Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify audiophile playback from Desktop

Spotify audiophile playback from Desktop

3 Questions to ensure high-fidelity from computer playback..

- Spotify Premium Membership (and high-quality streaming turned "on")

- Playing Spotify on Windows 7 Desktop via Soundblaster Audigy FX line out.  (PCI card)

1) Do I want the Spotify AND Windows master volume to be set to 100% top volume? Will this provide optimum signal quality?

2) The Soundblaster provides 24 bit conversion @ 192 kHz.... Will the purchase of a specific external DAC unit improve sound - noticeably?

3) If external DAC is needed - what recommendations on brand and model?

Note: My stereo is a Bryston Integrated B260R - but no built-in DAC...

3 Replies

I'd say that it depends on your system. If your speakers are cheap you would be better off upgrading that part before looking at dacs. But if you have decent speakers you should most def look for a external dac. There are a lot of them out there, if you are on an budget you can always buy used stuff(check the reviews). I bought a benchmark dac1 used which I am very pleased with.

Thanks for the reply.. 🙂

The speakers are definitely audiophile (PMC).. 

Will look into the Benchmark DAC (thanks).. 

I see that Creative Labs has a DAC for $399 - yet the output specs are exactly the same as their Soundblaster Audigy FX PCI soundcard ($59).. Their $399 DAC has more inputs - but apparently no better at sound output.. Seems important to look at specs before making a purchase..

Yeah I always check specs too. I've never used Creative Labs equipment, but I think they are more oriented towards the IT-crowd than the hifi-crowd. My current benchmark does not sport any USB-connectability which of course is a downer, but on the upside it has XLR-outputs along with the good old RCA. Who knows if I'll ever use them though 😉

Suggested posts