come up in the list, nothing to do on the amp, just make sure it's turned on. No need to login to spotify on the amp (in fact I don't think its even possible to).

I read somewhere that you need to change the amp name from whatever the default is. I did that before I tried all the above so not sure if it made a difference or not. I was also told to reboot the router and have the amp connected direct to the router not thru a switch (I'm using Ethernet, not tried wifi).

If you're not sure how to do any of the above, let me know, and I'll dig out the links. All this is off the top of my head.

Thanks for your reply...but how do you change the amp name?

Either using the Onkyo Remote app (on Android, in settings) or via the web interface - find the IP address of your amp and browse to it on a web browser.
Can't do it on the amp itself

Suggested posts