Announcements

Spotify can't connect to Chromecast Audio (again)

Spotify can't connect to Chromecast Audio (again)

Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Country

NL

Device

Multiple Android phones and tablets

Operating System

Most Android 10, some older

My Question or Issue

For many years Spotify has connection issues with our Chromecast Audio devices.
It might work flawlessly for weeks (or even months) and then suddenly connection errors appear.
The issue starts after selecting a Chromecast device from within Spotify. You hear the familiar connection sound from the speakers connected to the Chromecast but in the app nothing happens, you only see the blinking cast icon. Then after a minute it stops blinking, unconnected.
Sometimes if you try it again it works. Sometimes you can 'repair' the situation by starting Google Home and press Stop casting (although nothing was casted).
But over the last years there were also occasions where nothing helped. Rebooting phones and Chromecasts, reinstalling Spotify, nothing. And suddenly the next day or so it starts working again.

This is an issue FOR YEARS. VERY ANNOYING. I have a family subscription and all family members face this problem on a regular basis, which means on different phones, with different accounts and with different Chromecast devices. I'm sure it must be in Spotify (or in Spotify's Chromecast API implementation) as other apps don’t have this problem and are able to cast flawlessly when these issues appear in Spotify. Note that my network infrastructure is in a very good shape and the heaviest used Chromecast devices are connected by Ethernet.

Yesterday I (unfortunately) updated all Spotify apps on our devices (version 8 dec 2020). Initially I was able to cast to one of my devices, and now it fails to connect, on any device to any of my Chromecast devices.

Out of frustration I deleted Spotify and installed a (self backupped) version of 2019 (8.5.9.737). And this one works! Another proof IMO that it’s within the Spotify app.

If there’s a way to debug this issue (by enabling logging for example) please let me know.

16 Replies

Re: Spotify can't connect to Chromecast Audio (again)

Visitor

Exact the same issue here! This is very anoying Spotify, when are you gonna solve this up for good?

Same here. Ongoing intermittent issues for years, as of today I can't get it to work at all.

Visitor

I have the same problem with Win10 computer and Android Phone. Both are up to date. Spotify app tries to connect forever. Web browser won't let cast either, says "Failed to cast. Try again later."

I am able to cast everything else except spotify.

Please FIX asap and for good, so I don't have to start looking for a new music streaming app.

Visitor
I listen with Chromecast almost exclusively. Switched over from Google Play Music a few weeks ago and it's been fine up until this morning, when it won't cast at all. I've tried logging in and out, clearing app's data, uninstalling app, rebooting my phone, rebooting my chromecast, etc.

Nothing seems to work and this is extremely frustrating since Chromecast is my main listening source.

Casual Listener

was having the same issues, been solid for years though for me up until this morning. Uninstalled the app and reinstall and now its working again. Also, use a mix of home mini's and CCA's(use the CCA's pretty exclusively) and was having issues across the board. Anything spotify connect worked fine though when the others were borked. Had a cowoker run a test and his hub never stopped working. 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We're sorry to hear that you experience this.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Also - can you restart your router to see if the issue persist?

If that doesn't do the trick - can you let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Casual Listener

and this morning I have this issue again. Google home "sorry, something went wrong" and all apps cannot connect to anything but spotify connect, so all cast devices are not working. 

3 google homes all at: 1.50.229149

app versions: 8.5.88.883

rebooted everything, no joy. reinstlled like I did yesterday to get it working but still a no go. 

Hey again @Njxph1,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you check if the device firmware are up to date?

If it's possible - can you try with another internet connection and see if the issue persist?

Keep us posted!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Casual Listener

Hi Jeremy,

I know you’re a appreciated moderator and problem solver but your suggestions seem just to be grabbed from your default list. They don’t solve actually anything and most answers are in my initial post. In detail:

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.
Caching has nothing to with it:

• I removed the 8-dec version and installed an older version. That means indeed cleaning and installing. However today my wife phone still couldn’t connect. I installed the older version on her phone using adb install -r -d Spotify\ 8.5.9.737.apk which means any caching or downloads remains intact. After this she can connect to any Chromecast, which proves it has nothing to do with caching.
    Note that I know how to work with adb and have Spotify apk backups. The regular user hasn’t.
  • Let’s put it the other way around. Let’s says it has to do with caching, why isn’t Spotify solving this issue in the app instead of burding its users with these problems? Note that this is an INTERMITTANT PROBLEM FOR YEARS.

Also - can you restart your router to see if the issue persist?
My router has nothing to do with it:

• As I already mentioned my carefully maintained network is in a very good shape. My OpenWrt driven router is scheduled to restart every Thursday.
  • When this issue popped up yesterday I installed an older version of Spotify and this one can connect to any Chromecast – without restarting my router.

If that doesn't do the trick - can you let us know which version of the app you have?
That’s in my initial post: the 8-dec-2020 version. The 2019 (8.5.9.737) version works however.

SUGGESTED POSTS