Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify ceased to function on Onkyo CR-N755 receiver

Spotify ceased to function on Onkyo CR-N755 receiver

Since this weekend I realised I could not log-in to Spotify anymore on my Onkyo receiver. Initially I thought I had entered the wrong password. However, after online research I found out that Spotify has ceased to function on some older Onkyo products including my network mini-hifi, which I believe is from 2012 (not 2011 as it says on the Onkyo website): http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/cr-n755-90333.html 

Is this an issue by Spotify or Onkyo? Will there be a firmware update so that Spotify will function again?

16 Replies

Hey folks, welcome to the Spotify Community!

As Spotify looks to improve the overall Spotify experience, they are removing the app from all Onkyo speakers.

Don’t worry, there are still plenty of ways to stream Spotify on your speaker! Check out their guide here or head to www.spotify.com/speakers/.

Let me know if you have questions.

Have a great day! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the answer Huib. I know Spotify wants to improve. That's good for you.

However, I have this Onkyo receiver because I simply want to have the option to play Spotify on my stereo system without having to use a mobile device, a TV or my Playstation. Now I have no experience anymore.

I love progress, but this is sad, really.

Basically the money grabbing tossers as Spotify have decided to punish early adopters who have inested in their "eco-system" by pulling support for individual devide integration.

Your Onkyo is now toast, like mine and everyone elses.

wow, way to go, spotify. Will cancel my subscription asap.. I bought this receiver not even half a year ago with the intent of also listening to spotify. Disappointing is an understatement!!

How can my overall Spotify experience be improved by Spotify ceasing to function on my Onkyo system?

The only way I can listen to Spotify on my Onkyo now is by connecting my phone to the Onkyo USB port. Terrible support from Spotify.

So in short we need to spend £45 for a chromact audio (device + optical cable) to keep a similar feature than what we had before (I just re-subscribed today to spotify because I realy like the conveniance of the onkyo app)

Is it the end of the story or will Sportify to something for its early adopter?

Yeh this sucks.  gfu spotify

yup, totally sucks.

its the one reason I bought onkyo streamer and was an early adopter

this is just a big FU to people who supported spotify in the early days

Sorry to hear others are in a similar position to me. I do believe this can be solved easily by Spotify but we need to raise our voices...

The reason for my subscription was the connection to my hifi. Else, what is the point? This is dreadful news and only recently got my subscription. Makes £1000 kit redundant.

Other posts have suggested this was Spotify retiring some API connectivity rather than Onkyo.

@spotify - Not being able to have this feature is not good enough for your premium product. Please can you tell me when you will get this feature applied?

Several years later, still no solution from Spotify or Onkyo.

So I attached a Google Chromecast to my Onkyo and now I can use Spotify on my Onkyo with the Spotify app.

I just used a ChromeCast audio until my ONKYO failed with a dead network card, and was just inside the extended warranty.

My replacement Yamaha has built in Spotify Connect, so all was well.

Why is that an "improvement"? The Spotify app was the easiest and most convenient way to stream Spotify on the Onkyo CR-N755 receiver.
Would you like it if your favourite apps just stopped being supported on your smart TV? I guess you would see it as an improvement in your overall experience. I would just feel cheated.
What an absurd answer, I wish I could vote it down.

Are you replying to me?

When did I say it was an improvement?

This functionality died in 2017 - you obviously didn't read my post from back then (in his very thread) , but then again, if you hadn't realised that your ONKYO would no longer link to Spotify for nearly 4 years, there's not much hope for you.

@ penarthur

You're really getting ahead of yourself FIFI.
I didn't reply to you and I knew about the issue a while ago.

Suggested posts