Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't connect to Chromecast Audio (again)

Solved!

Spotify can't connect to Chromecast Audio (again)

Plan

Premium

Country

NL

Device

Multiple Android phones and tablets

Operating System

Most Android 10, some older

My Question or Issue

For many years Spotify has connection issues with our Chromecast Audio devices.
It might work flawlessly for weeks (or even months) and then suddenly connection errors appear.
The issue starts after selecting a Chromecast device from within Spotify. You hear the familiar connection sound from the speakers connected to the Chromecast but in the app nothing happens, you only see the blinking cast icon. Then after a minute it stops blinking, unconnected.
Sometimes if you try it again it works. Sometimes you can 'repair' the situation by starting Google Home and press Stop casting (although nothing was casted).
But over the last years there were also occasions where nothing helped. Rebooting phones and Chromecasts, reinstalling Spotify, nothing. And suddenly the next day or so it starts working again.

This is an issue FOR YEARS. VERY ANNOYING. I have a family subscription and all family members face this problem on a regular basis, which means on different phones, with different accounts and with different Chromecast devices. I'm sure it must be in Spotify (or in Spotify's Chromecast API implementation) as other apps don’t have this problem and are able to cast flawlessly when these issues appear in Spotify. Note that my network infrastructure is in a very good shape and the heaviest used Chromecast devices are connected by Ethernet.

Yesterday I (unfortunately) updated all Spotify apps on our devices (version 8 dec 2020). Initially I was able to cast to one of my devices, and now it fails to connect, on any device to any of my Chromecast devices.

Out of frustration I deleted Spotify and installed a (self backupped) version of 2019 (8.5.9.737). And this one works! Another proof IMO that it’s within the Spotify app.

If there’s a way to debug this issue (by enabling logging for example) please let me know.

Top Answer
D1N0
Regular

I just got it going again by going to https://open.spotify.com/ in Google chrome and used chrome's tab cast functionality to cast to the chromecast (audio). This freed up something because now all my other clients suddenly work again. This is a Spotify connect issue with the chromecast.

Top Answer
CarlosE

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts on this thread.

We're aware of the intermittent connection and playback issues with Chromecast and we're continuously trying to optimize the netcode and API integrations to make this occur as little as possible.

We've also made sure to pass all the info you've shared to the relevant teams. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I just got it going again by going to https://open.spotify.com/ in Google chrome and used chrome's tab cast functionality to cast to the chromecast (audio). This freed up something because now all my other clients suddenly work again. This is a Spotify connect issue with the chromecast.

View solution in original post

131 Replies

Exact the same issue here! This is very anoying Spotify, when are you gonna solve this up for good?

Same here. Ongoing intermittent issues for years, as of today I can't get it to work at all.

I have the same problem with Win10 computer and Android Phone. Both are up to date. Spotify app tries to connect forever. Web browser won't let cast either, says "Failed to cast. Try again later."

I am able to cast everything else except spotify.

Please FIX asap and for good, so I don't have to start looking for a new music streaming app.

I listen with Chromecast almost exclusively. Switched over from Google Play Music a few weeks ago and it's been fine up until this morning, when it won't cast at all. I've tried logging in and out, clearing app's data, uninstalling app, rebooting my phone, rebooting my chromecast, etc.

Nothing seems to work and this is extremely frustrating since Chromecast is my main listening source.

was having the same issues, been solid for years though for me up until this morning. Uninstalled the app and reinstall and now its working again. Also, use a mix of home mini's and CCA's(use the CCA's pretty exclusively) and was having issues across the board. Anything spotify connect worked fine though when the others were borked. Had a cowoker run a test and his hub never stopped working. 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We're sorry to hear that you experience this.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Also - can you restart your router to see if the issue persist?

If that doesn't do the trick - can you let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

and this morning I have this issue again. Google home "sorry, something went wrong" and all apps cannot connect to anything but spotify connect, so all cast devices are not working. 

3 google homes all at: 1.50.229149

app versions: 8.5.88.883

rebooted everything, no joy. reinstlled like I did yesterday to get it working but still a no go. 

Hey again @Njxph1,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you check if the device firmware are up to date?

If it's possible - can you try with another internet connection and see if the issue persist?

Keep us posted!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy,

I know you’re a appreciated moderator and problem solver but your suggestions seem just to be grabbed from your default list. They don’t solve actually anything and most answers are in my initial post. In detail:

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.
Caching has nothing to with it:

• I removed the 8-dec version and installed an older version. That means indeed cleaning and installing. However today my wife phone still couldn’t connect. I installed the older version on her phone using adb install -r -d Spotify\ 8.5.9.737.apk which means any caching or downloads remains intact. After this she can connect to any Chromecast, which proves it has nothing to do with caching.
    Note that I know how to work with adb and have Spotify apk backups. The regular user hasn’t.
  • Let’s put it the other way around. Let’s says it has to do with caching, why isn’t Spotify solving this issue in the app instead of burding its users with these problems? Note that this is an INTERMITTANT PROBLEM FOR YEARS.

Also - can you restart your router to see if the issue persist?
My router has nothing to do with it:

• As I already mentioned my carefully maintained network is in a very good shape. My OpenWrt driven router is scheduled to restart every Thursday.
  • When this issue popped up yesterday I installed an older version of Spotify and this one can connect to any Chromecast – without restarting my router.

If that doesn't do the trick - can you let us know which version of the app you have?
That’s in my initial post: the 8-dec-2020 version. The 2019 (8.5.9.737) version works however.

Hey there @alpenblauwtje,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We appreciate the time you've taken to try those suggestions and for all the info you've shared. We've suggested those steps as they might be helpful for other users as well.

Just to make sure we cover all our bases, we still recommend running a clean reinstall of the app on the affected devices making sure to follow all the specific steps in this article.

Regarding the Spotify app, there's currently a newer version available, so it'll be updated once you perform the clean reinstall. Let us know how it goes after that.

If the issue persists, could you check if your devices' firmware is up to date?

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

Hello CarlosE,

Just to make sure we cover all our bases, we still recommend running a clean reinstall of the app on the affected devices.

All devices (4!) suddenly face this problem after updating. At least this time, usually the problem occurs suddenly for a version of the app that is installed for weeks or months. It's in issue not only for me and my family but also for others as you can read in the comments. And if you read all the information I provided in previous posts you'll see that it occurs on clean and used installs. Instead of seriously investigating the issue at Spotify you put the burden again at the end user by a lazy recommendation to reinstall.

Regarding the Spotify app, there's currently a newer version available, so it'll be updated once you perform the clean reinstall. Let us know how it goes after that.

That doesn't work either at the moment. But probably it is going to work in a few days, like it did in the last few years.

If the issue persists, could you check if your devices' firmware is up to date?

The software and firmware of all our devices (phones/tablets/chromecasts) run the latest version (and are still be supported).

I repeat: This is an intermittent issue for years, where it suddenly stops working, sometimes on a single device, sometimes on all. This time it occurred immediately after updated the app though. Usually it starts working again in a day or days, without updating the app. So the issue is not solely in the app, usually the problem occurs suddenly for a version of the app that is installed for weeks or months.

IMHO it must be a combination of the app, Spotify's servers and/or Spotify's Chromecast API implementation.

Hey folks!

Thanks for reporting this to us.

We’re receiving reports about Spotify having connection issues with Chromecast.

First, we'd recommend trying a clean reinstall of the app on your device by following the steps here. It's also a good idea to restart your router.

If after that you’re still having trouble with this, could you provide us with the following info:

• Current (affected) Spotify version .
  • Last working Spotify version.
  • Affected devices, including their OS version.

Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

Thanks!

CarlosEModerator

Still having this issue.

I just got a new phone so there aren't cache files that could be laying around from old versions of the app. Casting stops randomly recently.

Hey there folks,

Since we haven't received any other contacts or reports after we asked for more info, we'll be moving this thread back to the Help section.

If you're still experiencing issues with Chromecast we'd recommend you first check out this thread and leave your details in a comment there, so that we can continue with the investigation.

Hope this info is helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else!

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Xenia,

Like I stated before, when this problem occurs it usually starts working again after a few days, like it did in the last few years. And this time it was no exception.

I don't have the impression Spotify is taking this issue any serious. Even though I provided very detailed information the default response was 'Please install the app again', 'Perhaps restart your router'.

These delaying tactics will not solve the problem, and it will appear again in the future. Like it did many times in the past.

At least now I know it is pointless to call for help on this forum.

@CarlosE 

@Xenia 

I would like to be completely honest at this point: Your (default) comments are somewhat frustrating.

Once again, also from my side: This is not an error caused by problems on the users site.

• It cannot be (permanently) solved by reinstalling.
  • It cannot be solved by deleting the cache.
  • It does not depend on the device.
  • It does not depend on the firmware.
  • It does not depend on the Wifi.

It is simply not a user error. To make a long story short: It is definitely a technical error on the part of Spotify, respectively regarding the Spotify API for Chromecast.

This is also clearly proven by the descriptions of @alpenblauwtje in this post and in this post.

There have been posts about this here again and again for a long time.

It would be a great help if you could actually take the problem seriously and allow a deep review by your tech department instead of giving default answers and suggestions.

I have been following the various posts on this forum re: Spotify and Chromecast audio connection issues and I completely agree with the majority of user comments. I have had issues with Spotify app not finding the Chromecast audio since I started using it 2 years ago and after having spent the first months going through all the basic troubleshooting provided by Spotify support (incl. re-installing app, rebooting router, factory resets, firmware upgrades, using different devices etc.) and testing on different Chromecast audio devices I have just numbly accepted that this connection apparently just won't be fixed. It is a damn bad user friendliness you are showing, Spotify, and I made an attempt in leaving you for Tidal, which frankly had the same issue, so now I am idling for a third solution. In the mean time, Spotify, feel free to get that error fixed - as seen from the many votes, this error is on your end - not ours!

Yeeh it's that day again!

(Where Spotify can't connect to my Chromecast.)

Just another unhappy user with the same issues documented above. I don't see a clear patter with the Android App behavior during the connection attempts to CC Audio. Sometimes, a long bit of trial and errors serves as temp workaround and, other times, it doesn't.

Suggestion - why are Spotify folks not asking for specific information to investigate the issue further (e.g. OS / app logs) and how to retrieve them?

Suggested posts