Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't play this right now. Why not?

Spotify can't play this right now. Why not?

Plan

Premium

Country

United States of America

Device

Desktop Computer

Operating System

Windows 8.1

My Question or Issue

I'm trying to listen to a song, it's actually a rendition of a song made by another artist. I've listened to it before, but I can't listen to it now. It says; 'Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it.'

I don't have the file on my computer, but would still like to listen to it. Why is this happening? I'd love to share the URL, however I can't access it at all.

The title is, "Or Nah Rendition" by SoMo

46 Replies

I'm having the same issue right now. It only affects Spotify on my Win10 PC (phone works fine). Very annoying--I can't play anything!

I've tried exiting and restarting the program and logging out/in again, but nothing helps.

Same here! It cycles through like 5 or 6 songs, then stops, and gives that error message. This happens pretty frequently to me on my mobile app as well for the past several months 😞

Having the same issue on Mac OS 10.13.3

Cant listen to albums that I listen to regularly. Ive had this happen before on a couple song here and there but today its REALLY bad. Full albums by multiple different artists.

Definitely annoying, this is not what I pay for. Not to mention the whole Drake fiasco a few weeks ago that Spotify brushed under the rug. Might be time to switch. 

I have the same problem here, it works on my phone, but this freaking message keeps showing up on my wind10 desktop... So annoying.

not sure if this helps but you can try going to edit>preference>local files
uncheck everything and you're good to go. works for me at least.

Thanks dude, it worked perfectly ! 

Unfortunately not working for me.

Exact same problem, since today. Solution offered by zulmstp didn't work.

Nothing plays! Not 1 track on any of my playlists.

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it" ... with every track on every one of my playlists.

I am a premium user too.

Spotify please fix this asap (paying 10 euros for complete silence get's a bit boring already).

Yhanks.

Hi @nakeigh,

I had exactly the same problem, suddenly from about 10 days ago, until 15 minutes ago. I tried about anything (20-25 possible solutions) from the Spot. Community and finally Spotify helpdesk.

But nothing worked.

Then, I installed Java and Adobe Flash and this did it!

(I thought both were installed, but it turned out they were not (anymore?) )

Don't know why, and others who tried this (which solved their problem as well) say the same (don't know why this worked).

Why not give it a try?

Hope it helps!

Best,

Arnoud 

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Thanks, this fixed my issue.

My SOLUTION for Mac OS 10.13.3 (17D47)

I went to:

Library/Application Support/Spotify

Then deleted everything in that Spotify folder and restarted the Spotify app. It made me sign back in but everything played and worked! 

From what I've read the issue can be songs that are saved locally, either the file is corrupted or not communicating with the app.

PS: To get to the hidden library where these files are located (on Mac) click your desktop then click "GO" in the top menu. Once it drops down, hold the option/alt key and you will see Library appear, then navigate to the file path Library/Application Support/Spotify.

Hope this helps some people!

I've had the same issue, but the fix I found was to go to the dreadful Microsoft Store and download the spotify application from there after uninstalling your current Spotify application. Or if you already use the Microsoft Store version, try doing the opposite and download the installer from their website.

I did all that and still not playing It's saying need ever stored locally I tried that on my phone and it still would not play Spotify needs to fix this Immediately 

spot.PNG

I had that issue earlier, and I found - weirdly - that favouriting the song made it play. I could safely un-favourite it afterwards and it still worked. I have no idea why that would help, but if you're still not having any luck it might be worth a shot.

Begun to notice this problem from today, however it could of been since last update on Saturday. All songs on 2 of my playlist are greyed out with the can't play right now message, plus a few on my other playlists. Even songs that are not local files. This is only on my Mac, on my HP laptop and my iPhone it works as normal no problem. What on earth has gone on here? I've tried reinstalling and deleting the Library files.

My solution was to restart my computer...logining in and out of spotify wont cut it.  You have to completely restart computer and then it works.  It sucks but thats the only solution that works for me on my work computer and my laptop.

on moblie there is a setting to filter explict music )im not sure if pc has) it but if it is on it causes spotify to not play the song if it is explict if you try to manually play it

I'm having the same problems on my Mac. Try restarting and didn't work.

@seekrits@seekrits wrote:

My SOLUTION for Mac OS 10.13.3 (17D47)

I went to:

Library/Application Support/Spotify

Then deleted everything in that Spotify folder and restarted the Spotify app. It made me sign back in but everything played and worked! 

From what I've read the issue can be songs that are saved locally, either the file is corrupted or not communicating with the app.

PS: To get to the hidden library where these files are located (on Mac) click your desktop then click "GO" in the top menu. Once it drops down, hold the option/alt key and you will see Library appear, then navigate to the file path Library/Application Support/Spotify.

Hope this helps some people!

With this solution, do you suggest DELETING everything inside the Spotify folder? I have I have 3 folders: PersistentCache, User Data, and Users.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 9.04.01 AM.png

To this method that myothername recommended: "favouriting the song made it play. I could safely un-favourite it afterwards and it still worked."

It's strange that this works, but it just worked for me. Thanks!

Suggested posts